Battery Percentage Jumps Up & Down

aznboiser

Bronze
Nov 21, 2007
Anyone else going through this problem? One moment my battery would be 70% then 10 minutes later it goes to 50%. Later again, it goes back up. For awhile, I thought I was just imagining. Does it have to with the phone being jailbroken?

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
Anyone else going through this problem? One moment my battery would be 70% then 10 minutes later it goes to 50%. Later again, it goes back up. For awhile, I thought I was just imagining. Does it have to with the phone being jailbroken?

Hi: Nope! It does not have to do with the phone being jailbroken at all. This happened to me some weeks ago. It was not cute at all. It was so frustrating! I had a major battery problem. I have a post about it click on Power Plunder>>> Power plunder! (1 2) . I had to do a hard restart and that helped eventually I guess. I don't have the battery jump problem anymore. I had a host of other problems that lead to my battery drainage deal though. The culprit ended up being the fact that i had too many web pages open and they were refreshing every thirty seconds and they were stealing my power.

But to answer your question. you are not the only one this has happened to and it is not because you are jailbroken. A hard restart might help. Check and make sure none of your apps are running in the background too. I don't know how you can check but that could be a stealer and a manipulator of power as well.

You could also let the battery drain completely and recharge it from the wall not the computer to get it set again. That might help as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Neo-Tech

Bronze
Oct 24, 2008
This was happening to me as well, I did a full drain and charge from the plug and it seems a bit better, although the battery has life is like a 3G now :/

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Battery life and the percentage display seem rather erratic with 3.0 and the 3GS. Remember that this feature is basically 1.0, so I think they're still ironing out some kinks with its reliability in reporting how much juice you actually have. Fully draining and charging fully every so often has always been the recommendation, but it seems especially important for the 3GS.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
With your phone plugged into either a wall socket or computer, perform a Hard Reset whilst plugged in. It's a form of Battery Calibration, it does help.

^ As mentioned, totally draining your battery and fully recharging it helps as well.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Hold down the home button and power button until the phone restarts and the Apple logo appears, once you see the logo, release the buttons. Remember to keep the phone plugged in.

Jul 14, 2008
It's not just the 3GS phone. I have a 3G also that is on 3.0 and it too has this weird problem. It gave me the 20% warning and I plugged it in. It jumped up to 40% as soon as I plugged it in.

aznboiser

Bronze
Nov 21, 2007
It's not just the 3GS phone. I have a 3G also that is on 3.0 and it too has this weird problem. It gave me the 20% warning and I plugged it in. It jumped up to 40% as soon as I plugged it in.

that just happened to me too...this is so annoying! I wonder if a full restore would solve the problem

CK6Speed

Aug 31, 2009
I have had the exact same problem for the last 3 days. My battery would rapidly discharge at about 1% per minute while the phone was on with no apps or webpages running. I have done a number of hard resets, and even done a couple of full restores though iTunes. My latest restore I left it as a new phone with none of my music, apps, or videos synced or loaded. I only loaded two apps to monitor the phone. A battery monitor app, and a CPU usage app. So far the battery doesn't discharge as fast, but still at a rate of about 1% every 2-3 minutes in idle. I also get the random jumping battery percentage. Today, mine went from 100%, down to about 65%, then jumped back up to 76%, then discharged a little, then suddenly went down to 58%, then held fairly steady and discharged down to about 28%, then jumped back up to 43%, then jumped back down to 10%, discharged to 5%, jumped back up to 11%, then discharged down to 5 or 6%, then jumped back up to 11%, the finally discharged down until the phone shut itself down. For the last 2 days I have been trying to recondition the battery by fully charging to 100%, then letting it discharge fully until the phone shuts itself down, then fully charging again to 100%, and so far nothing has worked. I'm still only getting about 2.5 hours of actual use on the phone.

Since my phone just shut itself down, I'm going to do another full charge and see what happens. I also just did the hard reset with the phone plugged in and charging as suggested above. If none of this works I'm headed to the Apple Store after work tomorrow. This is frustrating because I can't use the phone since the battery discharges so quick. I usually get about 50-100 texts per day, and do about 100MB data or so per day and my phone use to at least last about 5 hours before I had to recharge. Now, even if I do half that usage my phone will be dead within 2 hours.

Also, 20 minutes ago a plugged my phone into the charger from a completely dead battery and its up to 47% already. Does it really charge that fast?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I've been having a lot more of this phenomenon lately. For me, my battery will appear to drain very quickly, but then shoot up quickly when charging again. I've drained my battery to nothing recently and fully charged, so I should be relatively "synced" with actual battery life. But I'm not.

Like today, I was at the studio 8 hours and lost about 50% of my battery with only 1.5 hours of actual usage showing (and it wasn't nearly that much... I swear I do work! :)). On the drive home on the car charger, it shot back up 30% during a commute in which it generally only gains 6-8%.

Something ain't right.

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
I've been having a lot more of this phenomenon lately. For me, my battery will appear to drain very quickly, but then shoot up quickly when charging again. I've drained my battery to nothing recently and fully charged, so I should be relatively "synced" with actual battery life. But I'm not.

Like today, I was at the studio 8 hours and lost about 50% of my battery with only 1.5 hours of actual usage showing (and it wasn't nearly that much... I swear I do work! :)). On the drive home on the car charger, it shot back up 30% during a commute in which it generally only gains 6-8%.

Something ain't right.

Hey there psylichon. In an effort to recycle an old thread and further, recycle a not so old answer in this very own thread here ya go:

This happened to me some weeks ago. It was not cute at all. It was so frustrating! I had a major battery problem. I have a post about it click on Power Plunder>>> Power plunder! . I had to do a hard restart and that helped eventually I guess. I don't have the battery jump problem anymore. I had a host of other problems that lead to my battery drainage deal though. The culprit ended up being the fact that i had too many web pages open and they were refreshing every thirty seconds and they were stealing my power.

Sorry, I just copied and pasted my earlier answer to the OP in this thread. But I think you are going through what I went through and now I'm thinking while the web pages SEEMED TO BE MY BATTERY DRAINAGE PROBEM(as I don't have the problem at all anymore), if you don't have any web pages or as many open, then this is probably software 3.0 related as someone stated before.

Hopefully 3.0.1 can solve this issue.

Last edited by a moderator:

njdevils1986

Bronze
Jul 6, 2009
Tinton Falls, NJ
Something has to be going on. For the last 2 days my battery went from 100% down to about 30% then up to 75% all within about 4 hours. So far today it seems better, off charge at 7am and now at 98%. If I notice a quick drain I will post again. WEIRD~!

aznboiser

Bronze
Nov 21, 2007
I have had the exact same problem for the last 3 days. My battery would rapidly discharge at about 1% per minute while the phone was on with no apps or webpages running. I have done a number of hard resets, and even done a couple of full restores though iTunes. My latest restore I left it as a new phone with none of my music, apps, or videos synced or loaded. I only loaded two apps to monitor the phone. A battery monitor app, and a CPU usage app. So far the battery doesn't discharge as fast, but still at a rate of about 1% every 2-3 minutes in idle. I also get the random jumping battery percentage. Today, mine went from 100%, down to about 65%, then jumped back up to 76%, then discharged a little, then suddenly went down to 58%, then held fairly steady and discharged down to about 28%, then jumped back up to 43%, then jumped back down to 10%, discharged to 5%, jumped back up to 11%, then discharged down to 5 or 6%, then jumped back up to 11%, the finally discharged down until the phone shut itself down. For the last 2 days I have been trying to recondition the battery by fully charging to 100%, then letting it discharge fully until the phone shuts itself down, then fully charging again to 100%, and so far nothing has worked. I'm still only getting about 2.5 hours of actual use on the phone.

Since my phone just shut itself down, I'm going to do another full charge and see what happens. I also just did the hard reset with the phone plugged in and charging as suggested above. If none of this works I'm headed to the Apple Store after work tomorrow. This is frustrating because I can't use the phone since the battery discharges so quick. I usually get about 50-100 texts per day, and do about 100MB data or so per day and my phone use to at least last about 5 hours before I had to recharge. Now, even if I do half that usage my phone will be dead within 2 hours.

Also, 20 minutes ago a plugged my phone into the charger from a completely dead battery and its up to 47% already. Does it really charge that fast?

wow, looks like you tried everything. i was about to do all those steps too but i guess it doesn't work. please let me know how it goes with Apple, as i may do the same. i too noticed the decrease in battery life of 1% per minute..doing nothing..that is totally stupid. please keep me posted.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Had a new one today: Head out to the studio today as usual with 100% charge, 0 usage. After about 3 hours, I'm showing 1 hour of usage (which is not nearly actual usage) with the battery at 70%. The new thing was that it stayed there for a couple hours, with heavier use. My battery percentage just hovered at 70% for a LONG time, then started dipping normally. Charging in the car on the ride home was a bit faster than usual again, though not as fast as last time. My wife is having speedy (apparent) battery drain lately as well. I'm on 3.1b3 and she's on a purplera!ned 3.0.

It's freakin' voodoo I tell you. I really hope they resolve this with the official 3.1 update.

CK6Speed

Aug 31, 2009
Went to the Genius Bar today and what do you know. They gave me a new iPhone. I'm still not 100% sure it is really a battery problem and not some sort of software mismatch between certain apps and 3.0.1, but it doesn't matter to me right now as I got a new phone. I will load everything back up and see how the battery lasts on this phone. If the battery life lasts a lot longer, it was the battery. If it only shows marginal better performance or is the same, I would think it has to be a software or app problem. I'll post back later after a day or two of use with my new phone.

aznboiser

Bronze
Nov 21, 2007
Went to the Genius Bar today and what do you know. They gave me a new iPhone. I'm still not 100% sure it is really a battery problem and not some sort of software mismatch between certain apps and 3.0.1, but it doesn't matter to me right now as I got a new phone. I will load everything back up and see how the battery lasts on this phone. If the battery life lasts a lot longer, it was the battery. If it only shows marginal better performance or is the same, I would think it has to be a software or app problem. I'll post back later after a day or two of use with my new phone.

what kind of test's did they run to actually determine that it IS a problem?

CK6Speed

Aug 31, 2009
what kind of test's did they run to actually determine that it IS a problem?
Nothing special. They just downloaded the last 2 week usage history from the phone and it showed my phone was only getting 5 hours of standby. He said 20 hours or more is what they would like to see. Personally, I don't think it is that great of a test method as it really doesn't tell you if the battery can't handle under load, but that is their method and it got me a new iPhone so I'm happy.

llrickman

Contributor
Silver
Jan 12, 2008
Albuquerque , NM
ive got an appointment at the genius bar in Albuquerque saturday morning for this same problem. Today my usage has been medium but battery life has been great. (did a 32 min voice recording at the jeff dunham show tonight)

Yesterday i left for work got to my office. went to the wifes work and in about an hour from unplugging it it went from 100% to 69% with NO usage

gonna get both phones swapped i hope

Neo-Tech

Bronze
Oct 24, 2008
Wow 69%, what a number, xD.

Seems I'm getting this Idle drain as well, I just hope 3.1 comes next week, pleeeeeease Apple pleeeeease!