Battery Life Problems Does Your Glow?

Does Your Battery "GLOW" when fully charged?

• Yes, I see it clearly

Votes: 29 38.7%
  • No, It's never glowed even when fully charged (showing plug icon in mini battery)

Votes: 27 36.0%
  • I'm really not sure... will check and report back!

Votes: 19 25.3%

• Total voters

ATT*Mark

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
yes look a page or 2 back i posted my current iPhones charged battery pics. it glows and shows a full charge.

Witness

Zealot
Gold
Jun 18, 2007
Miami,Florida
yes look a page or 2 back i posted my current iPhones charged battery pics. it glows and shows a full charge.
hmmmm...... When my phone is supposedly fully charged it seems as if there is like a millimeter or two that isint filled and my battery ising glowing. I don't know what to do, what if the new phone that they give me has even more bugs than the one I had before?

tamakin

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
wait for the software update next week.. its gonna fix the battery meter problem.. call 800-my-Apple and ask them.. they told me the update will fix the battery issues

Witness

Zealot
Gold
Jun 18, 2007
Miami,Florida
wait for the software update next week.. its gonna fix the battery meter problem.. call 800-my-Apple and ask them.. they told me the update will fix the battery issues
Thanks but what exactly do you mean by issues? Like the glowing and the not fully filled battery? Or are they going to make it last longer?

tamakin

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
Thanks but what exactly do you mean by issues? Like the glowing and the not fully filled battery? Or are they going to make it last longer?
They said sometimes the software won't display the battery meter correctly even if it was fully charged. So I would wait and see first. As long as your battery life is good, I wouldn't risk swapping it.

Witness

Zealot
Gold
Jun 18, 2007
Miami,Florida
They said sometimes the software won't display the battery meter correctly even if it was fully charged. So I would wait and see first. As long as your battery life is good, I wouldn't risk swapping it.
Yeah i think im gonna wait, are you sure though because when I plug it in to charge it hardly shows the full charged plug. Im going to do some tests on the battery life anyway, thanks for the info.

fully

Jul 12, 2007
Mine doesn't glow either and i let mine charge over night.

ice436

Jun 30, 2007
Battery Problems

I just got the 20% warning....

3 Hours 37 Mins of Usage
1 Day 1 Hour of Standby

That doesn't sound right to me, can someone confirm?

A320CA

Jul 3, 2007
"The fix"

I found something very interesting related to this topic of the battery meter showing fully charged. I usually charge my iPhone using the power supply attachment provided in the box every night. When I do this it never fully charges and never resets the usage properties. I will wake up every morning after it has been charging for 8+ hours to see that there is still a sliver of space from being fully charged.

However, when I plug it into the computer to charge through the USB (iTunes running in background) it will charge to 100% and reset the usage properties. I have done this two days in a row now with the exact same result.

Can anyone else confirm that this happens at their end. It may be an issue with the power supply attachment and the iPhone that doesn't complete the charging cycle.
It worked for me! Finally green, glowing and 100% charge!

After taking it off the wall charger (all night) and still not having a full green and glowing battery, I unlocked it and checked email and usage. I then plugged it into my laptop (allowed it to lock) and it continued to charge to a FULL and HEALTHY green and glowing battery at 100%! Thanks!

jordan

Bronze
Jun 18, 2007
Oklahoma
i got my new iPhone yesterday after taking my old one back due to poor battery usuage... charged the new one all night.. and waalaa glowing batery and getting great usuage now..

gmcenroe

Jul 5, 2007
San Mateo, CA
Before I put my iPhone on its charger last night I gave it a dose of ******, now it glows for at least 4 hours before I take it to the Apple store for a checkup.

Britna

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Yay, mine is glowing now. =]

Witness

Zealot
Gold
Jun 18, 2007
Miami,Florida

3 Hours 37 Mins of Usage
1 Day 1 Hour of Standby

I don't think so right now I have at 30 % is
Usage-6 hours
standby-16 hours 52 minutes

And my battery never fills up all the nor does it glow.

Britna

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I don't think so right now I have at 30 % is
Usage-6 hours
standby-16 hours 52 minutes

And my battery never fills up all the nor does it glow.

Take it off the charger for a second and put it back on. That's what I did. :)

Witness

Zealot
Gold
Jun 18, 2007
Miami,Florida
Take it off the charger for a second and put it back on. That's what I did. :)
kk I'll try im trying to run out my battery right now but i plugged it into my computer and the ac to charge and it still doesn't fill or glow still. I don't want to return it because battery life is okay.

iPhoneJones

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
I'm not showing any Usage or Standby times under "Time since last full charge". Granted it has been a day since full charge. Should I be worried? Next time I charge it I am going to check Usage. I don't know if my battery meter glows or not either. I do get the plug icon when fully charged.

ATT*Mark

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
through more self testing i found a battery drainer . "ask to connect" wifi feature , when its on its searching for wifi even if wifi is off. try turning that off as well while your not doing wifi guys i think you will see an increase.

ice436

Jun 30, 2007

3 Hours 37 Mins of Usage
1 Day 1 Hour of Standby

Ya know I thought of something, I had my email checking every 15 mins...

I wonder if that is what was killing my battery. Man they really need push email, it would be so much better.

Anyone have thoughts on whether this would kill my battery?

Thx

Jul 13, 2007
Ya know I thought of something, I had my email checking every 15 mins...

I wonder if that is what was killing my battery. Man they really need push email, it would be so much better.

Anyone have thoughts on whether this would kill my battery?

Thx
Push email would maybe help, but it's not an option, they use a synch feature like VZN does with my wife's LG EnV. I bet the battery life suffers mostly because of the big touchscreen (the coolest feature of the phone by far). WiFi use would use it up too, similar to the BT radio. Nobody on this thread has said how long it lasts until it dies, or how many mAH are in the battery. My Blackberry (lasts 4-5 days moderate use) will go at least another day after it hits 20%. I have a 30% larger battery in it though. I bet the iPhone will go 2-3 days before it dies.

askewed

Bronze
Jun 22, 2007
NJ
FYI

The iPhone's Battery Lifespan

By Jason Snell (jsnell@macworld.com)

Editor's Note: Next Friday's Macworld News Update (July 20) will be the final issue. Beginning Monday, July 23 you will receive the Macworld Weekly newsletter every Monday instead. The Monday newsletter contains the same product news and reviews you've come to expect from this version. If you already receive Macworld Weekly, don't worry -- you will continue to receive only one copy.

One of the biggest knocks on the iPhone has been its battery. It's not removable, which means -- like an iPod's battery -- it will eventually run out of juice and need to be replaced. But many media reports this week have gone further. Take, for example, CNET's review of the iPhone, which states that "Apple is estimating one battery will last for 400 charges -- probably about two years' worth of use."

Two years of use, the review says, and your iPhone dies. Or disappears in a puff of smoke, like those old tape recordings on "Mission Impossible." Sounds pretty awful, right?

Too bad it's completely wrong.

Apple estimates that the iPhone will lose 20 percent of its capacity -- a darn sight less than 100 percent -- "after 400 full charge and discharge cycles."

"Sadly, there are some inaccurate reports out there," Apple marketing vice president Greg Joswiak told me Thursday during a brief phone call from New York City. Joswiak isn't quite sure where the story went off the rails -- David Pogue's initial New York Times review of the iPhone mentioned the battery issue, but Pogue got it right: "Apple says that the battery starts to lose capacity after 300 or 400 charges." Somehow, though, things got lost in translation. And follow-on reports started claiming that 300 to 400 charges would be the end of the line.

"After 400 complete cycles, the iPhone's battery still has 80 percent of its charged capacity," Joswiak said. "And by a complete charge cycle, I mean completely draining the battery, a full chemical cycle." In other words, using a little battery and then putting your iPhone back in its dock doesn't count as a charge cycle. If you use a quarter of your iPhone's battery and then re-charge it, Joswiak said, that's the equivalent of a quarter of a charge cycle. "If you top it off, you're not wasting a charge cycle," Joswiak said.
Read more from Apple's Greg Joswiak

So let's put this in perspective: if you completely drained your iPhone's battery every day -- which would be a whole lot of use, since Apple estimates the iPhone can offer up to 8 hours of talk time per charge -- in about 13 months your battery would only hold 80 percent of its current charge. Or to put it another way, battery use will vary widely from person to person, but generally your iPhone will still be providing all but the heaviest users with good battery life even two years from now.