Battery life sucks after latest update

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Bannod

Bronze
Aug 11, 2007
At the beach, WA
I updated to 1.1.1 yesterday morning and did a full charge. At lunch I checked my email and listened to a podcast. When I went home at 5:30, the battery was in the red and wouldn't let me do anything.

Same thing today. Full charge this morning. Used the phone for about 15 minutes at lunchtime and had 3/4 of a charge. It was in the red again when I went home.

I always was able to go a couple of days without charging, before.

I don't see anything that's "on" that could be draining the battery, but I could be missing something.

Do batteries "go bad"? I've only had my iPhone for 2 months.

Jul 6, 2007
Marietta, GA
about.me
I updated to 1.1.1 yesterday morning and did a full charge. At lunch I checked my email and listened to a podcast. When I went home at 5:30, the battery was in the red and wouldn't let me do anything.

Same thing today. Full charge this morning. Used the phone for about 15 minutes at lunchtime and had 3/4 of a charge. It was in the red again when I went home.

I don't see anything that's "on" that could be draining the battery, but I could be missing something.

mine is completely fine, and i updated the day it came out, i use the ipod and internet and txting and phone constantly..if anything i think mine is a little bit better...

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL

Shut the phone down and reboot.
Then check the following things:
1)brightness. Mine stays over the "g" in auto-brightness, and my auto-brightness is on
2)WiFi & Bluetooth if you're not using them, turn them off.
3)mail retrieval. If you have it set to auto-check, try manual.
4)make sure that nothing is blocking the proximity sensor, keeping the screen alive
5)turn on the auto lock- set for 1 minute.

If none of this helps, contact Apple Support to have it tested/replaced

Prelector

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
Shut the phone down and reboot.
Then check the following things:
1)brightness. Mine stays over the "g" in auto-brightness, and my auto-brightness is on
2)WiFi & Bluetooth if you're not using them, turn them off.
3)mail retrieval. If you have it set to auto-check, try manual.
4)make sure that nothing is blocking the proximity sensor, keeping the screen alive
5)turn on the auto lock- set for 1 minute.

If none of this helps, contact Apple Support to have it tested/replaced
Make sure you have cell and EDGE coverage where you are during the day. If you do NOT have coverage there, put the device in airplane mode (or turn it OFF, not sleep). If there's no signal, or a very weak signal, the device will constantly try to connect to the towers, for both cell and EDGE. This will drain your battery FAST.

Scholar

Oct 3, 2007
don't forget to plug your wall charger into a surge protector. power spikes damage more phones/batteries than you would think.

alexster

Jul 15, 2007
I had the same problem. My usage and standby time was the same (about 6 hours)... I only used it for like 10 minutes. WiFi, Bluetooth are disabled, brightness is very low, and I always have a signal. It started happening after the software update. When I restarted the phone, the usage stopped going up and the battery seemed to last longer.

My friend was able to exchange his iPhone for a new one through the Genius Bar because of this issue. If this problem continues, I'm gonna do the same.

entong

Bronze
Sep 21, 2007
I had the same problem. My usage and standby time was the same (about 6 hours)... I only used it for like 10 minutes. WiFi, Bluetooth are disabled, brightness is very low, and I always have a signal. It started happening after the software update. When I restarted the phone, the usage stopped going up and the battery seemed to last longer.

My friend was able to exchange his iPhone for a new one through the Genius Bar because of this issue. If this problem continues, I'm gonna do the same.
is it the firmware problem such as bugs or another matter?it not suppose to be like that once u have update it.

whale_hunter

Bronze
Sep 11, 2007
Sometimes reading these threads helps because it jars my brain. My battery lasts almost the whole day, even with ALOT of internet use and Ipod,phone etc..

Till today.
I left for work at 6:00 a.m. and by the time I got dinner at 8 p.m. the phone was giving me a 20% warning.

I had used the phone a lot, but that still seemed weird. Then I read this thread and remembered that I had turned up my brightness last night all the way to the max :)

So I can vouch for the fact that you def. don't want to do that if you're looking to last a long time on one charge.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I had used the phone a lot, but that still seemed weird. Then I read this thread and remembered that I had turned up my brightness last night all the way to the max :)
LMAO
I had to return my original phone because of battery problems, and the new one is great - almost doubled my usage.
But then the other day, my battery was draining quick for some reason, and I was really pissed off that another phone was dying on me... till I realized that the brightness was on max.
gotta keep that mental checklist every time something funcky seems to happen. 9/10 it's user error.

alexster

Jul 15, 2007
The new firmware is probably running something continously that won't stop and we don't know about it. Whatever process it is, it's draining the battery.... until you restart and the process stops

Bannod

Bronze
Aug 11, 2007
At the beach, WA
Thanks for all the suggestions!

My brightness was up a little over half-way, so I lowered it to about 1/5. I also rebooted. I hope this fixes it. The nearest AT&T store is 45 minutes away and an Apple store is probably 3 hours away. :(

tfg

Jun 20, 2007
I had the same exact problem after upgrading last week. Just do the hold the home and sleep buttons down for 8 seconds or whatever and then it should be fine. Something must be running in the background after that update and it's draining the battery.

Think of the iPhone like a computer. After you install a new program, many times you have to restart your computer. I think it's kind of the same thing.

gt1948

Bronze
Jan 30, 2007
Memphis
Battery life cut in half since update

I've tried the restore per tech support using iTunes, same battery life results.
Will try the home/off button reset.....

Dallas Phil

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
I was at an Apple Store today to replace my earbuds and the Apple guy gave me two more battery tips. If you happen to live in a large city that has traffic on the Google Maps page, be sure that the car logo on the lover right is turned off. If not, maps will continue updating traffic. Another biggy is to make sure Safari is shut down. To do this, when you are ready to close out of Safari, hold down the home key for a few seconds. You will notice that the screen goes black and then you go to your home menu. When you go back into Safari, you go to your bookmarks because no active web page is running. I think this is a big battery life saver!

Oct 22, 2007

If you figure it out, come back and let me know. :(

I've already replaced mine, and it still has this problem.

Same as you're describing, and I've been through all of the tips and such listed in this thread.

It's weird, because before the update to 1.1.1, I had NO problems with battery life, and I had mine set to about the middle setting for brightness, I was having it retrieve my e-mails every 15 minutes, and I would get home at the end of the day (after using it all day, talking, texting, checking e-mail, and sometimes, even listening to music) and I rarely needed to recharge it.

I certainly never had it going into the red zone and switching off.

Also, mine gets very hot, and before this update, it wasn't an issue unless I was using WiFi while I still had it in the case.

It's very odd.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I was actually getting decent battery life with the new firmware, my longest time period between charges 2.75 days. I recently unlocked the phone and added programs, and now I am seeing the battery drain a bit faster. I have started to uninstall the programs and I am testing to see which one was causing the problem. I think I have narrowed it down, but until I know for sure, I am going to remain quiet about it.
If it turns out that it just unlocking it is causing the problem, then I am going to do a restore, test and then try again.
Generally, I pull about 8- 15MB over Edge, with about 1 hour of iPod, and about 30 minutes of calls every 24 hours. Bluetooth is not used that much, and WiFi is only used for about 20 minutes a day.
*EDIT* My faster battery drain was from using VNSea. tested without it, and everything was normal.