Battery Saver

Discussion in 'iPhone Apps and Games' started by silvermoon, Jan 10, 2014.

1. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

I used this app a lot when I had a 4S. Has anyone also tried it? There are other similar apps in the same category such as Battery Doctor and Battery Magic. The feature that I was drawn to with these apps is that you are shown how long until the battery is fully charged. I got to thinking to myself though if the app is really necessary considering that battery functions would be handled by the Operating System. So is having one of these apps a good way to effectively manage your battery?

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I've always been able to manage my battery without the use of battery doctor apps.

3. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I use an app called System Utilities. It shows more than just the battery charge thing. But with the battery charge, I like that it notifies me with a bell ding when the charge reaches 100%, then again when it's completely full. But I only use it when I do a calibration charge starting down at 0% or so.

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I try to just use the phone and not fixate on the battery or other stats that I don't care about. I can look at the percentage in the status bar when I want.

5. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

I am not too fixated on the battery. It is nice to have an audible sound when the phone is fully charged. I just wonder what kind of strain one of the apps might have on the battery. I think that some sort of indicator for when the battery is charged should be a part of iOS.

6. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I agree. My old dumb flip phones had a pilot light that would go from red to green when charged. An alert sound would be great on idevices to let us know when it's fully charged.

7. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I try to resist these things because I've been on Android side and a lot of their users seem obsessed with things like battery monitors, bulk app closers, and app activity monitors. I'd like to enjoy my phone, not waste my time monitoring it for power consumption. If the battery gets low, I charge it. Simple as that.

8. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I'm not concerned with battery consumption, as my 5 seems to do well. But I do like to be alerted when it's fully charged, so I can continue my addiction. I only use it for the start at 1% charging, as I don't use my phone during that. Once or twice a month.

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

What's the purpose of that? Battery maintenance and diagnostics? It seems like a waste of time to me. I just use an external battery charger when I want to charge and use the phone at the same time.

10. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

None really. I always believed the maintenance claim by these apps was to sucker users into downloading the apps. The diagnostic info is just there. I've seen it and it doesn't change or tell me anything. I guess I just like the bell that dings when it's charged. Not sure why.

11. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

12. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

Does the junk cleaner and memory reallocation in this app rely work? If so, Apple is allowing a third party app to do this? And, if not, why is Apple allowing it?

I installed initially from the App Store but also found one in Cydia and installed that one. I wonder if that one really does what the other should do?

I'm on an iPhone 5 running iOS 7.0.4 jailbroken and have almost one reboot per day. Sometimes to safe mode and sometimes not. It shows up as a LowMemory crash. I don't want to restore and lose my jailbreak.

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You'll get the same results with clearing your Safari cache and rebooting. Saving a megabyte or two isn't really worth having to put your passwords back in. That space will get taken again as soon as you do. I would just reboot daily.

14. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

I'm not using iCleaner. I don't have to put my passwords back every time I clear junk and reallocate my memory.

I'll just reboot daily unless it does it for me. I went two days without a reboot.

15. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

In that case, it's not doing anything a reboot wouldn't do. "reallocating memory" on an iPhone is a waste of time. Just continue to reboot daily.