Battery problems on iOS 5.1.1

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Iloveiphones

Genius
Platinum
Aug 5, 2010
chatsocially.com
Ever since updating to 5.1.1 my battery life has been worse, averaging 4 1/2 hours with 5 1/4 hours on standby. Brightness is a little below half and wifi off. Should I see a genius? I have yet to try a restore.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida

owieh

Contributor
Bronze
Jul 15, 2010
Sheffield, UK
twitter.com
5.1.1 brought issues for me as well, it killed Siri on my device. Ended up restoring as new. So far, battery appears to be good, it lasts for quite a while even with music playing.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Offline, as in not connected to the Internet? I'm sure it's normal, as long as the battery depletion is not too much. The phone is still powered on, this consuming power.
I hate myself right now. I ment to say, "when the iPhone is OFF." Wednesday while in hospital over night, I would turn phone OFF to save power, and it'd still lose 2-3%.

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
I swear battery issues are 99% mental.
Easiest way to fix your battery issues is turn off the darn battery percentage. Stop obsessing over it. Guess what, hitting your home button to check your battery percentage uses your battery.
I would gladly give y'all that precious 2-3% back if it meant no more "iosx.x ruined my battery life" complaints.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
I swear battery issues are 99% mental.
Easiest way to fix your battery issues is turn off the darn battery percentage. Stop obsessing over it. Guess what, hitting your home button to check your battery percentage uses your battery.
I would gladly give y'all that precious 2-3% back if it meant no more "iosx.x ruined my battery life" complaints.
What I started noticing Wednesday night is that I lost percentage even when iPhone was OFF. Explain that one.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
What I started noticing Wednesday night is that I lost percentage even when iPhone was OFF. Explain that one.
2-3% overnight while OFF seems excessive!

But some battery drain is bound to occur even while the phone is off. If you turn a MacBook Air off (not sleep) and leave it off for a month, you wouldn't expect to see battery drain?

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
2-3% isn't actually that bad, in my opinion anyway. The power up/down cycle could have something to do with it or the percentage isn't as exact as we would like it to be. I personally turn the percentage off so I don't worry much about it.
Talking on the phone for me usually drains the most battery.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
I think for me it was up updating via OTA. Possibly it messed up some setting or the authentication tokens for Siri servers.

Although I have performed OTA updates since they became available (with no ill effects whatsoever), I'm starting to wonder. The osxdaily.com post I referenced above states that:

After rebooting several times and trying a handful of troubleshooting solutions, I discovered this to be a fairly common issue with users who updated iOS through on-device OTA updates, though there doesn’t seem to be much explanation as to the cause.
I'm certainly clueless as to the inner workings of delta vs. full iOS (or Mac OS X, for that matter) updating, but... The download sizes of delta updates are obviously much smaller than those of the real McCoy (no offense to delta updates). Nonetheless, after performing a delta update via OTA, the iPhone behaves exactly as it used to after downloading a full-size new version of iOS via iTunes, as far as I recall. It's not a stretch of the imagination that perhaps Apple hasn't perfected the art of weaving the code it downloads from a delta update with the already-present code in the iPhone's current on-board iOS. JUST my $0.02!

That said, I think I may just perform "traditional" iTunes updates to my iPhone's iOS from now on. iOS isn't updated every week, and it's worth it for the peace of mind.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
I'm talking about just in like 15-30 minutes while OFF.
If you turned the phone off/on several times while in the hospital, then maybe it was a combination of the power-up/-down cycles like owieh mentioned above plus the fact that you were in a hospital, which probably put extra stress on your iPhone's battery while it tried to get a good cellular signal while you had it on. Try the same power cycling at home if you're overly concerned (just to put your mind at ease).

Oct 26, 2010
I have awesome battery life on my 4 after the update to 5.1.1

Anyone else experience this or is it on my head. I can now go 2.5 days without a charge with my same usage as before... Which was pretty heavy

Most profitable update do far

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I have awesome battery life on my 4 after the update to 5.1.1

Anyone else experience this or is it on my head. I can now go 2.5 days without a charge with my same usage as before... Which was pretty heavy

Most profitable update do far
I haven't noticed it, but that's probably related to more to my usage patterns - I'm plugged in often, so battery life is tough for me to measure. I have seen quite a few comments in the circles I travel about people saying it's much improved. Figures, the update that doesn't say anything about battery fixes, actually does fix the battery.

Good to hear it's improved for you.

That guy

Nov 13, 2011
I have noticed a difference and am digging it! At the end of my day it would have normally be at 30 percent, but after 5.1.1 it's at about 80-90.