Battery Life on iPhone 3G

mhochman

Bronze
Jul 16, 2008
Bar Harbor, Maine
What kind of battery life are you guys getting? I"ve got an 8gb 3g iPhone, and i've been keeping it plugged in most of the time, i had my phone on standby last night, fully charged, and by this morning 60% of the battery was gone..

I'm not in a 3g area, but i did have WiFi on, i'm guessing if i turn WiFi off when i'm not using it at home/work or a hotspot it will save battery life.

nbdiver

Bronze
Jul 7, 2008
Scottsdale, AZ
I had about 75% charge last night and when I woke up my battery was in the red. I had wifi turned off. The battery life so far is pretty pathetic compared to my Treo 700 which I thought was bad. Apparently you have to leave your iPhone on a charger all the time.

theraker007

Bronze
Jun 15, 2007
i got 5 hrs of usage if its HEAVY internet.
if its a typical day which consists of mostly internet, some app games, some ipod, some calls. i get about 5 hrs and 50min and sometimes a bit over 6 hrs of usage.

i keep push off since using nuevasync doesn't require it for calendar sync.. i have fetch set at 30 min for email.. brightness is set low at about 25% full which is plenty.

xxsirvtecxx

Bronze
Mar 3, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
They said supposedly battery life has been improved, I always keep my phone at a charge when im sleeping at night, and throughout the day i have it always plugged via usb into my laptop, but did notice when its not on charge this battery life is less than th 1st gen

theraker007

Bronze
Jun 15, 2007
whats the point of having a cell phone if u keep it plugged in all day.

i use the phone heavily and it lasts me the day. i don't understand what you guys are doing to cause it to drain so fast.

xxsirvtecxx

Bronze
Mar 3, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
The reason why I have a cellphone is I have a businesss to run, and am not in my office all the time, but when I am im sure to always keep it charged, when I am out on the road I get all my calls forwarded from the office to my cellphone...also ive used my phone for GPS in some cases thats my point of keeping it plugged in...i use it for managing not only my businesss but a schedule buddy

V Diddy

Bronze
Jul 16, 2008
you're killing your battery if you keep it plugged in all the time when it's already at 100% charge. it's not like a desktop PC people.

there was a long thread about this before.. seeing as i just woke up, i'll leave that up to you people to find it.. =P

Apple thought of this as such a great issue that they even put up a "battery" page on their official site. something like Apple.com/battery or something...

flabyboy

Jun 25, 2008
Minnesota
What kind of battery life are you guys getting? I"ve got an 8gb 3g iPhone, and i've been keeping it plugged in most of the time, i had my phone on standby last night, fully charged, and by this morning 60% of the battery was gone..

I'm not in a 3g area, but i did have WiFi on, i'm guessing if i turn WiFi off when i'm not using it at home/work or a hotspot it will save battery life.
Did you turn 3G off? If you are not in the area then turn it off so the phone stops searching for 3G signal. This will kill your battery quick. I put my phone in standbye at night with just edge going. No wifi, no 3G, no bluetooth and my battery indicator is the same in the morning.

mhochman

Bronze
Jul 16, 2008
Bar Harbor, Maine
Did you turn 3G off? If you are not in the area then turn it off so the phone stops searching for 3G signal. This will kill your battery quick. I put my phone in standbye at night with just edge going. No wifi, no 3G, no bluetooth and my battery indicator is the same in the morning.
Yeah i already turned 3g off, as i do not live in a 3g area. i'll try turning WiFi off at night as well and see what happens.

xxsirvtecxx

Bronze
Mar 3, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
regardless, whether its on charge or not, the phone loses its battery power, yes it maybe due to 3g or wifi...i guess you cant have your cake and eat it too

sau124

Jul 7, 2008
i got 5 hrs of usage if its HEAVY internet.
if its a typical day which consists of mostly internet, some app games, some ipod, some calls. i get about 5 hrs and 50min and sometimes a bit over 6 hrs of usage.

i keep push off since using nuevasync doesn't require it for calendar sync.. i have fetch set at 30 min for email.. brightness is set low at about 25% full which is plenty.
Double that - I get approx 5 hours with heavy internet and games and approx 30hrs standby time plus. I turn off my WiFi when no need, no push data and brightness is about 25% with auto feature disabled. I do not start bluetooth till I need it in the car.

streborhcaz

Bronze
Nov 16, 2007
I've got a Black 16GB and I'm on my second day of a single overnight charge. Granted I'm at 20% right now, but I've been using it fairly often for calls, music and apps. Not too shabby. :laugh2:

jareknyc

Silver
Aug 27, 2007
NYC
hey guys is there is additional battery that you could buy? Or nothing like that on the market yet

|3are

Silver
Jun 13, 2008
Texas
If your phone is draining that much on Standby, one thing that you might not be able to fix is just having the phone in an area where you have a weak signal, be it 3G OR Edge. If your phone keeps switching into No Service or something during the night and struggling to keep a signal, it'll kill the battery. This is true of any and every cell phone.

When my iPhone is on Standby at night, I turn off 3G, Wifi (actually, sometimes I leave this on at night -- I don't think this matters because I have an AirPort router about ten feet from the phone), GPS, Bluetooth, Push and Auto-Fetch. My phone almost never loses any battery power overnight.

flabyboy

Jun 25, 2008
Minnesota
hey guys is there is additional battery that you could buy? Or nothing like that on the market yet
There is a site www.mophie.com. They have some spendy battery packs for the iPhone, but don't have one developed for the 3G quite yet. May be an alternative for the future

BigCiX

Zealot
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Bakersfield, CA
today is the first time i took it off the charger and let it stay on 3g. i've sent out some text messages and received a few phone calls and im at 95%. i took it off around 8 this morning (now 3:15pm)

know1uno

Bronze
Mar 28, 2009
I purchased an iPhone last Saturday and the battery life just didn't seem good to me. I took it to the AT&T store and they said that I needed to return that phone to the Apple store. I did that yesterday and got a new iPhone. I charged it all last night, via my computer.

I unplugged it this morning and right now it is about 11:28 CDT and the battery is showing about half remaining. I've made two phone calls on it today, at the most, no texting, nothing.

Do I have another stinker of an iPhone or is this normal?

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Was it fully charged when you unplugged this morning? Make sure you don't have a faulty USB port and that the phone is really charging.
If it was fully charged, sounds like you need to return this one also.

PartisanEntity

Bronze
Oct 1, 2008
Austria
www.cognitivecombine.com
It happens sometimes that the phone will discharge quite fast, usually this happens when some application doesn't shut down properly (IMO).

Rebooting usually brings it back to normal discharge levels.

The 3.0 update brings (will bring) some noticeable battery life improvements, nothing astounding, but every extra minute counts :)

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
I purchased an iPhone last Saturday and the battery life just didn't seem good to me. I took it to the AT&T store and they said that I needed to return that phone to the Apple store. I did that yesterday and got a new iPhone. I charged it all last night, via my computer.

I unplugged it this morning and right now it is about 11:28 CDT and the battery is showing about half remaining. I've made two phone calls on it today, at the most, no texting, nothing.

Do I have another stinker of an iPhone or is this normal?
There are a few things you can do to improve battery life. Turn auto-brightness off. I turn my brightness down to an acceptable level, then turn auto off. Turn off Location Services until you need it. Turn off Bluetooth and WiFi until you need to use them. Make sure if you listen to music that you completely turn off the ipod feature by holding down the Home button until the Home screen appears.