Battery issue not lasting over 9 hours

Discussion in 'iPhone 5S' started by Ag52013, Aug 23, 2014.

1. Ag52013

Ag52013 Member
    Bronze

For the past few weeks my battery has been rubbish.
    I have everything switched off like auto brightness, location services, background app refresh, push notifications.
    I even kept it on aeroplane mode all day one day and it still didn't last.
    Yesterday I did took my phone off charge at 7am and sent about 4 texts and 10 and then about 8 texts at 12.30. (And that is all, because I was at work) and my battery didn't last past 3pm.
    I am on 7.1.2
    I recently upgraded to 7.1.2 just last week but was having issues a week before. So Then I did a whole new phone setup. And I still have the same issue.

Anyone know if there is anything else I can do before I have to travel over 100 mile to the nearest apple store?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408782146.087130.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Take it to Apple if a restore to factory settings didn't help. I'm not sure how it works in the UK, but in the US, we can ship them to Apple if we don't live near an Apple Store. Two-day shipping is free for those who have AppleCare+ and $29 for those who don't. The petrol would probably cost that much, so shipping might be a better option for you. They ship you a new phone and then you ship the old one back to them in the same box.

1. Is this an iPhone 5 or 5s?
    2. If it is a 5, is it still under warranty?
    3. If it is a 5 and is no longer under warranty, you still might be able to get the battery replaced for free. Input your serial number on the link below and see if yours is one of the models that has a defective battery and is therefore eligible for a free replacement.

Free battery replacement program: https://ssl.apple.com/support/iphone5-battery/
    More information: http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/08/22/apple-activates-iphone-5-battery-replacement-program

3. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

To check to see if your battery is bad, take this test. If it passes the test, then there is something draining it. An app, email or something. Here's the test.

Write down your usage and standby time, press the sleep/wake button (or lock button, as some call it) to put the device to sleep, and set the device down for five minutes. When you come back, take note of the change in time. If your device is sleeping properly, then the Standby time should have increased by five minutes and your Usage time by <1 minute . If your Usage time rises by more than one minute, you have a drain problem. Something is keeping your device from sleeping properly, significantly shortening the time it will last.

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

That doesn't prove that it's a bad battery. It could just mean that it needs calibrating. A restore very well may fix that. It's possible that a reboot could as well. Didn't silvermoon's do that? He said it's fine now.

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I also just noticed that you only have one bar of 3G. Poor signal strength can zap a battery. Is the signal strength bad all day? If so, your battery might be fine.

6. Noah8219

Noah8219 New Member

Mine has the same issue it's been on all day not even used it and it's down from 100 charge this morning at 9 am to 20 % now . I have found the deleting internet cache and a few games have improved life abit.

7. Noah8219

Noah8219 New Member

There are some other threads on here about games will they effect battery life ?

8. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Some do and some don't. Solitaire would not use much. Bowling, Tetris and Asphalt 8 would.

9. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

I ran the same test. In my findings, the problem was that an app was staying on that was constantly draining the battery. I closed all the apps and did a restart. The battery seems to be fine.

10. Ag52013

Ag52013 Member
    Bronze

Hi, it is a 5s and still under warranted.

I tried last night to do a restore again and setup as new phone.
    I did not download any apps, the phone was 100% when I went to bed with just stock apps, and when I woke up it was 7%
    Aeroplane mode was on all night.

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I'd have Apple take a look at it.