Battery life on the iPhone 5

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
Looks OK to me. Here's one of my normal run times, more like what I got with my 4S on a good day:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354677244.453375.jpg

That's getting off the charger at work at about 4 and making it with 20% left just as I hit the bed at 10. Downloading and playing podcasts, web browsing, instant messengers (palringo, Skype, etc.), a couple short online videos, a couple 30 minute 3d gaming sessions. Brightness at 30%. No special location services tricks...I suppose I could try that.

My problem is that Skype will often not let the phone go properly to standby, so it's hard to get an accurate measure of how much the phone is actually in use. The amount of usage that Skype racks up while the phone is supposed to be asleep is somewhere in between actual sleep mode and normal usage mode (screen on). So I don't know if I actually did use it for 5 hours or if it was more like 3.5 and Skype has kept the phone awake in sleep mode for another hour and a half beyond that. I'll have to time it when I get some time.

Allan knight

Bronze
Nov 14, 2012
Mine has been at 1% for about 2-3 hours now. And I just had a little session with Siri a couple of minutes ago, and the battery is still going. I'm impressed.

I hear though that if you extremely wanna take care of your batteries life that you have to only charge it when it's fully drained and unplug it from the charger only if it's fully charged and nothing else (not quarter way, not half way etc., but fully charged) and not to leave it plugged in when it's already fully charged. Mind you this was only what I was told by a techie a couple of years ago and what little research I did.
Makes sense but this way requires too much effort

Allan knight

Bronze
Nov 14, 2012
I posted a pic on another thread. Now I can't remember how I did it.

VOLS34

Zealot
Gold
Jun 25, 2010
Another thing I found is if you play or stream music usage can look misleading compared to videos, games, & web browsing usage.

Sep 30, 2012
The battery life has been one of the many things that's impressed me about my IP5. Must confess I don't pay too much attention to the Usage screen - more important to me is that my perception of how often I'm needing to charge has been a lot lower than I expected for such a powerful bit of kit.

Okay, I'm not as heavy a user as some of you, but with wi-fi on constantly, most of the GPS-related features on and bluetooth on when I need it, I've been getting roughly a day-and-a-half to two days out of a full charge. As I said, for a powerful phone, I'm very happy with that.

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
Can't complain about almost five hours of usage on half a battery.
Mostly 4g. Little LTE. a touch of wifi. Mostly web browsing. Texts. Some GPS. Some pic taking. Watched a few videos. No music.
ImageUploadedByiCafe1355378378.571153.jpg

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
So decided when I got up was going to see what I could get out of a charge. No music. Some videos. Pics. Internet. 4g. LTE. Half on wifi. Lots of gaming.
ImageUploadedByiCafe1355648011.884290.jpg

For those that can't see that is at 22%.

bnroberts

Oct 22, 2011
Since the new software update my iPhone 4 uses up a lot more battery.

Sent from my iPod touch using iCafe app

GJCP911

Bronze
Aug 28, 2011
It's less than a day old. I'm shocked at this battery life. 3 hour 45 mins. Maybe after a few more extra long charges it might change. I was looking forward to an iPhone 5 upgrade from my old iPhone 4. My iPhone 4 has a better battery life.

Attachments

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
It's less than a day old. I'm shocked at this battery life. 3 hour 45 mins. Maybe after a few more extra long charges it might change. I was looking forward to an iPhone 5 upgrade from my old iPhone 4. My iPhone 4 has a better battery life.
Depends on what you've done with it. I can get it to die in an hour and a half if I crank the screen up to full brightness, have GPS navigation going in the background, and wirelessly stream a 3D game out to AirPlay.

On the other hand, I can squeeze about 9 or 10 hours out of it with light usage, low brightness, screen mostly off and playing podcasts.

GJCP911

Bronze
Aug 28, 2011
Depends on what you've done with it. I can get it to die in an hour and a half if I crank the screen up to full brightness, have GPS navigation going in the background, and wirelessly stream a 3D game out to AirPlay.

On the other hand, I can squeeze about 9 or 10 hours out of it with light usage, low brightness, screen mostly off and playing podcasts.
Everything was turned off to maximise battery life. The brightness was at its lowest with all the wifi and other battery draining options turned off.

VOLS34

Zealot
Gold
Jun 25, 2010
Everything was turned off to maximise battery life. The brightness was at its lowest with all the wifi and other battery draining options turned off.
Wifi actually helps battery.

Prozium12

Contributor
Bronze
Jan 22, 2012
Uk,Manchester
My 4s was much better as well, I find my ip4s camera was better as well..

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
So yesterday was the best day. Almost double an average day on my old iPhone.
ImageUploadedByiCafe1355803859.852834.jpg

That's at 30%. No music. Lots of games and scores.

GJCP911

Bronze
Aug 28, 2011
My 4s was much better as well, I find my ip4s camera was better as well..
My iPhone 4 camera was all blurry, I couldn't take any pictures or videos as everything turned out blurry. That's why I upgraded to the iP5.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
My iPhone 4 camera was all blurry, I couldn't take any pictures or videos as everything turned out blurry. That's why I upgraded to the iP5.
If your pics on your iPhone 4 were blurry, it's most likely a dirty camera lens.