Battery Life On First Gen iPhone

I get about two days usage. I had my iPhone fully charged before work TUesday. While there, I checked email several times, surfed some and even replied on a message board. Then just before closing, I enjoyed about an hour of music with the screen off. When I got home, I listened to music about another 90 minutes with the screen off. As of now, I have almost 4 hours usage and the battery is probably just over 3/4 full. I have turned off the iPhone (not on standby) and it will stay that way till around 2PM or so before I go to work.

Turning it off during the night makes it last allot longer and I don't have anyone who would be calling anyways during that time. I don't use the alarms to wake up with, if I need to wake up early, I set the alarm on my old no longer activated Treo that I keep charged just to play Solitaire on.

tfg

Jun 20, 2007
If I don't use any features and have minimal talk time, the phone will stay on standby for well over three days.

Normally I get anywhere from 6 to 8 hours of usage time. That's talking, using internet and ipod. I usually only charge every third day. If I'm using it heavy, then I need to charge every other day.

pciphone

Dec 11, 2007
I am not to impressed with battery life.

I did a full charge and got only got 5 hours of use. Anyone have some tips on what settings to change to get battery to last longer?

ally fu

Dec 4, 2007
I am not to impressed with battery life.

I did a full charge and got only got 5 hours of use. Anyone have some tips on what settings to change to get battery to last longer?
I've been disappointed in the battery life too. I watched the Simpsons movie on full charge, and never got to see the end of it. :(

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
Considering how much more I use the iPhone compared with my old SE 901, I think the iPhone is very good. Watching one movie should be more than possible though I should think.
I do always turn off wifi and by(not that the bluetooth is worth having) and my screen is always dimmed because I live in a cave

pciphone

Dec 11, 2007
Does searching for wifi take a lot of battery?
I thought it was the opposite that if you used the internet a lot that you should keep the wifi enabled so it used that rather than the edge because the edge sucked up battery life.

Boosted_Brian

Bronze
Oct 30, 2007
Three days one charge, 8 hours of use. Some internet browsing, about an hour of ipod, hundreds of text messages, 100 minutes a day on the phone.

Turn everything off. ie: Wifi, bluetooth, and ssh. I only leave edge on. I use the auto dimming feature. My brightness is set to a little less than half. Wifi and SSH are HUGH battery killers.

I also play about three games of solitare a day, if anyone cared. lol

Boosted_Brian

Bronze
Oct 30, 2007
I enable wifi only when I am going on the internet. Other wise it is always turned off.

Also, my phone locks after one minute. Keeping the screen lit longer than necessary is a big drain on the battery also. I typically lock the phone as soon as I am done using it, primary so I will hear the new text message tone.

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
the edge or gprs drain depends a lot on your signal strength. Mobiles whisper at first then shout if necessary. I don't think wifi has the same degree of power-savvyness.
Ive read a few posts saying ssh drains power. I can't see why it should, it hardly tickles the processor. I think its more likely to be having the screen on for long periods which happens during the ssh session.

Dawgfan

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Three days one charge, 8 hours of use. Some internet browsing, about an hour of ipod, hundreds of text messages, 100 minutes a day on the phone.

Turn everything off. ie: Wifi, bluetooth, and ssh. I only leave edge on. I use the auto dimming feature. My brightness is set to a little less than half. Wifi and SSH are HUGH battery killers.

I also play about three games of solitare a day, if anyone cared. lol
This blows away anything I have seen. Wow.
I can get two days but when I wander into the 6 hour range I am on borrowed time..
I also turn off wireless, BT and crank dim at about 40%.

Honestly, while the battery life may not be making some folks happy, it is actually better than any smartphone out there.. The closest is the BB 88xx series and the iPhone even beats it..

Also, if your iPhone is new it will take several charing cycles before you experience your best battery life.

KTran

Bronze
Sep 12, 2007
TX
Less than twelve hours of charge and I achieve 5.5 hours average before hitting red 20% low mark.

4 Hours of talk time
Bluetooth on
WiFi on
Screen auto lock on
Ipod/YouTube play/view

no jailbreak

pciphone

Dec 11, 2007
You say no jailbreak with jailbreak is battery worse?

Less than twelve hours of charge and I achieve 5.5 hours average before hitting red 20% low mark.

4 Hours of talk time
Bluetooth on
WiFi on
Screen auto lock on
Ipod/YouTube play/view

no jailbreak

Boosted_Brian

Bronze
Oct 30, 2007
I used to have the same horrible experiences and many ppl here when I first received the phone. I credit that to the fact that, it was a new toy. I can get three days during the week, but come weekend when I am "antsy" I get about two days.

coal0101

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
happy here

I get 6-8 hrs of use, 2+ days standby with BT on all the time (works great with Infinity G35), wifi on when I need it...I am happy with those times...much better than my Treo

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
You say no jailbreak with jailbreak is battery worse?
No - jailbreaking itself won't have any noticeable effect on battery life.

The jailbreakers though are fiddlers and players who can't put the phone down, and turn it on every 2 minutes to check for new applications or to change themes. This is what uses the battery up - using the phone.

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
hmmm... These people disapponted with their battery performance : I'm scared to see
how they feel about the (assumed much poorer) battery life of the new 3g version.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Those people that are getting less than 5 hours of normal use from the phone over a 1-2 day period should do a restore and test and see if it gets any better. If not, then make the appointment and take it in to Apple for an exchange.
I am currently on my 4th iPhone due to poor battery life. My 3rd phone was doing 8+ hours of use on average - until I updated to 1.1.2. Then it slipped to about 4.5 hours of LIGHT usage. It was not hacked or unlocked.

That being said, some of the programs that you can get for a jailbroken phone are battery hogs. iPhysics is one of the worst, but it's such a cool app. Played with it for about an hour yesterday and used almost half my battery. If I don't use it, I'm sitting at approx 6 hours of battery life with medium usage.

One last thing, just because the battery icon seems to go down quickly doesn't always mean that your battery is actually bad. To really know how long it lasts, you need to run it until it's giving either the 20% or 10% warning to know how long it lasts, using it until it looks like 30-40% and then charging it again, stating you only got 4-5 hours out of it doesn't acurrately show full battery life. The indicator is nothing more than a series of images that show up at approximate voltage points, and is not very consistant or accurate.

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
I wouldn't be surprised if some of the third party apps were using people's edge connections to send spam - that'd munch through your battery.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Easy way to tell is to clear your usage, turn off auto email checking and things of that nature, close all webpages so that a blank page is your only webpage, and then launch the suspected program and see if the data over edge shows anything. If it does, then you have your answer.