Battery is starting to die more and more quickly..

blewis1984

Bronze
Jul 1, 2008
Anyone else had this problem? It seems like my battery life drains a lot more quickly than it use to. Anything I can do?

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Best care of the Lithium polymer battery is to always keep it topped off when you can. I also recommend rebooting every couple of days, but avoid leaving it off for long periods.
There are several threads on this, but I can tell you from personal experience that if you always run the battery down, you shorten it's life. Also, some apps suck down battery power like a hoover in heat, so if you installed and are playing a new game or something else that might be processor or graphic heavy, that might be your cuprit.

blewis1984

Bronze
Jul 1, 2008
Thanks for the reply. I really don't use it heavily for extended periods of time. Up until a couple weeks ago, I would have it on the charger all night while I slept. I would wake up about 5am, go to work from 7a-7p, come home and go to bed about 9ish. By then the battery was usually only down to about half. But lately, I've been having to bring my charger to work with me because towards the last half of my shift I get the 20% warning.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Other factors can also affect battery life. I just read another thread where it seems that AT&T is moving Edge bandwidth from the 850Mhz spectrum to the weaker 1900mhz. This seems to be affecting a lot of users on the original iPhone and in some cases some of the 3G users that are in poor 3G areas.
If the signal is harder to find and maintain, the harder your phone has to work. Keep an eye on your signal strength and if you are not using them, keep BlueTooth, Location services, and WiFi OFF. They will drain the battery very quickly if left on.

BigCiX

Zealot
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Bakersfield, CA
Turn 3G off
Turn down the brightness
Turn the equalizer off when listening to the iPod
Turn Fetch off
Let tour battery down completely at least once a week

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Turn 3G off
Turn down the brightness
Turn the equalizer off when listening to the iPod
Turn Fetch off
Let tour battery down completely at least once a week
I agree with all of that except the last part. Apple recommends once a month, and nearly every site I have visited on Lithium Polymer batteries has said to keep them topped off as much as possible, and that running it down frequently can lower the full capacity of the battery.
My roommate has a V1 phone, and he runs his down to about 20% all the time, and he can barely get through a day with it.
I have a 3G and I leave 3G and Wifi on, and my battery lasts at least twice as long with about the same about of usage.
But I say this to anyone with any questions about the battery: Do your own research. Look up how to properly care for a Lithium Polymer battery and then make your own determination based off of Apple's recommendations.

gkf9

Bronze
Oct 8, 2008
I always thought it was best to run the battery right down in order to get full use of it? If you know what i mean?

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
That might be true for a regular lithium ion battery, but not a lithium polymer one.

failsafe

Bronze
Oct 17, 2008
San Diego
I always thought it was best to run the battery right down in order to get full use of it? If you know what i mean?
That was true of NiMH batteries because of cell "memory". You had to regularly discharge the battery to prevent battery shortened life. Lithium polymer don't suffer from the "memory effect" so they can regularly be topped off. However I've heard you should occasionally (once every couple of months) discharge lithium polymer batteries down to 10-20% (not full discharge) then full recharge as this helps recalibrate the battery so the % left is accurate.

flabyboy

Jun 25, 2008
Minnesota
Thanks for the reply. I really don't use it heavily for extended periods of time. Up until a couple weeks ago, I would have it on the charger all night while I slept. I would wake up about 5am, go to work from 7a-7p, come home and go to bed about 9ish. By then the battery was usually only down to about half. But lately, I've been having to bring my charger to work with me because towards the last half of my shift I get the 20% warning.
Do you have the 2.2 firmware installed? I had these same issues when I had 2.1 installed on my iPhone. It appeared to be a program hanging in the background. I wasn't even using my phone during the day yet my usage meter kept growing. At one point the usage meter and standby meter were identical. I ended up getting my phone replaced, but still believe it was a firmware issue. Check you usage meters to see if they're growing even when you are in standby

Bboy iphone

Bronze
Jun 12, 2007
NJ
Anyone else had this problem? It seems like my battery life drains a lot more quickly than it use to. Anything I can do?
Whats weird about my 3g is that I get better battery life than I had with my V1 iPhone! I use my 3g way more than I used my V1.

blewis1984

Bronze
Jul 1, 2008
Do you have the 2.2 firmware installed? I had these same issues when I had 2.1 installed on my iPhone. It appeared to be a program hanging in the background. I wasn't even using my phone during the day yet my usage meter kept growing. At one point the usage meter and standby meter were identical. I ended up getting my phone replaced, but still believe it was a firmware issue. Check you usage meters to see if they're growing even when you are in standby
Yeah, I'm running 2.2

atldvd

Bronze
Jan 8, 2008
N.E. Oklahoma
The recommendation I've heard is that you should fully discharge the battery occasionally, but not to help recondition the battery. It is to re-calibrate the battery indicator. If you NEVER let it run down fully, your battery indicator may give an inaccurate idea of how much battery life is left. BTW I would only do this once in a great while, like 2-3 times a year. Otherwise, keep it charged.

There are lots of things which can affect battery life, (double-check all your settings) but if you really think it's getting bad, Apple will replace it if it's under warranty.

Dec 26, 2008
Whats weird about my 3g is that I get better battery life than I had with my V1 iPhone! I use my 3g way more than I used my V1.
You must be in a good 3G area. I find that in my house 3G is only available in certain areas, and in other areas it's weak, so my phone is constantly going between 3G & 2G - this is what drains the battery very quickly so in this situation it's better to turn 3G off.

If I am outside the battery will last longer because the 3G is strong.