Battery Observations After 1 Week [Good News]

danielrm26

Jul 1, 2007
So I've had my iPhone since launch and like many others I've been somewhat worried about battery performance. The first day I only made it to around 5pm before my charge was gone (starting at 8am). The second day I made it to around 10pm.

But now -- several charges later -- my battery life just keeps improving. Two days ago I went a full 18 hours with moderate to heavy use of all features. It seems to be a matter of optimizing your settings and conditioning your battery.

[UPDATE]: My usage stats currently show 3 Hours, 36 Minutes of use and 1 Day, 1 Hour of standby. My Lifetime reads 6 Hours, 22 Minutes. That’s over 24 hours of moderate use, and I still have roughly 40% of my charge remaining.

Here's how I did it.

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
Yeah, I was kinda annoyed at first with the battery use, then I realized that i haven't had a smart phone in a while, and when I did, it was actually a little worse. haha

I switched to the iPhone from a SLIVR. You couldn't MAKE the battery die. lol

MadDog31

Bronze
May 15, 2007
Wilmington, NC
www.bitterfans.com
I'm noticing better battery life as I go also...I definitely think conditioning is the biggest thing. I've gone a couple days on charges from doing minor things, nothing major. Although 2 nights ago I tried running the battery down by watching a ton of YouTube vids and the battery hardly budged and it ended up outlasting me b/c I was tired after that...haha...so I definitely think as we go, we'll see better and better performance.

That being said, I still gotta keep in mind it's a smartphone, not my basic freebie cell phone I've had in the past that had a battery last me a full week...haha

DRabbit

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
I'm noticing better battery life as I go also...I definitely think conditioning is the biggest thing. I've gone a couple days on charges from doing minor things, nothing major. Although 2 nights ago I tried running the battery down by watching a ton of YouTube vids and the battery hardly budged and it ended up outlasting me b/c I was tired after that...haha...so I definitely think as we go, we'll see better and better performance.

That being said, I still gotta keep in mind it's a smartphone, not my basic freebie cell phone I've had in the past that had a battery last me a full week...haha
Same here. Also, turning WiFi and Bluetooth off when you're not using them really helps. I'm using EDGE exclusively for e-mail and only use WiFi when I need to to browse the web. I also turned my brightness down a bit.

Doing so, I've gone 2 days without needing to charge (charged it full Monday night... didn't have to stick it back on the charger until Wednesday night).