Battery going haywire

ChronoArk

Jun 28, 2009
California
Hey there guys this is my first post and it's a problem I just got.

Today I woke up and my phone was charged at 100% so I take my phone

3 hours later with only 1 hour of usage i'm down to 70%

Does anyone know why my battery has never done this before and I've had this 3gs since launch

thanks in advance.

Unless you have a lot of processes running in the background constantly(3g,Wifi,Bluetooth) and the screen set to never lock then it sounds like a faulty battery. If in fact you are running a lot of stuff then try cutting back and see what that does. If the problem persists i would take it to an Apple store and inquire about a replacement.

ChronoArk

Jun 28, 2009
California
I wasn't running anything just light Internet usage the rest of the time it was sitting in my pocket.

If this keeps happening should I go to Apple?

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
well, it has something to do with signal strength, pages visited, etc.
But I agree that 30% for one hour is on the extreme side.

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
I have bluetooth and wireless always switched on aswel as 3g. I use the phone for 40 minutes cycling to work listening to music, then its sat on my desk all day with a few emails / texts phone calls with moderate game usage on lunch. I then cycle home listening to music at night and by the time i get home, I have about 25% battery left. Im reasonably happy with that?

ChronoArk

Jun 28, 2009
California
Thanks for the input and info guys and to croucher that's even worse than the Problem I had, you should get that looked at.

Also my battery has been fine for today so far I'll see if my battery messes up anymore.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
and to croucher that's even worse than the Problem I had, you should get that looked at.
I disagree. 25% at the end of the day doesn't sound bad at all to me.

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
Yes, i agree, thats why i put i was reasonably happy with it. However, the screen is rarely in use, and i guess thats why the battery lasts so well / wellish? lol

ZipZap

Silver
Dec 15, 2007
I think this is all V3 related...I'll bet the next update will correct.

rdrast

Jul 7, 2009
Again, new owner here, but as with all cell phones, I see a huge drop in battery life when at work (steel building, no service mostly), but it's fine at the house. At work, with 90% "No Service", I go from 100% to about 45% in a day (but that is using Safari over WiFi a lot as well). At home, or anywhere away from work, I can use it the same, but only go from 100% in the morning to 80 or 85% by the end of the day. /shrug

I haven't figured out how to turn off things "Easily", and for the most part, I want all wireless options turned on for autoconnect anyway. My last phone had a simple one-touch button to enable/disable WiFi/Bluetooth/CellPhone, and I'm sure there's an app for it (but that's still at least two touches :p )

AntonChigurh

Bronze
Jan 30, 2008
Again, new owner here, but as with all cell phones, I see a huge drop in battery life when at work (steel building, no service mostly), but it's fine at the house. At work, with 90% "No Service", I go from 100% to about 45% in a day (but that is using Safari over WiFi a lot as well). At home, or anywhere away from work, I can use it the same, but only go from 100% in the morning to 80 or 85% by the end of the day. /shrug

I haven't figured out how to turn off things "Easily", and for the most part, I want all wireless options turned on for autoconnect anyway. My last phone had a simple one-touch button to enable/disable WiFi/Bluetooth/CellPhone, and I'm sure there's an app for it (but that's still at least two touches :p )
To turn off that go to Settings and turn Airplane Mode on.