Battery Life On First Gen iPhone

pciphone

Dec 11, 2007
Is there a difference of charging from the usb or from the wall? How long should i leave it connected for a good charge?

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Leave it plugged in till it says full. Anything longer than that means nothing.

spud

Bronze
Nov 5, 2007
i posted this elsewhere but I will again.

I have a "virgin" phone. Not hacked, just the iTunes update..etc. I say i use the phone moderately. WiFi off unless i need to use it. check mail set to every 15 min. ocassional phone call, check stocks, weather..maps etc. Doing that I can get about 2 days of use.

However when i first got the phone doing this, the battery life would go down hill pretty quick. I noticed that when it would do that, i would put the phone on the charging doc and then turn off the phone. wake up the next day to turn it on, and voila, the phone would last the "normal" 2 days. then I would just put it on the charger each night before going to bed. After a few days the battery would be poor. Again put on the charger, turn off the phone over night and then back to normal. Ive had to do that for about 5 cycles. Now, i just charge it over night every night w/out turning it off....

again , i am not a heavy user by any means. Seems doing a couple over night charges with the phone off solved the problem for me.

KTran

Bronze
Sep 12, 2007
TX
I get 6-8 hrs of use, 2+ days standby with BT on all the time (works great with Infinity G35), wifi on when I need it...I am happy with those times...much better than my Treo

what functions are utilized on your phone?
seems as though you use it only just to make calls...
if not... i need to set an appointment !

mernst

Silver
Jul 11, 2007
Gulfport, Ms
just dim your screen alittle can safe a lot of juice.... and also the if you turn wifi off... or turn to airplane mode...

RLK

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Indialantic, FL
I performed a full charge on my 3g phone yesterday, and within 21 hours I have 25% battery life remaining, 10 hours of usage and 23 hours of standby. During that period, I had no phone usage, no applications being run, and only checked my email a couple of times.

My settings include 3g is on, location services is on, fetch new email every 30 minutes, Wi-fi & Bluetooth are both off.

The most usage I have used in that period is 1 hour, not 10. Any ideas what is happening? I have to charge the phone every day with very minimal use.:(

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
turn off the 3g and change the brightness of the screen to about 15%. Mine lasted 4 days with a little more usage than what your using. The 3g is really a battery eater.

Mar 29, 2009
Holy drained battery Batman,

Got my 3Gs yesterday at Apple Willowbend, put it on the charger last night, This AM it showed 100% 8 hours later its at 29% with regular usage.......

Hummmmm what am I doing wrong?

Woody1776

Bronze
Feb 26, 2008
DFW
Quit playing with it so much! j/k :)

Honestly the battery life will vary greatly depending on whatever your doing. Surfing the web, while listening to your ipod, with the brightness turned up all the way, and 3G on will kill your battery.

Just depends on what your doing and how much your doing it.

iCafe

Dec 11, 2007
www.wwtdd.com
Holy drained battery Batman,

Got my 3Gs yesterday at Apple Willowbend, put it on the charger last night, This AM it showed 100% 8 hours later its at 29% with regular usage.......

Hummmmm what am I doing wrong?
8 hours still 29% left sounds good to me

trnsilver

Zealot
Gold
Feb 2, 2008
Florida
If you are not using the phone or don't plan to, turn 3G off with the toggle. Make sure your screen brightness is not crazy high (I suggest 45% or lower) and you may want to take the "auto-brightness" function off.

Also, make sure your "lock" is only a minute or two, that way the screen shuts off when you're not using it. Or, just hit "lock" every time you are done playing.

I've been listening to music since 10 a.m. (EST) and played four games (about 30 minutes total). With 3G off, I have 65% left.

PS - Leave bluetooth off when you're not using it. This drains big-time.

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
No Doubt. I get around 5 on my 3G. I could use the extra 3 hours.
I got about 12-13 last week with my 3G but most of it was listening to music on the iPod. If I don't use the iPod I get between 5-6 hours.

sonicwind

Bronze
May 12, 2008
the battery life is definitely significantly shorter than the 3G.

I gotta wonder, where do they come up with these battery life statements? They're always wrong.

TMass518

Bronze
Jun 16, 2009
I say Holy Schmoly this thing has a short battery life! Woke up at 5:00 am got to work at 7:00 with regular usage by 2:00 pm I was at 21%. My BB 8830 with my regular usage can take over two full days before draining. Yes Wifi is off; it turns off quickly when not in usage and my screen is at 45%.

QuE1999

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
Battery life is definitely down, but I'm starting to think that this drain comes from the 3.0 update, not the 3GS. One of my good friends also notices shorter battery life and he has the 3G... I also came across this.

=====

Pocket-lint

Battery life issues reported with iPhone 3.0 update

22 June 2009 17:26 GMT / By Duncan Geere

Users complain of phones getting hot and draining quick

Pocket-lint has learnt that a number of iPhone 3G users are seeing battery life trouble since upgrading to the 3.0 firmware. It doesn't appear to be affecting all users, but some note their handsets getting hot and suffering severely reduced lifespan.

The problem was reported initially by users of the leaked 3.0 pre-build, and put down to it being a beta version, but it appears to have made it into the final release.

"My phone seems to be using about 10% per hour", said one user, with another saying "If you hold the phone near a Speaker then you can hear the phone is constantly transmitting on the GSM radio". Another user told Pocket-lint: "My battery's showing 20% remaining - it was fully charged five hours ago, and I've barely used it".

Apple told Pocket-lint that it isn't an issue that the company is aware of, but that it would be looking into and getting back to us. At the time of writing, that response hasn't materialized, but we'll keep you posted of any updates.

=====

Guess we'll just have to wait and see if Apple acknowledges something might be wrong with some of us who downloaded 3.0...

Tim Harper

Bronze
Aug 12, 2008
Springfield, IL
My battery is working fine. Turned off push and brightness down a little, did wonders for the battery. Also I noticed with every new full charge I do the battery is lasting longer then the day before.