Battery problem

Oct 1, 2007
my bsttery life sucks ive been useing it for about 3 hours now and im st lees then half.when i got it the person st the cingular store said i didn't had to charge it out of the box.so I didn't charge it when I openend it

Prelector

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
my bsttery life sucks ive been useing it for about 3 hours now and im st lees then half.when i got it the person st the cingular store said i didn't had to charge it out of the box.so I didn't charge it when I openend it
First, use spellcheck, makes it a lot easier for others to understand what you're saying... especially when you're asking for help :p

Second, if the store employee said you didn't have to charge it, he was partially right... it probably had some charge in there, but it wasn't a FULL charge.

Third, hard to say what kind of battery life you should expect without know how you were using it for those 3 hours... if you were watching video, full brightness, with wifi and bluetooth both turned on, then 3 hours to 50% is damn good!

Last, I have to assume you've used an electronic device before... so come on man! How can you start yelling "my battery(sic) life sucks" before you've even freaking charged it!

Oct 1, 2007
I'm on my phone right now is why my typing is bad i have auto bright on and wifi and blue tooth off. All ive been doing today is going on the Internet

Oct 1, 2007
just the internet useing edge

tzhourdeka

Bronze
Jul 25, 2007
edge + internet = a lot less battery life

adseguy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Guys, he just opened it too. You need to go through a few charge cycles for Li-Ion batteries to show their real performance.

Give it about a week and a half of good use, you'll see that it'll be OK. BTW 3 hours of internet use and you are at half? That is totally normal.

Also remember just because "auto bright" is turned on doesn't mean you don't have to adjust the slider too. All auto bright does is move slightly brighter or dimmer according to ambient light. It does not go the full range.

and finally welcome to the forum....your typing will get better:laugh2:

Redfor

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
Fort Knox, KY area
Something else to keep in Mind is that the iPhones screen is pretty large... So... If you're constantly keeping that screen on your going to drain your battery faster. You might as well have been watching a movie.

Just something to keep in mind and welcome to the forums!

rbaron

Bronze
Jan 18, 2007
I know there are others here that reported battery problems and I also read the solutions to these problems but I still, even after reading other folks battery issues, am confused as to what causes it and how to fix it.

I charged my iPhone 3G all night. When I use it for the first time all is well. I go throughout my day using the iPhone normally. Few calls, check mail, click on the few app store thingy's I downloaded.

In the evening I go to see the baseball scores and the battery is reporting that it is only 10%. I do a reset and it still appears as 10%. Charged all night, next day same thing.

So, unless I have a bad iPhone battery there is something, some setting, that is draining my battery while it is in my pocket.

Others here report that doing a soft reset fixes the problem. I thought so too until the second day came and the battery is at the 10% mark.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

showguy

Silver
Dec 2, 2007
Long Island, NY
Here are some common things to be aware of:

1- Signal strength in particular when using 3g is a known issue. This will also happen on edge if the signal is low
2- Location tracker is a huge battery draw. Mine is set to off all the time unless an App cals for it. Than I shut it off when the app is done.
3- Wifi will draw your battery down. I only keep mine on when I am using it.
4- Keeping your phone plugged into to a USB port when the computer is off will also draw down the battery
5- Sometimes (a-lot) when the phone switches from 3g to edge it winds up in roam no-where-land. This is a big battery draw. Until Apple and ATT get their 3g issues solved I have chosen to get ripped off and not use 3g.
6- Certain apps are big battery draws. As I understand it they do not run in the background but make sure when you are done with them you hit the home button and return to the main screen.
7- The back light is a big draw. I set mine at half and auto.
8- Auto Lock- Keep it at the shortest setting. (1minute) there is no reason for the screen to stay lit if you are not using it.
9- Email: The frequency you have set to auto check mail is a draw on the battery

I am sure there are more, but these have been often documented.

nyc_rock

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
I found a settings sweet spot for maximum battery life.
-Wifi off when not using
-3g off when not using
-Location services off when not using
-Bluetooth on all day
-Email set to fetch every 15 minutes

With these settings I found that I could get a full day of usage without charge. And that is normal usage; phone calls, tests, web browsing and about 3 hours of ipod.

for the most part, 3g, for me at least, isn't necessary to keep on. Call quality over edge is fine and for most quick web browsing I also found it acceptable.

rbaron

Bronze
Jan 18, 2007
All good tips. But the shocking thing was the fact that it just started doing it. I don't remember changing any settings but maybe the basics you outlined above will help.

Thanks for answering......

nyc_rock

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
Check your usage (settings---general). If you usage time is very close to your stand bye time, and you have not been using the phone the entire time since you took it off the charger then something is wrong.

rbaron

Bronze
Jan 18, 2007
nyc_rock,

I'll check and see what it is.

Jul 30, 2008
I am experiencing a similar problem. My battery was great until yesterday. I have been doing all of the usual battery saving things with great results. Last night I charged my battery to a complete charge. I woke up this morning and got a low battery warning. Somehow the battery was drained during the night while the phone was off (on standby, no wifi, no location, no 3g, no nothing!).

showguy

Silver
Dec 2, 2007
Long Island, NY
Audio,

Make sure you do not have it plugged into a usb cable that is plugged into a computer that is "off" over night. The usb port on the computer that is off can reverse draw power. A lot of people keep their phones in a charging cradle or plugged into a computer that has been shut down. This is a common result of over night discharge.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I am experiencing a similar problem. My battery was great until yesterday. I have been doing all of the usual battery saving things with great results. Last night I charged my battery to a complete charge. I woke up this morning and got a low battery warning. Somehow the battery was drained during the night while the phone was off (on standby, no wifi, no location, no 3g, no nothing!).
I believe this could also happen if your usb cable isn't properly seated in the AC adaptor.

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
if you guys are jailbroken and have openssh installed make sure to go into bossprefs and TURN OFF SSH, that crap will drain your battery faster than a hooker can take off her panties.

dsuppa

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
New Jersey
www.dfsdesigns.com
So I got my 3gs yesterday, and I think I may have a faulty battery. The phone has been plugged in most of the day while I was playing with it, but still here we are at 3:20 and im all the way down to 40% already. It's been unplugged sine 11:30 and all Ive done with it is watch about 45 min of a movie.The phone is runnig 3.1 and jailbroken, do the 3rd party apps lead to faster battery drain possibly?
Should I bring this phone back and get a new one?