Battery swelled on iPhone and back came off

ed2438

Contributor
Bronze
Apr 9, 2010
El Paso, TX
I was at work today and took my iPhone out of my pocket to see this. I was shocked at what happened. When I took my phone to the genius bar, they were shocked as well and replaced it. Apparently the battery started to swell and popped the back off of my phone.

Sent from my White iPhone 4S using iCafe app

Attachments

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Interesting. Had it ever been dropped prior to that? Did it still work okay?

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I was at work today and took my iPhone out of my pocket to see this. I was shocked at what happened. When I took my phone to the genius bar, they were shocked as well and replaced it. Apparently the battery started to swell and popped the back off of my phone.

Wow. Is that an iPhone 4S? Potentially that could have been dangerous.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Lithium-ion Polymer batteries are potentially dangerous. Generally, this type of thing happens after a drop that damages the structural integrity of the battery, but expansions and even explosions can happen spontaneously.

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
Thad why I asked if there was trauma. Had to be caused from something IMO.

ed2438

Contributor
Bronze
Apr 9, 2010
El Paso, TX
Never dropped before. Did feel a little hot and functioned just fine. They said it was rare. and yes, it was my pre-ordered 4s. :(

ed2438

Contributor
Bronze
Apr 9, 2010
El Paso, TX
At least they replaced it.
I was hesitant in telling the guy how I noticed because it sounds made up. He said he had heard stranger things.

Jmbaker429

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 28, 2010
Florida
I was hesitant in telling the guy how I noticed because it sounds made up. He said he had heard stranger things.

that's the good thing about Apple. They have always been great about customer service and helping us out.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Thad why I asked if there was trauma. Had to be caused from something IMO.
Oh, I know. That wasn't a reply to you. It was just a general statement. I think they occasionally do this spontaneously, though. I've heard of a couple cases. But you're right, it's usually after some sort of damage.

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
Oh, I know. That wasn't a reply to you. It was just a general statement. I think they occasionally do this spontaneously, though. I've heard of a couple cases. But you're right, it's usually after some sort of damage.
All good!

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida

Yowza! Wonder what would've occurred had you had a tight-fitting case on it that didn't allow it to... expand. LOL. Glad you got a new one without pain!

Sent from my alphanumeric pager.

Adriano73

Contributor
Bronze
Jan 17, 2012
UK
Yeah, you see some strange stuff! May start a thread on strange iPhone damage. I'll post a shot of my wife's iPhone 4. She dropped it and the glass didn't break but, get this, the metal of the case bent. It still works perfectly so she just lives with it.

Sent from my White 64gb iPhone 4s in a white Lifeproof Case using iCafe app