Battery in a launch day iPhone that was never used?

Black Mamba

Bronze
Jun 14, 2009
Looking at a new iPhone on ebay that was purchased on the launch day and the only concern I have is the battery. Would the battery still be any good since it has never been charged and discharged for 2 years. Thanks

Redon

Apr 26, 2009
Orlando, FL
don't buy it the battery will suck.

i just reached 150 posts

Black Mamba

Bronze
Jun 14, 2009
Thats kind of what I thought. Sounds fishy anyway. Who would buy a 500+ phone and let it sit for 2 years?

jimmyrules712

Bronze
Sep 21, 2007
Batteries lose their ability to hold a charge over time after being discharged and recharged a lot. A battery that hasn't been used, even if it is a bit old, should still work pretty well.

Eninety2

Silver
Jul 22, 2008
to give you an idea, my GF bought two V1 iPhones on launch day, and one sat in her closet for well over a year. According to her, it was her backup in case anything happened to the first one. She didn't even get the $100 credit.

Black Mamba

Bronze
Jun 14, 2009
to give you an idea, my GF bought two V1 iPhones on launch day, and one sat in her closet for well over a year. According to her, it was her backup in case anything happened to the first one. She didn't even get the $100 credit.
Not sure I follow you. What do you mean she didn't even get the $100 credit?

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Not sure I follow you. What do you mean she didn't even get the $100 credit?
Remember how expensive they were on iDay? Apple refunded everyone that bought it for the higher price because they lowered it a few months later.

Black Mamba

Bronze
Jun 14, 2009
I know they were expensive just not sure what that has to do with the battery. lol

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I have no idea how that is relevant either, but I guess Eninety2's point was that she kept it as a back up, and never used it, when she could have sold it and made much more than she could now.

I'd be weary of a battery that hasn't been charged in 2 years. The V1's with daily use still seem to be running strong though.

Redon

Apr 26, 2009
Orlando, FL
I have no idea how that is relevant either, but I guess Eninety2's point was that she kept it as a back up, and never used it, when she could have sold it and made much more than she could now.

I'd be weary of a battery that hasn't been charged in 2 years. The V1's with daily use still seem to be running strong though.
yes, my V1 is still running strong, bought it a week after iDay but thats because i use it a lot as a development device...(orginally used as personal phone)