Battery Performance

ZipZap

Silver
Dec 15, 2007
In practice, what are you all doing to maximize battery performance?

I noticed there there does not appear to be an option to stop programs running in memory, as I have in a WM5/6 phone

Does this drain the battery, or is the iPhone optimized to shut these down on its own?

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
In practice, what are you all doing to maximize battery performance?

I noticed there there does not appear to be an option to stop programs running in memory, as I have in a WM5/6 phone

Does this drain the battery, or is the iPhone optimized to shut these down on its own?

Turn off wifi, turn off bluetooth, turn email to manual. These are the big ones.

Domin8stang

Bronze
Jun 25, 2007
If you have an unlocked phone, turn off SSH and WIFI when you arent using it, and bluetooth as well. SSH was a big one for me, now my battery life is AWESOME compared to how it used to be when OpenSSH was running all the time.

rgarjr

Bronze
Nov 19, 2007
Does the WIFI stay on even though you're not using the phone and the screen is black (sleep mode)?

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
Does the WIFI stay on even though you're not using the phone and the screen is black (sleep mode)?
No - it turns off completely. Have the phone sleep when it's not in use and keep the brightness as far down as possible. SSH makes no difference to battery life whatsoever. Having the phone 'on' and awake and doing network while you're ssh'ing uses as much juice as surfing the internet though.

ZipZap

Silver
Dec 15, 2007
Forgive my ignorance, but I don't see where I have any control over SSH on the phone.

With my old phone I used to be able to shut off the edge and only turn it on when I wanted to use it. I don't see any option for doing this....anyone have any suggestions?

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
There are programs that you can add if your phone is jailbroken to turn those off when not in use.

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
Forgive my ignorance, but I don't see where I have any control over SSH on the phone.

With my old phone I used to be able to shut off the edge and only turn it on when I wanted to use it. I don't see any option for doing this....anyone have any suggestions?
If your phone is not modified it won't have SSH on already. There are various applications that can turn services on and off but the big savings come from having auto-lock set to as short a time as possible, brightness down as far as you can, and then leaving the phone in standby unless you need to make a call, or want to know who the President of Bolivia was in 1945. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gualberto_Villarroel

ZipZap

Silver
Dec 15, 2007
Can you be more specific? What program?

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
Can you be more specific? What program?
I think it's called Services.app - there's another that Termleach reviewed hereabouts somepart called NetServices I think.

Personally I've gone back to using a stock phone . The battery lasts twice as long. Not because of anything that jailbreaking does, it just gives you less reason to be playing with the phone

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
You have to weigh the options, great battery life vs. great programs.... I think I will stick with the great programs and just charge it more often. Can't wait to see what the developers kit results in being released. I think I will go back to stock when the final software starts coming out.