Battery life now worse than ever

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by jfleming01, Apr 23, 2013.

1. jfleming01

jfleming01 Member
    Bronze

I've read through some of the older threads but still at a loss. Standby and usage virtually the same. ip5 will go from 100% to 0 in a few hours and is always warm. Location arrow not showing, and I turned off most of my notifications. This got a lot worse in the last few days, any thing else I can try?

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Try these steps in order. Move on to the next one if the problem isn't solved.

1. Do a hard reset. Press the home and power buttons simultaneously, ignore the slide to power off and let go of both when you see the Apple logo.

2. Reset all settings.

3. Restore.

3. jfleming01

jfleming01 Member
    Bronze

3. Restore

from back up? as new?

thanks Europa

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Try backup first. If that doesn't work, go to factory settings.

5. jfleming01

jfleming01 Member
    Bronze

thanks Europa. 1 & 2 did not work, usage and standby are both at 1:20 and I'm down to 88%. On to the restore from back up. Business trip tomorrow so I'll probably wait to go for the full blown restore- I'll just be on the lookout for outlets all day.

and to think I was just bragging about the ip5 battery life a few months ago. guess I jinxed it.

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yeah, give that a try later. If it stays hot and rapidly drains in standby after a restore, Apple will replace it for you.

7. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

Sounds like a setting is draining your battery. Did you check Settings > Privacy > Location Services > System Services to see if there is anything on that shouldn't be?

There's also a free app called Battery Doctor that determines which apps use the most power. This app can also free system resources to free up unused memory. You may want to check it out...

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/battery-doctor-battery-saver/id446751279?mt=8

8. AdamDaieh

AdamDaieh Member
    Bronze

Is this also available for jailbroken devices?

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It's in the App Store, so it will work on non-jailbroken and jailbroken iPhones.

10. AdamDaieh

AdamDaieh Member
    Bronze

Thank you! I will check on it. :)

11. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

I downloaded it and used the accelerate feature, which I assume is the free up memory portion. Although, I already have that from Cydia.

12. jfleming01

jfleming01 Member
    Bronze

Thank you for the advice everyone. Battery Doctor does seem to help somewhat, although usage and standby are still in lockstep- even when the phone is just sitting on my nightstand. Went by the Apple store and they ran a diagnostic on the battery and said it was fine. Whole lotta data accessing going on- so one or more apps must be causing it. I've got an apt with a genius tomorrow- might just have to get a new phone.

13. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Try Settings > General > Cellular and make sure Cellular Data is set to ON. I seem to remember something similar on my phone a long time ago and I did that and it allowed my "Usage" and "Standby" times to separate. Something was trying to "go through" cellular data and because I had it set to OFF, it was unable to go through, and it kept trying over and over.

This was quite some time ago (I think before iOS 6.0), and this may not help you, but it's worth a shot.

14. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

What I also like about Battery Doctor was the ability to see which apps use the most power. Have you looked into that? Screen brightness?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21367037996.544720.jpg

15. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I don't have Battery Doctor, but thanks for sharing the screenshot. It's interesting (and helpful) to know that the Facebook app is a battery hog.

16. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

Kind of brings back memories of old task managers. ;)

Sent for my Nexus 4

17. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Sent for your Nexus 4?

18. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

If usage and standby are the same, there must be a rouge app/apps that you've installed that's causing it. My suggestion is think of apps that you have installed recently (or around the time this problem started) and continue to test until it fixes the problem. Or turn off location services for each app individually to find the culprit...

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2011/12/02/how-to-fix-bad-iphone-4s-battery-life-in-5-minutes/

http://forums.everythingicafe.com/threads/usage-standby-meter-reading-the-exact-same-time.40124/

19. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 4

20. jfleming01

jfleming01 Member
    Bronze

Restore as new phone solved the problem. Genius Bar said something with the firmware was causing constant data searching. Thanks for everyones help.