Battery meter incorrect? Please help

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

buzznfrog

Jul 14, 2007
Hi folks,

I was just using my iPhone for about an hour on wi-fi and watched as the battery meter creeped down to what seemed to look like ~30% or so. Wanting to sync with my mac, I plugged it in and, like a good iPhone, it began to charge. When the big "charging battery meter" showed up, my battery was at ~60%! Has anyone else noticed this?

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
My battery went nuts last night. Went to bed with a 90% charge only to find it at around 20% in the morning. This was on the tiny battery meter.

When I synced the larger battery was more like 40% and it quickly rose to 60%. But after disconnecting it went back down to 20%.

Turned the iPhone off (holding down the sleep button) and when it came back on the battery meter showed nearly 100%.

Don't know if it's my iPhone or not, but it looks like I have to return mine to due extremely poor WiFi range (like 20').

Trying a full restore now to see if that help...

--
Mike

buzznfrog

Jul 14, 2007
That's a very interesting case you have. Do a full restore and let me know how it goes please. I have a suspicion that the iPhone's battery woes are partially due to the software not reading the battery correctly. Software update, hint hint Apple.

buzznfrog

Jul 14, 2007
I'm replying to my own post (again) b/c my "charging battery" just went DOWN from ~60% to ~45%. I have no idea what's going on. - Towlie

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I did a restore--two actually--and it did seem to stabilize my battery meter. I have yet to see the "glowing battery" so maybe now I will.

The first restore, after which I let iTunes use my latest iPhone backup to restore data from, did not help my degrading WiFi. (That one is strange: when connecting to my DSL modem/router, with built-in WiFi, my iPhone would actually turn off the WiFi radio.)

The second time I restored I bit the bullet and treated my iPhone as if it was new. Battery still seems OK at least for now. I definitely agree that it's a software issue, but OTOH I'd be upset if my iPhone shut down due to low battery when in reality it was 50%+ charged.

Hope an update arrives soon...

--
Mike

buzznfrog

Jul 14, 2007
I too would be severely angry if my iPhone turned shut down when it really had half of the battery remaining.

I'm going to do a full charge then run it non-stop to see what's really happening.