Battery Life On First Gen iPhone

ItalianBoston

Bronze
Aug 9, 2007
So after using my phone all day this is what I got:

4hrs 30 mins usage
10hrs 34 mins standby

I have less than 10% remaining on the battery, what does everyone think, is this good battery life?

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
I would have to say it's all relative to how you're using it. If it's just a phone, then the answer is obviously No. However, if you were browsing the net, playing games, listening to music, SMSing, AND taking calls during all that, then Yes, the battery life is good for what it's doing in that time.

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
Was your usage internet? Or Ipod?
I used my Ipod today for about 3 hours, made about 6 or 7 short calls, and still have a full battery with just one pixel row missing on my indicator.

Are you in standby in a poor reception area? I think the phone has to use more battery in this situation to keep in contact with cell towers when you are in a weak area, if I'm not mistaken.

ItalianBoston

Bronze
Aug 9, 2007
I was heavily using the web, sending email, texting, taking phone calls, using the iPod, and watching movies on youtube.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
I was heavily using the web, sending email, texting, taking phone calls, using the iPod, and watching movies on youtube.
Trust me, that's pretty good time on a standard battery. I'm lucky to get 2 hours of wifi anything on my laptop, umpc or pocketPC.

The only real "power-saving" feature that I've ever read about is turning Wifi off. I need to see how much it actually saves though, because I'm using my iPhone quite a bit for everything and still making it home after a full day's work with over half a battery charge left. I'm doing all that with Wifi on, even though I'm using EDGE, all the hotspots in the building are locked :T

ItalianBoston

Bronze
Aug 9, 2007
I am pretty happy with it. I am used to having to bring a charger with me and charging my old phone up before my day was over. With the iPhone I have charge left when I get home.

Aug 15, 2007
So after using my phone all day this is what I got:

4hrs 30 mins usage
10hrs 34 mins standby

I have less than 10% remaining on the battery, what does everyone think, is this good battery life?
I just had my iPhone replaced yesterday for battery issues and turning off the Wifi was of no help. I noticed half of my battery was gone after around 16 hours or so on standby with NO usage. I had both Wifi and bluetooth turned off and my screen brightness turned down to about 40% or so (would have gone lower but the 7 series LCD looks unreadable at 15-20%). I also did a full restore through iTunes and even had my email disabled just to make sure it was a battery issue and not something else. Turning off the Wifi does help, but not a whole lot, at least in my case. I was pleasantly surprised that the rep at the Apple store replaced my phone instead of having to send it in for repairs considering i was past the "14 days". Kudos to them, but now I'm having the exact same issues with the new phone i received less than 24 hours ago! I'd try replacing it if you're not happy with the battery life or at least talk to an Apple rep and see if they can offer any suggestions.

brinky

Bronze
Jul 24, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
Are you in standby in a poor reception area? I think the phone has to use more battery in this situation to keep in contact with cell towers when you are in a weak area, if I'm not mistaken.
You are are 100% correct. There are so many things that effect battery life that it is impossible to compare different iPhones. Unless you have 2 iPhones that are in the exact same location doing the exact same thing the entire time. Then you will have a true comparison of your battery life.

brianlamar

Bronze
Aug 6, 2007
Last edited by a moderator:

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
My battery life seems to have shortened over the past week.
Maybe it's just me, but does this seem right to you?
Usage 5hours 32 minutes
Standby 1 day, 21 hours
Call time
Current period 52 Minutes
Lifetime 13 hours, 52 minutes
sent 1.1MB
received 16.3MB

My battery was down to just above the 20% mark. This is what I would call "light usage" When I first got the iPhone, I used it constantly and it didn't seem to run down as quick.
Brightness is at 20%, WiFi stay off 90% of the time, and BT is always off since I cannot find my headset.

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
If you're using it heavily for 4-5 hours then letting it stand by for 10+ hours, that's pretty good. I get about 4 hours of video and 8 hours of stand by and still have about 40% or a little less battery left. Sometimes it's more like 30%. Still, that's more than enough for me. I can get through a day with very heavy usage with battery power to spare. That's more than any other PDA phone I've owned.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I wish I could say its heavy use but its not. Maybe 20 minutes per day of phone usage, and you can see how much Internet. (15 -20) minutes 4-5 times a day at most.
Do you consider that heavy usage, because I really thought I got a lot more before this week.

Aug 3, 2007
My battery life seems to have shortened over the past week.
Maybe it's just me, but does this seem right to you?
Usage 5hours 32 minutes
Standby 1 day, 21 hours
Call time
sent 1.1MB
received 16.3MB

My battery was down to just above the 20% mark. This is what I would call "light usage" When I first got the iPhone, I used it constantly and it didn't seem to run down as quick.
Brightness is at 20%, WiFi stay off 90% of the time, and BT is always off since I cannot find my headset.
Usage: 5hrs 20mins
Standby: 1day 11hrs

35% battery left

Usage was a mix of wifi/edge browsing for about an hour and something minutes, edge youtube videos (about 5-6 diff videos), about 30-40 calls, 3 txts msgs, and an hour and a half or so of ipod.

So I think you're okay. Remember that the lower amount of bars you get the crappier your battery life will be.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Usage: 5hrs 20mins
Standby: 1day 11hrs

35% battery left

Usage was a mix of wifi/edge browsing for about an hour and something minutes, edge youtube videos (about 5-6 diff videos), about 30-40 calls, 3 txts msgs, and an hour and a half or so of ipod.

So I think you're okay. Remember that the lower amount of bars you get the crappier your battery life will be.
Your usage time is shorter than mine and so is your standby - but not by much. But your actual usage, the videos, 30-40 calls and 1.5 hours of MP3's is almost DOUBLE how I use the phone, and you have more juice left over at 35%.
Mine was down to 20%

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Here is my usage over the past couple times I had to charge it.
I forgot to record the charge between the first one and the one on the 24th because in between I mod'd my phone, so usage was not "true".

08/17/07
Usage 5hours 32 minutes
Standby 1 day, 21 hours
Call time:
sent 1.1
received 16.3
08/24/07
usage 4 hours, 28 minutes
standby 23 hours 18 minutes
call time:
current period 28 minutes
lifetime 15 hours 4 minutes
sent 7.8mb
received 46.3mb
08/27/07
usage 4 hours, 5 minutes
standby 1 day 5 hours
call time:
current period 20 minutes
lifetime 15 hours 35 minutes
sent 3.2mb
received 13.4mb

Personally, I feel that this is falling short by at least a couple hours of usage. My battery looks full for along time and it doesn't matter the amount of usage, but as soon as it starts to show it's going down, it goes down kinda quick. Like from 90% on, I get about 6 more hours of light usage, and then I have to connect it.

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
My phone has incredible life... far more than any smart phone I've owned previously. I can easily get two days of battery life with moderate usage. This includes about 3 hours of video a day, 2 hours of iPod listening and various phone calls.

My Q wouldn't last 4 hours if I surfed the web, made calls and watched a video or two.

Survivor61

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
My Usage and Standby are still "-" (dashed). I am running the latest software also, and have drained the battery several times and fully charged it several times, so should I let Apple know and maybe see if they will exchange it?

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Just got off the phone with Support about the battery usage I am getting. they offered me to take it to a store (which wouldn't be till the weekend) to test, or to send it in.
I'm sending it in. And it sounded like, from the tone in her voice, that the statistics that I gave her on battery life versus usage (posted above) was a bit low.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
So on the way home today with a little more that half battery, I get a call from the wife and it was maybe a 2 minute call. Then I put it back in the holder I installed (no charging unit yet), and opened Safari and tried to open a webpage. It failed, then 10 seconds later I get the 10% or less battery notification. You know the one. There is a sliver of red and the rest is "empty". and then the phone went black.
I waited a couple minutes and then hit the home button a couple times and it suddenly came up- with half battery showing again.
SOOOOooooooo glad it's getting sent in.
The box was waiting for me when I got home, and it goes to a FedX drop point tomorrow. Had to peel the invisible shield off and backed up my data and did a restore before boxing it up.
So, by Tuesday, I should have my phone back and hopefully it will be either good as new, or just plain NEW. Either way, I don't care, so long as it's working properly.

yuuphone

Bronze
Sep 26, 2007
How long are all you guys' battery life? Mine last around 2 full days only even though I only listen to music and made a couple of calls. Is that around the norm or is something running as it is sleeping?