Battery says reads 100 percent after full day of use?

Dec 27, 2007
My iPhone works great, but yesterday I used it a ton and after the whole day's use of like 7 or 8 hours, the battery meter still said it had a full battery. Then in the middle of the night, the battery died bc I had used it all up. Same thing today, haven't used it nearly as much, but it still reads 100 percent. How do I fix this?

Dec 27, 2007
No actually the battery is fine and works fine. Its just that the battery meter isn't working properly. After using it for the whole day it still shows full battery in the meter. Would resetting it work? Also, when u reset the phone do you lose the info that is all stored in it?

petalmom

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
You could try resetting it by holding the sleep/wake (on the top) and the home buttons until it turns off. You will not loose any data stored on the phone and actually, it's not a bad idea to do it from time to time anyway.

Good luck and let us know if it resolves your problem.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Power it completely down first. Most people only put the phone to sleep. Hold the lock button until you get the "Slide to Power Down" message and then shut the phone completely down. Usually, this will solve most quirky issues like this.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
technically, I suggest a hard reboot at least once a week, and if mod'd, after any new software install.
Just good practice to keep everything running properly.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
technically, I suggest a hard reboot at least once a week, and if mod'd, after any new software install.
Just good practice to keep everything running properly.
I agree. I shut mine down completely at least once/week.

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
I posted elsewhere about "battery 101", but here's a quick summary.

The iPhone uses a lithium ion battery that doesn't work with a traditional battery meter (which measures voltage and shows "empty" when the battery is at a voltage cutoff below which the device can't run).

The reason for this is that a lithium ion battery maintains it's voltage throughout until just before it has exhausted it's capacity - at which point it nose-dives.

So in devices designed to be powered by lithium-type batteries, the battery meter typically resorts to using TIME (and, in some cases, actual current consumption) to estimate the level of charge. This can get out of whack in a few ways (in general, not necessarily with the iPhone) - by not completely recharging, by rebooting when not fully charged (some "meters" reset on reboot), or with a battery that can't hold a full charge anymore.

I would suggest using the phone a bit (to get the charge level a little below full), then rebooting it, then recharging it completely. That should get you back in synch, assuming that you're out of synch at the moment.