Battery Indication Telling Lies.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
So i was using my, browsing a little on safari. As you all know you check the battery from time to time to see how long you've got left :(

Next minute my phone died on the spot. I was like 'WTF' my battery indicated full. I thought my phone had a heart attack in my hand and just gave up.

Solution: After panicking to try and revive my phone i thought i'd plug it in and hope it would sort of jump start it back to life.

Next minute i get the battery charging screen- the battery had no juice in it.

Has anyone else had there phone's battery tell them lies...?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I had a similar problem once. It was back on FW 2x and the same day I updated to a new version. The FW update was supposed to improve battery life, but I was amazed because I was using the phone for 5+ hours and it still showed about 95%. Then suddenly the 20% remaining alert popped up.

Since the battery died, it should reset and be more accurate with the next charging cycle. Post back if it isn't.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
It's charging up as usual now, it just seemed weird for my phone to behave like that. It indicated 94% then turned off. I honestly thought my phone had given up.

MrMike6by9

Evangelist
Gold
Nov 16, 2008
Maryland, USA
The battery care instructions on the Apple site tells you to let the battery die once about every month or so for battery calibration. Other than that, it advises to never fully drain the battery if possible. I learned about this with my first gen MBP.

YMMV

Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
Another trick that helps for the phone's battery is to do a hard reset while the phone is plugged into the USB cord to iTunes and then let it recharge to 100% while still connected to the computer. Tinman here said that an Apple genius told him to do that and its another battery calibration tool and I can attest that it does work. My battery was getting weird and was losing a precent a minute regardless of use or not, plugged my phone into the computer, did a hard reset and let it charge to 100%, and now my battery is back to normal. Hope this helps!

Jul 30, 2009
Another trick that helps for the phone's battery is to do a hard reset while the phone is plugged into the USB cord to iTunes and then let it recharge to 100% while still connected to the computer. Tinman here said that an Apple genius told him to do that and its another battery calibration tool and I can attest that it does work. My battery was getting weird and was losing a precent a minute regardless of use or not, plugged my phone into the computer, did a hard reset and let it charge to 100%, and now my battery is back to normal. Hope this helps!
10x! I gave a try and it helped me

bass_lover1

Bronze
Aug 19, 2008
I'm guessing that plugging it into the wall would work also? My phone is never hooked up to my PC unless I need to sync, I always charge it on the wall charger.

gotzaiPhone

Zealot
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
I'm guessing that plugging it into the wall would work also? My phone is never hooked up to my PC unless I need to sync, I always charge it on the wall charger.
I haven't tried it that way, but you can always try. The worst that will happen is that it doesn't work. Then you'll have to get to a computer with iTunes.

bass_lover1

Bronze
Aug 19, 2008
I haven't tried it that way, but you can always try. The worst that will happen is that it doesn't work. Then you'll have to get to a computer with iTunes.
It works, I tried it last night.

I used the phone for a little bit to get the level down to 95% I plugged it into the wall and it instantly said 96%. I did the reset and when the phone turned back on the battery level went down from 96 to 93%.

I woke up this morning, I did my usual email check which normally after an all night charge, would drop it down to 99% even when it's still on the charger, this time the battery didn't even budge.

I'm flying out to Seattle today from FL, so hopefully I'll see a difference because I probably wont have charger access for about 9 hours of travel time.

kirbaby

Bronze
Jul 21, 2009
South Bay, CA
I kind of have a similar problem, but it's not as intense as your guyses. Yesterday, I was syncing my iPhone with my laptop, and the battery percentage indicated 98%, then when I moves the USB plug thing from the laptop to my wall charger within seriously like two seconds within each other, my battery shows up as 100% full. Not too intense, buy it's a little weird don't you think?

hitrho5

Bronze
Jun 26, 2008
Florida
I had a similar problem once. It was back on FW 2x and the same day I updated to a new version. The FW update was supposed to improve battery life, but I was amazed because I was using the phone for 5+ hours and it still showed about 95%. Then suddenly the 20% remaining alert popped up.

Since the battery died, it should reset and be more accurate with the next charging cycle. Post back if it isn't.
I have had similar problems in the past, but after getting my 3gs, this has never happened again. Usually a hard reset will fix it. (as in, holding the power and home button until the phone restarts).