Battery life

robby69

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
I just have a regular iPhone AT&T with no apps.

I read in the forum where resetting the iPhone helped some people after the update, pressing home & off button.
(Couldn't get it to work)

Some people in the forum have said that the processor speed of the iPhone was increased in the last update, but probably not enough speed increase to lower battery life a lot.

It is just a real coincidence with the last update.

I hate to switch if for a refurm (other peoples probles), as mine has been working great since may.

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
I am running 1.1.2 and have not had any major battery related problems or decrease in life after upgrading. Maybe I was one of the fortunate few. If you have no apps and it is going dead that rapidly you might have a defective battery and unfortunately swapping it at the Apple store may be your only answer. Too bad someone can't create a battery monitoring utility that shows what is draining the most current in your operating system.

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
There is definitely a noticeable battery drop from 1.1.1 to 1.1.2. However yours seems a bit extreme. What are the reports usage time and standby times from your current phone? Maybe if you post those, others can post their and you can compare. That's a pretty easy way to look at it.

I use my iPod for 3-4 hours a day with moderate texting and email and I can just about get a day and a half before I have to recharge. I was getting over 2 with 1.1.1, so I have noticed a change. But it's still very usable.

adseguy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Try installing "services" through installer and make sure SSH is turned off. Some people forget that this gets left on.

robby69

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
Put my iPhone on the charger to get a full charge and do some battery testing.. 5 hours later wouldn't power on.. so my battery life going down must have been related to my iPhone on its last legs..
Have to send it in for repair, won't power on at all now.
Pretty ridiculous after just 3 months, and no abuse, and very little use.
I know electronics will fail, but I think Apple has some quality control issues.

oab

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
Dead battery

I've had my iPhone since they came out--no mods and have had to charge the battery only every other day. This morning tried to make a call and the battery was almost completely discharged (showing very little red). I have always left WiFi on with no problems. Wonder what could have happened--I was checking my e-mail before I went to bed perhaps it got hung up and stayed connected? It's been abouy two weels since updating to 1.1.2. Any thoughts?

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
When I went from 1.1.1 to 1.1.2 on my last phone, my battery usage went from roughly 8 hours of medium usage to less than 5. My phone also got very warm/hot during the update. I made an appointment, took it in, and they gave me a replacement.
The only thing I can say is that it's possible that some phones just do not like the update. I have updated the replacement I got, and the only thing I can say that was different was the I updated with almost a full charge already on the phone. Have no idea if that would make a difference, but it's something to think about.

Also, I have to add that after I initially updated, I did attempt to downgrade for jailbreaking purposes, and went all the way down to 1.0.2, then up to 1.1.1, and then back to 1.1.2. It's possible that 2 nights of doing that could have had a negative affect on my phone. Had to point that out because not everyone's situation is the same.

Oh, and on this updated phone, I have no issues with battery.

oab

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
When I went from 1.1.1 to 1.1.2 on my last phone, my battery usage went from roughly 8 hours of medium usage to less than 5. My phone also got very warm/hot during the update. I made an appointment, took it in, and they gave me a replacement.
The only thing I can say is that it's possible that some phones just do not like the update. I have updated the replacement I got, and the only thing I can say that was different was the I updated with almost a full charge already on the phone. Have no idea if that would make a difference, but it's something to think about.

Also, I have to add that after I initially updated, I did attempt to downgrade for jailbreaking purposes, and went all the way down to 1.0.2, then up to 1.1.1, and then back to 1.1.2. It's possible that 2 nights of doing that could have had a negative affect on my phone. Had to point that out because not everyone's situation is the same.

I have been charging my phone for over two hours with the computer USB--not much change in the battery life indicator (still red--no green). How long should it take to charge up? Never used the USB for charging before.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
the battery life indicator (still red--no green).
Well, I can tell you that if the icon in the upper right corner is not showing a battery with a lightning bolt in it, you aren't charging.
Make sure that the PC you are connected to has iTunes installed and running. Otherwise, the phone will not charge. (technically, iTunes doesn't have to be running, but I would launch it just to be sure that all components are active)
The only exceptions to this are car chargers and the USB wall charger that came with the phone.

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
Well, I can tell you that if the icon in the upper right corner is not showing a battery with a lightning bolt in it, you aren't charging.
Make sure that the PC you are connected to has iTunes installed and running. Otherwise, the phone will not charge.
The only exceptions to this are car chargers and the USB wall charger that came with the phone.
Are you sure Hawk? My iPhone is charging up ok now plugged into a USB of a Linux server that doesn't know anything about iTunes. It seems to charge OK on any USB I've found so far.

Charging seems MUCH slower over USB when it's in the cradle at home - but then again that''s plugged into a USB hub that's well over-contended. A full charge there takes about 5 hours.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Really? I couldn't get mine to charge on a Win2k laptop at all. It recognized the iPhone, but wanted drivers. iTunes was not installed ( and the latest could not be installed, as it's not supported)

spud

Bronze
Nov 5, 2007
when you charge, do you turn the phone off?

I "had" similar issues with my battery. My phone is not hacked..jacked etc... Whenever i notice that my phone doest make it the whole day, I will turn my phone off, put it on the charger over night and then turn it on in the morning. I also would reset the phone before doing this..

I've had to do that a couple times, but since then, i now just put it on the doc every night(phone stays on) going to bed and it no longer drains quickly.

I will caveat by saying that i am not a HEAVY user. I keep WiFi off unless i am using it. I still have mail check every 15 min, but my Gmail is set for pop not IMAP. I occasionally check weather..stocks...and use the mapping.. So to me that is not heavy use...

Not sure if that helps, but it seemed to make a difference after resetting, charge with it off over night a few times.

**Oh, don't forget that you have to turn the phone off once it is on the charger, if you turn it off, then put it on the charger, the phone turns back on..

oab

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
Make sure that the PC you are connected to has iTunes installed and running. Otherwise, the phone will not charge. (technically, iTunes doesn't have to be running, but I would launch it just to be sure that all components are active)

Thanks, didn't know that you had to be connected to iTunes to charge the phone with the USB port--that explains why it wasn't charging. Anyway, went home to get both my car and A/C charger--happily, the phone is charging. Now, if I can only figure out why the phone completely discharged overnight.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
make sure that you don't have Bluetooth, WiFi, and email checking all on. That's a sure battery drain.
Also, if you happen to have a webpage that updates open in Safari, that would also drain some battery. When I am done browsing, I always open a new window, and then go back and close the one I was browsing in, just to make sure nothing is updating in the background.

oab

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
make sure that you don't have Bluetooth, WiFi, and email checking all on. That's a sure battery drain.
Also, if you happen to have a webpage that updates open in Safari, that would also drain some battery. When I am done browsing, I always open a new window, and then go back and close the one I was browsing in, just to make sure nothing is updating in the background.
Have always left WiFi on with no battery problems--also learned early on to check my e-mail manually. As you suggested, I think Safari was the culprit (at least hope so) something must have been open. Thanks again.

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
Really? I couldn't get mine to charge on a Win2k laptop at all. It recognized the iPhone, but wanted drivers. iTunes was not installed ( and the latest could not be installed, as it's not supported)
As painful as it was, I found a WinXP machine and the iPhone charges from that too. There's no iTunes installed and the pc popped up the 'camera and scanner wizard' when I plugged the iPhone in - but I dismissed that.

gijohn

Bronze
Jul 22, 2007
Don't know if this fits in to this thread .... but: Friends iPhone battery indicator in the red. He charges the phone overnight and the next morning the battery indicator still indicates in the red. Only if he turns the phone off then back on will he get a full charge indication on his battery level.