Battery recharges - do partials count 300-400?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

nomowindo

Jul 6, 2007
The Apple documentation refers to 300 - 400 full charge cycles as an estimate. I suspect many will charge after only discharging 50% or so. Does anyone have any idea about the relative impact on battery life? Note that lithium ion batteries do not suffer from the "memory problems" of the older NiCad type.

Nomo

Standog

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Considering this phone starts charging anytime you dock it or connect to usb, I'd say no.
I'd say yes. I was in the store today buying a case (incase leather, very nice), but he was saying that people are overcharging it. The tendency is to want it to stay at or near full, but that is harder on the battery, than running it down and recharging it at night. I started to resist the urge to charge it all the time. 2nd full day and I've barely gotten under about 65% with heavy usage.

applefreak

Bronze
Jun 24, 2007
Winter Park FL
My point was that you can't choose when to charge the phone with normal use. You sync it or dock it with an ipod radio, etc, it starts charging. The phone doesn't use a rechargeable ni-cad battery and need to be discharged after every charge. Do the math. If I connect my phone 3 times a day to various sources and every time counted as one charge, the phone battery would last 4.4 months. Common sense dictates a partial charge doesn't equate to a full charge.

If Apple is targeting 2 year replacement then that means it is counting full charges. Saying otherwise is useless conjecture that no one will have an answer for until at least 6 months down the line, let alone a week after launch.

jbaraga

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
www.baraga.me
I'd say yes. I was in the store today buying a case (incase leather, very nice), but he was saying that people are overcharging it. The tendency is to want it to stay at or near full, but that is harder on the battery, than running it down and recharging it at night. I started to resist the urge to charge it all the time. 2nd full day and I've barely gotten under about 65% with heavy usage.
That guy was completely off base.

Do the research. Lithium batteries wear out faster the more they are discharged. There was a great link posted here the other day that did a nice job of explaining lithium battery technology. It seems like everyone has a different theory for keeping their battery healthy, but there are right & wrong ways. I'll see if I can find the link, or maybe someone else knows what I'm talking about.

jbaraga

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
www.baraga.me
Here's that link:

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm

...and here's an exerpt:

"A lithium-ion battery provides 300-500 discharge/charge cycles. The battery prefers a partial rather than a full discharge. Frequent full discharges should be avoided when possible. Instead, charge the battery more often or use a larger battery. There is no concern of memory when applying unscheduled charges."

The article goes on to recommend a full discharge & recharge only once every 30 charges. This pretty much directly contradicts what the guy in the store said.

J-Sauce

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
Here's that link:

...and here's an exerpt:

"A lithium-ion battery provides 300-500 discharge/charge cycles. The battery prefers a partial rather than a full discharge. Frequent full discharges should be avoided when possible. Instead, charge the battery more often or use a larger battery. There is no concern of memory when applying unscheduled charges."

The article goes on to recommend a full discharge & recharge only once every 30 charges. This pretty much directly contradicts what the guy in the store said.
Great information Jbaraga. You just helped more people prolong the life of their phones than you probably know. And without completely bashing the person who contradicted you:bow:

Conan

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
Here's that link:

...and here's an exerpt:

Thanks for sharing, I was wondering as well... I was thinking frequent charges shorten the life, but that clarified it for me. Merci

Sleeper

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
Great site that one. Worth pointing out that whilst short charge cycles will prolong the life of the battery it's not as simple as multiplying the charge cycle factor though as Li-ion batteries decay based on temperature as well as state of charge.

The iPhone battery, like other Li-ion products, should last 2-3 years if care is taken.

tfg

Jun 20, 2007
I've read all of the conflicting things on battery life and etc. and I'm just going by the most basic pricipal of them all. Charging when I need to. More specifically when I notice the battery down below 1/2, I start monitoring and charge when I think I may not get through the next full day.

I'm not a "heavy" user, except for the ipod some days, and I don't really surf on safari or anything. If I go on, it's just to check something and then I'm off. I've been getting 2+ days at least between charges. I usually charge when it's down to about 1/3 battery or so. I've only let it get down to 5 or 10% once and that was the first couple days I had it.

Since I turned the auto brightness off, I'm getting much better battery life. Common sense seems to tell me that it's not good to let it run down empty every time, but keeping it at a full charge all the time probably isn't good either. I definitely don't charge every night, but probably would need to if I used it more.

cj sparrow

Bronze
Jul 24, 2007
Colorado
No, it doesn't

According to an Apple technical rep I know, "No" a partial charge only counts as a partial full-cycle charge. As pointed out, if your battery is 50% discharged when you begin recharging it, then this only counts as a 1/2 charge cycle.

Also, even after 300-400 complete charge cycles, the battery should still hold 80% of its full charge. Far from being unusable. This is the same effect I have consistently seen on my iPods over the years. In fact, I have some older iPods that I still occasionally use whose batteries don't last quite as long, but are still very usable.

And, guess what? By the time you need to send your phone back to Apple to get a replacement battery, you will probably already have bought that next generation of iPhone.

Don't worry. Just enjoy.

cj sparrow