Battery Icon in Menu Bar: Service Battery

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
On my MacBook Pro it says 'Service Battery' in the menu shown below. Has anyone ever seen this before?

Last edited by a moderator:

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I think my battery is dead. As in I need a new one. I've left it on standby in my bag for a week. I couldn't believe it even turned on ;(

^Yes. You will need a new battery. Your batteries health decreases over time

MrMike6by9

Evangelist
Gold
Nov 16, 2008
Maryland, USA
Has anyone ever seen this before?

I have an older battery but links I've read suggest that it may be a Snow Leopard issue also.

Here's a link from the Apple Support forum for the MBP.

Here's the TUAW link from late September that clued me to this problem and has allowed me to wait until 10.6.2 comes out to see if that helps before buying a replacement battery.

With this being a first gen MBP, I might decide to buy a newer, refurb model before spending around $100+ for a new battery since I would not mind having a faster processor and a larger HD and being able to have more than 2GB of RAM.

YMMV

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
I have an older battery but links I've read suggest that it may be a Snow Leopard issue also.

Here's a link from the Apple Support forum for the MBP.

Here's the TUAW link from late September that clued me to this problem and has allowed me to wait until 10.6.2 comes out to see if that helps before buying a replacement battery.

With this being a first gen MBP, I might decide to buy a newer, refurb model before spending around $100+ for a new battery since I would not mind having a faster processor and a larger HD and being able to have more than 2GB of RAM.

YMMV
I did see the Apple discussion post, I am hoping that it is indeed a SL bug. I just shut down and turned on my computer and I do not see the service battery anymore. We will have to see.