Battery Myth, I think

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

adoll

Aug 20, 2007
I have heard that if you let the battery completely drain that it will not recharge and you have to send it in to Apple to get a new one. To me this sounds absurd, although mine has never drained. The only reason I am asking is because I heard it from a reputable source.

RJ1

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
Celebration FL
Myth.. BUSTED! twice already my battery ran out it shut off had a little loading icon in the middle of the phone and blank. Charged it and still works

DRabbit

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
I have heard that if you let the battery completely drain that it will not recharge and you have to send it in to Apple to get a new one. To me this sounds absurd, although mine has never drained. The only reason I am asking is because I heard it from a reputable source.
Myth BUSTED! LOL (I'm a geek - love that show)...

I INTENTIONALLY let my completely drain once a month, as recommended by Apple. It recharges just fine.

adoll

Aug 20, 2007
Thats What I Thought, Thank you.

Thats what I thought. Why does Apple recommend draining your battery once a month. Is it supposed to help the longevity of the battery?

Kabeyun

Silver
Jan 10, 2007
Northeast US
I INTENTIONALLY let my completely drain once a month, as recommended by Apple.
Actually, this is only recommended by Apple if you don't use your iPhone (iPod, laptop, etc.) regularly. In their words, "Lithium-ion batteries need to be used for maximum performance. If you don’t use your device often, be sure to complete a charge cycle at least once a month."

Here's an interesting ArsTechnica article on Li-ion batteries, and here's Apple's battery page. Here's Apple's iphone-specific page on maximizing battery life. Under "Use iPhone Regularly," they state that "For proper maintenance of a lithium-based battery, it’s important to keep the electrons in it moving occasionally. Be sure to go through at least one charge cycle per month." Note that one charge cycle does not necessarily mean one complete drain and one full charge (read the "Standard Charging" section).

Cheers,

-K