Battery usage question (and tip!)

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
First, the tip:

"Battery Usage has a new hidden feature. When you tap on the detail view icon, it displays the amount of on-screen time and background time for each app or process. It can be quite helpful in figuring out which apps are draining battery life."

ios-9-settings-battery-usage.jpg
(That was tip #2 from this article.)

Now for my question:

Under Settings > Battery, what does it mean when one of the apps has the word "Audio" underneath it? I never saw this in iOS 8. I would be tempted to think the obvious: that that app has used audio. But in my case, I have at least one other app that used audio, yet it wasn't labeled that way:

IMG_0019.PNG

So, perhaps it means that that app used "a lot of audio"?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
None of mine indicate audio, not even the music app. Is Galaga your only one?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Yep, I just checked, and that's the only one.
It could be something to do with the coding of the app - similar to the sizing problem you had in the settings screen for one of your apps.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
It could be something to do with the coding of the app - similar to the sizing problem you had in the settings screen for one of your apps.
Probably. I guess it'll be revealed eventually. iOS 9 is still pretty new and people are still discovering its intricacies.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I get the audio message under Music, phone, and camera. I'm guessing it's only listed there if iOS determines audio (playback or recording) is using a significant portion of energy from that app.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I get the audio message under Music, phone, and camera. I'm guessing it's only listed there if iOS determines audio (playback or recording) is using a significant portion of energy from that app.
Weird that it wouldn't show audio under my music app if that's the case. Almost 100% of my music app usage is audio-only. I use Siri to start the music and don't even open the app.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Weird that it wouldn't show audio under my music app if that's the case. Almost 100% of my music app usage is audio-only. I use Siri to start the music and don't even open the app.
You were listening to your music app with or without plugging in headphones/earphones? I wonder if that has something to do with it. (More power if phone's speaker is used?)

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
You were listening to your music app with or without plugging in headphones/earphones? I wonder if that has something to do with it. (More power if phone's speaker is used?)
Mainly using EarPods when I'm riding my bike and the car's speakers (via USB connection) when driving, but occasionally through the iPhone's speaker.

Nrevezzo

Bronze
Apr 15, 2009
Canton, Mi
I see the audio designation for the Flipboard app. I don't recall playing any audio content in Flipboard.