Battery replacement program from Apple

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I had the battery replaced this past Saturday and I will be selling my 5 on Craig's List once I get the 6 (or 6+) and want to include the new battery in the ad, but how can someone confirm if the battery was replaced?
I would just include a photo of the receipt. Otherwise, they can verify it through Apple with the serial number.
Maybe with the serial number? Or it'll be in the system of Apple.

Be careful selling on craigslist. I almost just got screwed. A guy named Kane Alex and or Alex Kane. It sounded legit, but then he said he won't negotiate. He'll pay me what I want and can get on eBay. $400 + $20 shipping. What was funny was I said no paypal and I can't ship until after I get the new iPhone. A few emails later I asked and he said he will pay via paypal after I send him my email for PayPal, and then once I see payment cleared (which I guess he'll hope I think it will clear) he wants me to ship it tomorrow. And according to him he couldn't meet me as he's busy with work, so he wanted me to send him photos, which would have been hard as it's tough taking the case off for me. Then after all that I emailed him saying that I told him no PayPal and I can't ship until I get new iPhone. Then I said scammer. Goodbye. Since then no response. Oh also the phone would be for his daughter. The address he gave me was in Kentucky.
You have to use some common sense when selling on Craigslist. Only sell locally and meet in a public place.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
You have to use some common sense when selling on Craigslist. Only sell locally and meet in a public place.
Yep, you're right. But continuing the email and figuring out that it was a scam was fun to do. :p

I put good information on listing, I also put my area obviously. Craigslist is meant for cash sales, and to meet in person. Not paypal etc.

Oct 24, 2010
Denver, CO
I would just include a photo of the receipt. Otherwise, they can verify it through Apple with the serial number.
They didn't give me a receipt for the battery replacement, but I did sign on their iPad when I gave them my phone for the battery replacement. I checked the website that verified the battery replacement and it doesn't confirm that the battery was replaced, only that it is eligible. I'll direct them to Apple support for verification like you suggested. Thank you :)

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Yep, you're right. But continuing the email and figuring out that it was a scam was fun to do. :p

I put good information on listing, I also put my area obviously. Craigslist is meant for cash sales, and to meet in person. Not paypal etc.
It's a waste of time. Just ignore the scammers. They are pretty easy to spot. They either want you to ship it, don't speak English well, or ask stupid questions such as "Tell me condition is it scratches I want to buy for my son in Cambodia."

Oct 24, 2010
Denver, CO
Maybe with the serial number? Or it'll be in the system of Apple.

Be careful selling on craigslist. I almost just got screwed. A guy named Kane Alex and or Alex Kane. It sounded legit, but then he said he won't negotiate. He'll pay me what I want and can get on eBay. $400 + $20 shipping. What was funny was I said no paypal and I can't ship until after I get the new iPhone. A few emails later I asked and he said he will pay via paypal after I send him my email for PayPal, and then once I see payment cleared (which I guess he'll hope I think it will clear) he wants me to ship it tomorrow. And according to him he couldn't meet me as he's busy with work, so he wanted me to send him photos, which would have been hard as it's tough taking the case off for me. Then after all that I emailed him saying that I told him no PayPal and I can't ship until I get new iPhone. Then I said scammer. Goodbye. Since then no response. Oh also the phone would be for his daughter. The address he gave me was in Kentucky.
I may post the Craig's List ad this weekend and meet at the Apple Store in the mall next week before the release so they can verify the battery was replaced and avoid the craziness of the release on the 19th.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
It's a waste of time. Just ignore the scammers. They are pretty easy to spot. They either want you to ship it, don't speak English well, or ask stupid questions such as "Tell me condition is it scratches I want to buy for my son in Cambodia."
You're right, but this was one that wasn't easily spotted as a scam for a little bit. Scammers are pretty good at making it seem real. But then they mentioned things I already said NO to, so yeah.

I may post the Craig's List ad this weekend and meet at the Apple Store in the mall next week before the release so they can verify the battery was replaced and avoid the craziness of the release on the 19th.
That would be good, and a nice location to meet where people are around. I have done two sales on craigslist. It will always be nerve wrecking to me meeting a stranger in person even if it is in a good location.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
You're right, but this was one that wasn't easily spotted as a scam for a little bit. Scammers are pretty good at making it seem real. But then they mentioned things I already said NO to, so yeah.
You'll learn how to spot them faster and easier. There were multiple red flags there.

koko

Aug 30, 2014
replaced my battery on Sun, now the new battery makes a big difference

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey

That would be good, and a nice location to meet where people are around. I have done two sales on craigslist. It will always be nerve wrecking to me meeting a stranger in person even if it is in a good location.
I met one seller at Home Depot. Didn't buy it. Than another at a 7-11. She came with her bf. She bought it. No hits yet from Craigslist for my 5.

glsda

Zealot
Gold
Oct 17, 2007
California
From Apple:
Apple has determined that a very small percentage of iPhone 5 devices may suddenly experience shorter battery life or need to be charged more frequently. The affected iPhone 5 devices were sold between September 2012 and January 2013 and fall within a limited serial number range.

If your iPhone 5 is experiencing these symptoms and meets the eligibility requirements noted below, Apple will replace your iPhone 5 battery, free of charge.

https://ssl.apple.com/support/iphone5-battery/
This is why I love EIC. Got a problem find out how to solve it here. Thank you. My battery had been driving me crazy lately. It's eligable for the program.