Battery life on 3GS after jailbreak?

cliffeman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Feenix, Amizona
For everyone who's jailbroken their 3GS. What has your battery life been like so far? For me, it's been about the same even before the jailbreak. Right now I'm running SBsettings, intelliscreen, Cydelete, OpenSSH, Elert and Tlert.

As far as lag. I have not noticed any lag opening apps or using the keyboard. My memory has yet to go below 140MB even when i open up and run Cydia or Icy.

seanwes

Zealot
Gold
Feb 13, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Same here. Everything opens up very quickly, like right out of the box. Battery life seems to be fairing identical to stock.

I say "seems" because it's only been a day. I'll report back with any changes. Winterboard was said to be the culprit of lag on previous firmware jailbreaks, so we'll have to see if it changes the game with the 3GS.

Personally, I think it's going to be super tough to slow this beast down. I'm lovin' this processor.

cliffeman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Feenix, Amizona
Same here. Everything opens up very quickly, like right out of the box. Battery life seems to be fairing identical to stock.

I say "seems" because it's only been a day. I'll report back with any changes. Winterboard was said to be the culprit of lag on previous firmware jailbreaks, so we'll have to see if it changes the game with the 3GS.

Personally, I think it's going to be super tough to slow this beast down. I'm lovin' this processor.
You're right about it being only a day (hours really). I agree, i'm looking forward to seeing how the 3GS will perform with Winterboard fully functional.

I have had no push problems yet. I noticed yahoo was still pushing. Beejive and the app store updates are still working.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
So I assume WinterBoard isn't out yet? If that's the case, I'm afraid it'll bring on the lag, unless it's been rewritten from the ground up for 3.0 or 3.0 & the 3GS are able to prevent the lag altogether. I always noticed lag upon WinterBoard's installation, and it seemed as if more and more of it seeped in over time. I guess we'll see.

cliffeman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Feenix, Amizona
The kernel vm_mem patch was not included in Purplera1n. So there's no Winterboard (yet). Or SMS apps like QuickSMS, or MySMS.

Get_Zwole

Bronze
Jun 20, 2009
Oklahoma City
i don't think it will lag much. backgrounding pandora and searching the web or in cydia and my memory doesn't get below 130 to 125 pretty good if you ask me.

My battery kinda hard to tell right now but has been awesome since i bought it. Right now im at 98% with 17 minutes of use and 2 hours and 35 minutes of standby. Ill report back as it drains.

cliffeman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Feenix, Amizona
Now that Winterboard has been updated and installed on my phone. I haven't noticed a drastic change in battery life yet. Although, I did notice an jump in memory once i updated intelliscreen, tlert, elert, and intellidial in Rock. After my phone did a hard repspring. My memory went from idling in the 170's to the 180's!

Even with Winterboard running my theme and little mods. it bounces between 183-187.

radack1155

Bronze
Jul 11, 2008
Austin, TX
Yeah mines been great so far. Basically no change in battery/ memory with Winterboard or the jailbreak. Nothing can slow this puppy down!

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Mine's been awesome because it's so easy to use 3G/location services only as needed. Adjusting brightness manually/easily on the fly also helps. Getting used to using SBsettings this way can gain you hours on your life throughout the day.

cdc515

Bronze
Jun 10, 2009
i charged my iPhone to 100%, i then took it off the charger at 1:33 and did not even do one thing to it just simply took it off the charger it is now 1:56 and my battery is at 95% any ideas how i can fix this? my battery is dropping really fast after JB and installation of Cydia apps.

EDIT: it is 2:01 now an my battery is at 94%

Edit: it is 2:09 now an the battery is at 92%

This cant be normal can it ?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
i charged my iPhone to 100%, i then took it off the charger at 1:33 and did not even do one thing to it just simply took it off the charger it is now 1:56 and my battery is at 95% any ideas how i can fix this? my battery is dropping really fast after JB and installation of Cydia apps.

EDIT: it is 2:01 now an my battery is at 94%

This cant be normal can it ?
It can be if you're in an area with poor reception. I also restart my iPhone at least once a day to clear any errant processes and that seems to help prevent non-usage draining like this.

cdc515

Bronze
Jun 10, 2009
It can be if you're in an area with poor reception. I also restart my iPhone at least once a day to clear any errant processes and that seems to help prevent non-usage draining like this.

I have checked i have no peocesses running and i have full service, i think it may be the wifi thats it not turning off when my phone locks

its 2:28 and i have 90% battery haha this is like funny to me

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Did you reboot? Try that and see if the drain continues.

cdc515

Bronze
Jun 10, 2009
Did you reboot? Try that and see if the drain continues.

2:33 and my battery is at 89& haha i just turned off wifi and 3g lets see if it stops dropping every second

im going to reboot now

EDIT: Just rebooted and waited 10 minutes to report it is now 2:43 and my battery is at 88%

2:53 = 87%

3:33 = 84%

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
I JB'd yesterday and used my phone heavily throughout the day and didn't notice anything strange with battery life until this morning. I plug my phone in every night. Upon waking up my phone was at 75% battery life... it was on the charger for close to 6 hours, so thats not right. I plugged it into my car charger and drove to the health club this morning and it hit 100% on my 30 minute commute. I listened to tunes while I lifted and its down to 86%. Normally it only drops 5% or so for my hour work out.
Im going to reboot now to see if that helps.

Does anyone know, should the battery be re-calibrated after a JB? I wouldn't think so but who knows.

cdc515

Bronze
Jun 10, 2009
ok it has been about 12 hours since last post and my battery is at 42% it deffinitly slowed down a little after turning off wifi bluetooth ssh and 3g haha i feel like i should just shut the phone off

PBear

Jun 13, 2009
@cdc515 - I JB'd my 3GS w/ purplera1n and installed winterboard and categories. I had the same problem with the battery draining faster than usual. I lost 10% in an hour and all I did was make a 2 minutes phone call.

Today I restored and then JB'd with w/ redsn0w. I have categories, intelliscreen and myprofiles installed and my battery life seems to be back to normal.

cliffeman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Feenix, Amizona
Seems like results vary for both j/b tools. Mine is still zipping along. Battery life is still about the same as before the jailbreak.

On the other hand...the other phone I j/b with redsn0w, has been running pretty steady. I noticed memory was in the 130's with mo apps open. In the 110's with Cydia running. Thought that was kind of odd seeing mines fluxuated between the 130's to 160's. Battery life is good. No serious drainage issues with Winterboard.

LKB3rd

Jun 21, 2009
CT
I have very poor on/off reception at home, and my battery drains even when not being used at home. I have been charging it, and turning it off before I go to sleep at night, and as soon as I get down the road with reception the battery holds up just fine the next day.

cdc515

Bronze
Jun 10, 2009
@cdc515 - I JB'd my 3GS w/ purplera1n and installed winterboard and categories. I had the same problem with the battery draining faster than usual. I lost 10% in an hour and all I did was make a 2 minutes phone call.

Today I restored and then JB'd with w/ redsn0w. I have categories, intelliscreen and myprofiles installed and my battery life seems to be back to normal.

Thank you i just restored and re-jailbroke my iPhone i will let you know if my battery status has chanfed or not but i do think that solved my problem.

Neermind the problem continues 10 minutes just going through my mail and my battery dropped from 100% to 95%