Battery life improvement with update

IllusionEntity

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 3, 2010
Borough Green, Kent, UK
I have found the problem. I received a replacement 4S the other day and the battery life is horrible. My other 4S was just as good as my iPhone 4. It's not a firmware problem. It's a dodgy batch problem.

KentWK

Oct 13, 2011
I had no problem with my "batterylife" before 5.0.1 update, but now I do. Need to charge my phone every day now :( before update I could use my phone for 2 days, before charging...

MarieM

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
Kent -
Same here. I was fine and now I'm charging every night and often in the middle of the day.

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
This is weird. My iPhone 4 had this problem Usage and Standby being the exact same. I restored it as a new phone and the problem went away. I use the iPhone 4 as an iPod if you will, and I put 22 TV shows on it and a movie. Well, I plug it in at night to watch some of my shows before I drift off to sleep. On Saturday night I unplugged the iPhone 4 and found that where it was working correctly as far as Usage and Standby being different, it went back to acting up. I scanned through everything as I have no Apps on the phone and I found the the Bluetooth was set to on and when I clicked on it, it was continuously searching for a bluetooth device that I did not have. I never cut this on it came on by itself. Once I turned it off and did a hard reset of my iPhone 4 and then plugged it in to get it to 100% the problem went away.

It's weird. So, I took a look at my iP4S and it too was showing bluetooth on and searching. IDK what is causing the bluetooth to automatically come on, but it is a problem. So I cut it off, did a hard reset and recharged the iP4S to 100% but it didn't help the User and Standby issue with this pbone.

I tell you, there is something really screwy with the new update Apple sent out. My phones don't like it. I feel like soon I will crack the case on this, by then a new update will be out again. I can only hope.

KentWK

Oct 13, 2011
I'm glad, that I'm not the only one with that problem. I just don't get all the user's with improved "batterylife".... Hope it'll be fixed in the next update...

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
Um Welcome Back Naps! Nice to See U. Thanks for answering the question while I was commutting home. U must be watching me again! Dag on it!

Glad to see you amongst the living! We -(EIC) I missed you! hope you get a lot of posting in on the boards.

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
Sharunda. How do I make a hard reset?
Glad Naps got the answer to you. I commute at the time you asked the question so I didn't get to see it until now. I hope you can work your problem out too. It's frustrating, but I'm dealing with it and learning a lot on the way.

Soon, I'll be able to build one of these bad boys myself!

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
Guess it was worth staying up all morning on Pre order iDay. Still no battery issues and haven't updated to 5.0.1 yet either.
-awaiting hate mail -

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Guess it was worth staying up all morning on Pre order iDay. Still no battery issues and haven't updated to 5.0.1 yet either.
-awaiting hate mail -
The iDay phones aren't immune. I stayed up all night to score one and it suffered from rapid battery drain on 5.0. 5.0.1 fixed it, though. The battery drain problem seems to be random.

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
The iDay phones aren't immune. I stayed up all night to score one and it suffered from rapid battery drain on 5.0. 5.0.1 fixed it, though. The battery drain problem seems to be random.
Oh I know, twas just being a smartass. Lol

KentWK

Oct 13, 2011
I did the hard reset, but still no improvement :(
Anyone got an idea, to what I should try next? Cause it really sucks, when I used to have a "normal battery-life"

rom x

Zealot
Gold
Jan 18, 2011
seems this battery issues is all over the map. some have good batt life while others have bad batt life. kinda makes me wonder just a little bit if maybe it's not an OS problem but maybe there are/were a bad batch of batteries at the assy plant? the down side is you can't replace the battery to really see if it is that. well lets just hope they fix it fast whatever is causing the problem.

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
I did the hard reset, but still no improvement :(
Anyone got an idea, to what I should try next? Cause it really sucks, when I used to have a "normal battery-life"
It really sucks is an understatement. I think I'm on to something and then there is more to do. I just want a phone without the battery headaches. Apple is working on it, but the wait is making it bad.

I hope the fix is on its way. In the meantime, I know the only way to make this better to an almost complete fix is to take ALL my Apps off and put them back one at a time, or a few at a time to see which one is contributing to this problem. That will take me a looooong time. I have over 350 Apps on my phone right now. I can purge some off, but I use a lot of them on a daily basis so it's going to be hard. The complete restore as a new phone and then putting Appls back one at a time, not from the backup seems to have helped a lot of people. IDK if it'll work for me this time. I've restored my phone to new three times already and each time thinking it would work this time, but it never did.

Just be patient and hang in there. Apple to the rescue! - Hopefully before the end of the year.

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
^^^^ 350 apps? Dang! With that many, trying to install one at a time to figure out which one is the battery hog is probably the biggest battery drain :D