Battery life

Boosted_Brian

Bronze
Oct 30, 2007
I had shitty battery life also a few weeks ago after updateding to 1.1.2. I reset the phone by holding Home and the Power button until the phone powered off. Powered the phone back on. Email to update manually. (I sit infront of a computer all day with all my mail accounts through outlook so this isn't a big inconvenience for me.) Turned off everything, ie: Bluetooth, Wifi, and SSH. I listen to the ipod about 1.5 hours a day. I text message continuously through out the day, I would say about 500 sent and received a day... at least according to my last bill. Talk on the phone about a total of an hour a day (mainly use office phone for businesss calls)

I have gone three days with this several times have yet to see the 20% battery icon.

However, yesterday, which would have been day two of the usually three day routine, my phone died half way through the day. I found it odd, and investigated and found that I had left the SSH on. It ate through my battery VERY quickly. Many times when this happened my battery has died without warning at all.

darmac

Dec 5, 2007
bad battery

has anyone on the go phone plan had any success swapping out their iPhone? I am having huge battery issues but I don't know how Apple look at iPhones on the go plan.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
It doesn't matter what plan you have with AT&T, so long as you are the registered purchaser of the phone, they will support it.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Don't know if this fits in to this thread .... but: Friends iPhone battery indicator in the red. He charges the phone overnight and the next morning the battery indicator still indicates in the red. Only if he turns the phone off then back on will he get a full charge indication on his battery level.
That almost sounds like something I would take in and get replaced. If the phone is having problems showing the correct indicator for the battery, then there is a problem with the OS. Try a restore and if it doesn't fix it, then schedule a time to take it in.

darmac

Dec 5, 2007
I bought the phone from a local att store then a friend activated it for me with my credit card. So what name would it be under? The name that bought it? Or the name that activated it Ior the name that gets billed for it?

Also what's the cs number? Am I calling AT&T or Apple?

Lacrosse4life31

Aug 3, 2007
yes, I'm starting to have battery problems too... I've had mine since July and mine seems as though it is starting to die out. It lasts about 1 day. Which is good for most of you, but I don't make to many calls, I just use the iPod function (not video) and texting ALOT. Other then that, I don't do to much with it. Maybe notes and weather and such, but not often.
It's not unlocked, It's not modded or any of that. Just a plain ol' legit iPhone.

I think it's just because after using it everyday the battery starts to detiorate.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I bought the phone from a local att store then a friend activated it for me with my credit card. So what name would it be under? The name that bought it? Or the name that activated it Ior the name that gets billed for it?

Also what's the cs number? Am I calling AT&T or Apple?
Call Apple - 1800 My Apple

Lacrosse4life31, your phone should not be dying off that quickly. Try this:
Before you charge next. Reboot the phone. Make sure that you have a blank webpage in Safari, turn off all radio ( wifi and BT) signals that you can and then charge.
Also, turn the brightness down, with Auto set to ON.
Make sure that in iPod settings (under settings) sound check is off and EQ is off.
When your phone is fully charged, go into settings- Usage and clear usage data. Disconnect the iPhone and then verify that you don't have dashes for usage and standby in the usage section ( get out of it and go back in)
Use the phone till your first warning (20%). With light to moderate usage, you should be able to go 2-3 days. My version of medium usage is between 30 and 60 minutes of usage for each function ( phone, iPod, edge web browsing, BT, WiFi, ) over a 2 day period, with iPod and BT being at least 60 minutes a day each and the rest are up to 60 minutes total for each.
You should be able to get between 6 and 8 hours of usage. Standby doesn't really matter as much.
If you get less than 5 hours under the above guidelines, then document usage for the next 3 charges, do a restore and test again, and if it's still poor, contact Apple.

ta2smitty

Bronze
Jul 16, 2008
is there anyway to tell just how much battery life I have left other then a tiny icon of a battery? is there something in the setting that I'm missing? They need a battery meter app...like the widgets they have for the macs.

iphone62907

Bronze
Jun 25, 2007
i got an ipohne 3g third day it came out, had a few actually. gave up on it right before the 2.1 update. is the battery life that much better with the update? I love that my berry lasts all day, but the iPhone is well... an iPhone!

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Yes, the battery life is much better with 2.1.

And I know what you mean about the BlackBerry battery life ;)

redjamaal

Nov 2, 2008
It's a lot better, still not on the level as a blackberry though. I had a curve before the iPhone. The BB I could go 2-3 days between charging, with the iPhone I had to buy an additional charger I keep at work just in case even so sometimes I don't make it from after work Friday happy hour until the end of the night (around 2:00 am) without the red battery indicator coming on. Normally just a lot of text messaging during the night making plans. But before 2.1 I wouldn't have made it that long.

AdrianCubed

Zealot
Gold
Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
2.1 has made great improvements in battery life, I agree with all of the posters above though, it's still not as good as a berry.

But the berry cant do half the things the iPhone can.

Guys don't forget, our phones are very powerful, they do thinks very well, so be happy that the battery life is this good for such a power demanding device.