Battery life now worse than ever

jfleming01

Bronze
Apr 29, 2009
I've read through some of the older threads but still at a loss. Standby and usage virtually the same. ip5 will go from 100% to 0 in a few hours and is always warm. Location arrow not showing, and I turned off most of my notifications. This got a lot worse in the last few days, any thing else I can try?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Try these steps in order. Move on to the next one if the problem isn't solved.

1. Do a hard reset. Press the home and power buttons simultaneously, ignore the slide to power off and let go of both when you see the Apple logo.

2. Reset all settings.

3. Restore.

jfleming01

Bronze
Apr 29, 2009
thanks Europa. 1 & 2 did not work, usage and standby are both at 1:20 and I'm down to 88%. On to the restore from back up. Business trip tomorrow so I'll probably wait to go for the full blown restore- I'll just be on the lookout for outlets all day.

and to think I was just bragging about the ip5 battery life a few months ago. guess I jinxed it.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Yeah, give that a try later. If it stays hot and rapidly drains in standby after a restore, Apple will replace it for you.

jmp316

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 10, 2008
Sounds like a setting is draining your battery. Did you check Settings > Privacy > Location Services > System Services to see if there is anything on that shouldn't be?

There's also a free app called Battery Doctor that determines which apps use the most power. This app can also free system resources to free up unused memory. You may want to check it out...

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/battery-doctor-battery-saver/id446751279?mt=8

AdamDaieh

Bronze
Jan 17, 2013
California
Sounds like a setting is draining your battery. Did you check Settings > Privacy > Location Services > System Services to see if there is anything on that shouldn't be?

There's also a free app called Battery Doctor that determines which apps use the most power. This app can also free system resources to free up unused memory. You may want to check it out...

Is this also available for jailbroken devices?

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey

I downloaded it and used the accelerate feature, which I assume is the free up memory portion. Although, I already have that from Cydia.

jfleming01

Bronze
Apr 29, 2009
Thank you for the advice everyone. Battery Doctor does seem to help somewhat, although usage and standby are still in lockstep- even when the phone is just sitting on my nightstand. Went by the Apple store and they ran a diagnostic on the battery and said it was fine. Whole lotta data accessing going on- so one or more apps must be causing it. I've got an apt with a genius tomorrow- might just have to get a new phone.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Thank you for the advice everyone. Battery Doctor does seem to help somewhat, although usage and standby are still in lockstep- even when the phone is just sitting on my nightstand. Went by the Apple store and they ran a diagnostic on the battery and said it was fine. Whole lotta data accessing going on- so one or more apps must be causing it. I've got an apt with a genius tomorrow- might just have to get a new phone.
Try Settings > General > Cellular and make sure Cellular Data is set to ON. I seem to remember something similar on my phone a long time ago and I did that and it allowed my "Usage" and "Standby" times to separate. Something was trying to "go through" cellular data and because I had it set to OFF, it was unable to go through, and it kept trying over and over.

This was quite some time ago (I think before iOS 6.0), and this may not help you, but it's worth a shot.

jmp316

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 10, 2008
What I also like about Battery Doctor was the ability to see which apps use the most power. Have you looked into that? Screen brightness?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21367037996.544720.jpg

jmp316

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 10, 2008
If usage and standby are the same, there must be a rouge app/apps that you've installed that's causing it. My suggestion is think of apps that you have installed recently (or around the time this problem started) and continue to test until it fixes the problem. Or turn off location services for each app individually to find the culprit...

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2011/12/02/how-to-fix-bad-iphone-4s-battery-life-in-5-minutes/

http://forums.everythingicafe.com/threads/usage-standby-meter-reading-the-exact-same-time.40124/

jfleming01

Bronze
Apr 29, 2009
Restore as new phone solved the problem. Genius Bar said something with the firmware was causing constant data searching. Thanks for everyones help.