Battery life is crap all of a sudden!

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
Hey everyone. The title says it all. I used to only have to charge it every other day and now in the past week the battery is running out before the end of one day. Im usually really good about turning off my blutooth and turning off the wifi if Im not using it. Im not using it more than usual either. Anyone else run into this?

H

Hayesimus

i did. and then suddenly bam it was back to normal. I would go to work at 7pm and my battery would be completely dead by like 3am. Normally I would be able to talk and surf the net and still have like 30 % or more by the time i got home at 730 am. but then it somehow got worse. well, suddenly one day it got better again. Now it'll be like 1:30 in the am and it still has like 80% left. Not sure if i did anything to make it hold a charge longer... just kinda happened...

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Try allowing the battery to die completely and then completely recharge it as well as turning the phone off for a little while. I don't know if that will actually fix anything but it should reset the usage statistics completely and might have sort of effect.

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
Try allowing the battery to die completely and then completely recharge it as well as turning the phone off for a little while. I don't know if that will actually fix anything but it should reset the usage statistics completely and might have sort of effect.
Thanks for the suggestion Young. Ill give that a try. This is very odd IMO to happen out of the blue.
If nothing fixes it would Apple allow me to return for a new one? I am still within my warranty.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
If you're still under warranty then I would definitely pay a visit to your nearest Apple store. Tell them the issues you're having with the battery and they very well might replace it on the spot. If you're Jailbroken or Unlocked you may want to restore first.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
what apps have you installed in the last week?

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
what apps have you installed in the last week?
I just installed OrbLive today but this has been going on for a few days now. I had vWallpaper installed but didn't care for the quality of the video so I uninstalled it. I installed Trism maybe a week ago or so. Other than that Ive been running the same configuration for the last couple of months.

I don't think I have any apps that would run in the backround. I have mobilescrobbler but I never run that, I also have taskbar notifier but that never caused an issue before.

H

Hayesimus

i've heard bad things about the taskbar notifier...

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
To me, it sounds like an application,like mail or the installer-refresh is trying unsuccessfuly to access the internet. I've noticed before that my mail app can sometimes take forever to check for mail, let alone download. If you have a large number of sources to be refreshed, that too may eat a lot of battery.

As an idea, try keeping the device on airplane mode as much as you can to see if you get an improvement in battery life.

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
i've heard bad things about the taskbar notifier...
Really? Ive never had an issue but I was thinking about uninstalling it anyway, just to be safe.

I called Apple store and they said to bring it in and let a Mac genius take a look at it. I would hate to restore it just for them to look at it. But if this keeps up I guess I will have to.

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
Another warning sign is whether the iPhone gets hot while in standby mode.

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
Another warning sign is whether the iPhone gets hot while in standby mode.
That never seems to be an issue.

I do have a lot of sources in Installer. Im gonna delete those too and see what happens.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Do you have SSH on?

I've had no issues with taskbar notifier

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
I've noticed that iPod mode sometimes comes on by itself. If you don't have the volume too high, possible you may not catch it.

H

Hayesimus

yes see. my iPhone sits in its dock til i go to work and for some reason it would either be warm already or get extremely warm for a while in my pocket. but like i said, it just eventually went back to normal. this was for about a week or two. I'd give it some more time just to make sure. I too didn't want to restore and luckily i didn't have to.

Laura123

Jul 17, 2007
Really? Ive never had an issue but I was thinking about uninstalling it anyway, just to be safe.

I called Apple store and they said to bring it in and let a Mac genius take a look at it. I would hate to restore it just for them to look at it. But if this keeps up I guess I will have to.
and make sure you have the latest update. I think it is way to early to assume there is a battery issue and have to get a new one from Apple or ipodjuice.com or some other third party company. I'd wait a week or so before starting to worry too much about it. My 2 cents!

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
and make sure you have the latest update. I think it is way to early to assume there is a battery issue and have to get a new one from Apple or ipodjuice.com or some other third party company. I'd wait a week or so before starting to worry too much about it. My 2 cents!
I agree, I think that will be my last resort. Ill give it a couple of weeks. I only called Apple to see if they would be receptive to it, and they were. At least now I know what Ill need to do if I do have to return it.
The bright side though, arent 8gb discontinued? I wonder if they would replace my 8 with a 16?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I wonder if they would replace my 8 with a 16?
Hah, I wouldn't count on that. Just because it might be getting harder to get them new doesn't mean they don't have a pile of refurbs in the back room.