Battery replacement question

Discussion in 'iPhone 3GS' started by rbdaves, Jul 24, 2014.

1. rbdaves

rbdaves New Member

When I replaced the battery in my wife's iPhone, I removed 7 screws to get the circuit board out. There were six screws plus one screw that had a piece of tape over it that said "do not remove". In the process of lifting this piece of tape, I destroyed it. I reassembled the phone without putting anything in place of this label.
    I replaced the battery because it wouldn't hold a charge. I purchased the new battery online.

2. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Hello. What exactly is your question? Anything tech fixing for me, I will usually take it to someone like best buy or another authorized place.

If your question is regarding holding charge, I can tell you that I have a friend currently who is experiencing that. Their iPhone was at 100% when they left in the morning. She put it in a drawer at work and later when she went to get it, it was dead.

3. rbdaves

rbdaves New Member

I removed a label that said "do not remove" that was covering one of the screws holding the circuit board in place. I then removed the circuit board and put in a new battery. Then I replaced the circuit board and closed the phone up. The phone is working fine and it is charging up to 100% when I plug it into the charging cube, but not holding the charge. I followed directions that I found on the net.
    The question is: I did not replace this piece of tape that says "do not remove" and am wondering if this has anything to do with the battery not holding a charge? It is possible that this battery is defective. Just wondering.

4. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Interesting. The accepted answer on here says it's just a warranty sticker, but I'll read other answers.

https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/7652/The+little+black+%22DO+NOT+REMOVE%22+sticker

5. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

It's just a tamper sticker so an Apple repair center knows if someone has been inside, changed parts, etc... This voiding any warranty.
    It has nothing to do with a battery not holding a charge.

6. rbdaves

rbdaves New Member

The only conclusion I can make here is that this battery won't hold a charge. I think I'll order a new one and start over. Thanks for the help.

7. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I have read that the next iOS update will also fix any battery drainage issues. This update is 7.1.3.

8. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

How fast does the battery drain down? And what all do you do on your phone?

9. rbdaves

rbdaves New Member

Today, one text and one phone call, no other usage. Took it off charger in am and it was flat by evening.

10. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Honestly, that's not terrible. I usually can go 7-8 hours on a charge and then I need to recharge. Also the iPhone % is not always accurate. Sometimes my iPhone dies at 20-40%. Crazy but as I said it's not always accurate.

11. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

6-8 hours of use is right on the money for the iPhone.

12. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Do you have your iPhone set to lock after a few minutes? If not then leaving the screen on will cause it to drain.

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

How long was the phone call? How is your signal strength?

14. rbdaves

rbdaves New Member

phone call was short. I noticed that Bluetooth and WiFi were on and turned them off. Will monitor tomorrow and report back

15. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I believe Bluetooth being on will continue to look for devices. Being on wifi is actually better then LTE. Do keep us informed. :)

16. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

How is your signal strength? If it is fine, your new battery is likely bad. A restore might help improve the battery life. Try that before replacing the battery.

You should not have a full charge drain to zero with one text, one short phone call and several hours of standby. However, poor signal strength can zap it. Leaving Bluetooth and WiFi on at all times will not drain the battery. Disabling them is unnecessary. I've left Bluetooth and WiFi on 24/7 for years and my battery life is fine. Many people assume leaving Bluetooth on has a significant impact on the battery, but it is actually negligible.

17. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Why turn wifi off? Do you have plenty of cellular data on your carrier plan?

18. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

Do a search on this forum and/or Google for iPhone battery life. You will find plenty of tips and tricks to improve battery life, some useful, some not so useful. The two things that helped me the most were setting the phone to go into Autolock mode after 1 minute of inactivity (Settings/General/Autolock) and to turn on Auto-Brightness and set the slider to the lowest level needed to easily read the screen in a moderately lit room. Auto-Brightness will automatically adjust the brightness to the lowest level needed in most lighting situations after that. You may need to tweak it occasionally by sweeping up from the bottom of the screen and resetting the brightness slider to a better level for the current lighting level, but that isn't required very often. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

19. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

He thought WiFi was draining the battery. It doesn't. It's either a bad battery, poor signal or it needs to be restored.