Battery Icon in Menu Bar: Service Battery

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by smknSRT8, Nov 6, 2009.

1. smknSRT8

smknSRT8 Zealot
    Gold

On my MacBook Pro it says 'Service Battery' in the menu shown below. Has anyone ever seen this before?

[​IMG]

#1 smknSRT8, Nov 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2013
  2. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

I think my battery is dead. As in I need a new one. I've left it on standby in my bag for a week. I couldn't believe it even turned on ;(

^Yes. You will need a new battery. Your batteries health decreases over time

3. MrMike6by9

MrMike6by9 Evangelist
    Gold

I have an older battery but links I've read suggest that it may be a Snow Leopard issue also.

Here's a link from the Apple Support forum for the MBP.

Here's the TUAW link from late September that clued me to this problem and has allowed me to wait until 10.6.2 comes out to see if that helps before buying a replacement battery.

With this being a first gen MBP, I might decide to buy a newer, refurb model before spending around $100+ for a new battery since I would not mind having a faster processor and a larger HD and being able to have more than 2GB of RAM.

YMMV

4. smknSRT8

smknSRT8 Zealot
    Gold

I did see the Apple discussion post, I am hoping that it is indeed a SL bug. I just shut down and turned on my computer and I do not see the service battery anymore. We will have to see.

5. MrMike6by9

MrMike6by9 Evangelist
    Gold

I read this Apple discussion post that sounds promising but I'm also shopping for a good source for a replacement battery as well.

YMMV