Battery Life Poll

How is the battery life of your 3G versus your old v1?

• Better than v1.

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • The same as v1.

Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Somewhat less than v1.

Votes: 12 30.0%
  • MUCH worse than v1.

Votes: 15 37.5%
  • My v1 took a while to gain good battery life, so I'm on the fence.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Zachary Vex

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
Minneapolis
I'm very curious what everyone is experiencing for battery life. I know that many suggestions have been made that using the iPhone for a month or so will improve the battery life drastically, but I was a very early adopter (first day) of v1 and never saw an early problem with battery life like I've read about the 3G in this forum.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
If only the iPhone 3G lasted as long as my V1 iPhone...

iPhone-v2

Bronze
May 7, 2008
seattle
I don't care what others are saying....
I AM GETTING MUCH BETTER than v1.
it is lasting same with 3g ON and daily more using
People are not taking this thing in to account...
1. they are not aware that location services are ON by default,

2.they are using GPS(doesn't matter for how long... they still using it.. I use it just for fun 15-30 mins a day just to show off my friends) which drains battery faster and

3.they are using their new iPhone 3g much more than their v1 because of the obvious fact... Its new, people are excited to test it out.... APP STORE!.. and the list goes on and on....
So in short people are getting little less or same battery life in duration but technically if you count the quality time use ITS MUCH MORE BETTER..!

In short, I am getting the same duration vise and I am on 3G and using my new iPhone 3G more than ever....

Zachary Vex

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
Minneapolis
If a mod happens to notice this, could you sticky this poll for a week or two so we can see what's up with the battery issues in a quantitative way?

jbarrack

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
New York
www.facebook.com
I've noticed that if I use my iPhone like it was a first generation iPhone (Ie. Not using 3g, not using push, not using the apps you have downloaded, not using gps) the battery life is the same. When you factor in all the new cool stuff it does and you use it, the battery life is not as good. Idk if thats the same for everyone but its just what I've noticed.

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
The worst mistake Apple could have made, was introduce a 3G phone, without a removable battery. All 3G PDA phones I have used, would only last around 8 hours, before needing a recharge. So as you can imagine, the batteries never lasted anymore than 6 months, before they started to degrade, and I needed to buy a new one.

Big mistake by Apple if you ask me!

Another reason for having a removable battery, is so you can purchase an extended battery and get more usage out of your phone, whilst you're out on businesss etc.

Apple will learn one day!

little bob

Bronze
Jul 28, 2007
My wife got the 3g(I still have the V1 due to direct fulfillment) and I checked her battery when she got home today around 5:00p.m. and her batt was almost at 100%. She is not a nerd like myself that is constantly surfing the web, playing with apps, watching videos so keep that in mind. She has 3g on and wifi off, push on, fetching hourly and location services on.

It seems like my battery on my V1 is preforming terrible right now but it's probably just me playing games and such more than usual.

kisstine

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Northern California
I think that my battery draining issues are far more related to the change in usage than they are to the change of phone. I handed my v1 down to my husband, keep the gps & 3G turned off on my phone, and we seem to be draining our batteries at about the same rate.

I'm not saying other people aren't having problems. Just that, thankfully, I'm not one of them. :)

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
My opinion on battery life is, that you can't put the phone down. I'm always on it, but at least it gets me through my 8 hour shift.

Also, a lithium-ion battery life is degraded by time (age) and temperature not number of charge and discharge cycles.

Temperature is the main reason lithium-ion batteries fail.