Battery?

HUNTER1

Bronze
May 28, 2009
My battery has been very good. I normally use it down to 70% a day and charge it everyday for couple of hours or so to get it to 100%. Is this a good battery charging maintenance or should I get it down to certain percentage before charging it? Also, how long the battery should last before it starts to weaken? I only have the one year warranty that comes with it, thanks

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
My battery has been very good. I normally use it down to 70% a day and charge it everyday for couple of hours or so to get it to 100%. Is this a good battery charging maintenance or should I get it down to certain percentage before charging it? Also, how long the battery should last before it starts to weaken? I only have the one year warranty that comes with it, thanks
the battery is fine for about 400 charges of 0-100%. If you have used 30% of the battery and then charge it back to 100%, then you have only used 1/3rd of 1 charge. to get through 400 cycles, it's going to take either a ton of usage, or over2 years.
After about 400 full cycles, the battery will weaken to about 80% of it's original capacity. At that point, even out of warranty, you can have Apple replace the battery for $79, or send it to iPodjuice.com and have them install one of their batteries that they warranty for 10 YEARS! Up to you.

bass_lover1

Bronze
Aug 19, 2008
About once a month it is recommended to fully drain a Lithium-Ion type battery. What this does is recalibrate the battery's actual life to the user gauge. Which reminds me, it's about time I do that.

HUNTER1

Bronze
May 28, 2009
Like using the battery down to maybe 10% or less then charge it?

HUNTER1

Bronze
May 28, 2009
I should do that then at the end of the month, thanks

HUNTER1

Bronze
May 28, 2009
One more thing. Do you need to reboot first by holding the home and power button before draining the battery out? Or just straight out drain the battery?

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
First, holding the home and power button is not a reboot, but a HARD RESET- technically not a good thing for your phone unless it becomes unresponsive. Rebooting is holding the sleep/wake button till you get the power off slider, and after it completes shutting down, press the button again to power the phone on.
no, you don't have to reboot the phone before draining it.

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
Im wondering if those 400 cycles never get reached will the battery last indefinitely? Such as using an external battery case like the Juicepack, and simply running the iPhone off its power all the time.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Im wondering if those 400 cycles never get reached will the battery last indefinitely? Such as using an external battery case like the Juicepack, and simply running the iPhone off its power all the time.
As far as I know, there is no battery pack out there that will run the phone and NOT charge it at the same time. Besides, with a lithium polymer battery, it needs to have a constant flow of electrons to keep it in proper working order, otherwise you can damage it.
For example, say you got a new iPhone and you threw the old one in a drawer powered off. When you take it out a month later, battery life is going to suck and continue to suck because the flow of electrons had stopped. It's as damaging as cold.

Heat it temporarily bad, but cold is damaging.

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
Your explanation Hawk makes sense to me, my thinking was though if the iPhones battery is never allowed to discharge, and always in a charging state, wouldn't the electrons still be flowing due to the contstant incoming of fresh electrons and thus the battery last indefinitely?

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Your explanation Hawk makes sense to me, my thinking was though if the iPhones battery is never allowed to discharge, and always in a charging state, wouldn't the electrons still be flowing due to the contstant incoming of fresh electrons and thus the battery last indefinitely?
unfortunately, it's still a no answer. the flow of electrons is from a chemical reaction, and eventually even though it can accept and store a charge, the chemical reaction will have an "end-point" where the reaction finally stops.

mayniak

Bronze
Aug 30, 2009
miami
well i learned a couple things today. would it be ok if the iPhone drains out all the way while your on the road and away from a charger. it damages the battery i assume

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
well i learned a couple things today. would it be ok if the iPhone drains out all the way while your on the road and away from a charger. it damages the battery i assume
Yes and no. Apple recommends running the battery down to nothing every month or so. I do it less frequently. It's to recalibrate the hardware for reading available power, it does nothing for the actual battery, but if it happens frequently, it can do more harm than good.

mayniak

Bronze
Aug 30, 2009
miami
oh ok i understand you. im on my 2nd 3G because of a battery issue. i been reading up on some ways to make it better and since i got this one its kinda different but i don't know if its because the battery is actually good or if im doing the right stuff to it