BBC iPlayer comes to the iPhone

hpuk

Bronze
Jan 2, 2008
London
If you enjoy the BBC, you'll be happy to see that a new BBC iPlayer is coming to the iPhone. You can have a look here.

The iPhone and iPod touch are able to stream shows from the iPlayer website over wi-fi networks. The iPhone cannot stream BBC video over the cell network. A BBC developer said that the corporation was currently working on other versions of the iPlayer for "many more" devices.

Last edited by a moderator:

aaronsiphone

Bronze
Dec 28, 2007
I cant wait, that will be amazing! I cant see it being as easy as BBC are making out! do you think it will come within the SDK or not as they state that it will be availible next month sometime

TonyTHT

Bronze
Feb 6, 2008
Cheshire, UK
I've tried it - it works !
Just go to the website and search for what you want and click play.

Takes forever though, even on wifi (won't work at all on EDGE).

T

aaronsiphone

Bronze
Dec 28, 2007
what link are you going to to watch vids?

aaronsiphone

Bronze
Dec 28, 2007
got it..............amazing, it streams pretty quick if you leave it to buffer up for 5 mins! watching two pint at the mo! janet up front.............

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
This looks like it should be awesome. Sadly, it is UK only right now for all the TV programme content. They are working on international version to change that, no timeframe yet.

Bummer for us non-UK folks ...

aaronsiphone

Bronze
Dec 28, 2007
patrickj im sure you could try it, i can see why it wouldn't wok for you guys across the pond just go to www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer and the video streams direct to iPhone no download required! then you'll be able to catch up with the current Eastenders (if its on there and you watch it) I had an American friend and he told me he was still watching Dirty Den!

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
patrickj im sure you could try it, i can see why it wouldn't wok for you guys across the pond just go to www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer and the video streams direct to iPhone no download required! then you'll be able to catch up with the current Eastenders (if its on there and you watch it) I had an American friend and he told me he was still watching Dirty Den!
I've tried, even though I had already read about the UK-only restriction. Read here for BBC's explanation of why this restriction in place.

Top Gear would be my favorite thing to watch, once they get past the UK-only part ...

aaronsiphone

Bronze
Dec 28, 2007
owww thats a shame, clever how it works though, im sure someone will find away around it

aeayk

Feb 23, 2008
the service of watching the video in BBC player is available to UK resident's only......... :(

scudder

Bronze
Mar 4, 2008
Edinburgh
dam it. I am in the UK, I have parental controls off, but cannot watch anything with guidance... even Torchwood! Now I am on 1.1.4 JB and unlocked, everything else works, any other type of programme works. Anything with PG just simply wont work. have even tried a clean install of everything on the iPhone and I am not going through that again. My partner's 1.1.3 works perfectly with PG stuff Aaargh!
Anyone have any ideas?

scudder

Bronze
Mar 4, 2008
Edinburgh
OK Folks. Tried iplayer on 1.1.3 and no prbs. Went to 1.1.4 yesterday, any programme with parental guidance was no go, even after checking over 16, etc. and making sure PG was off. Tried reloading 1.1.4 again as a clean start and again, no go for anything PG. Went back to 1.1.3 (after much feckin about I can tell you) and hey presto, Iplayer is working perfectly. obviously this could be a spurious problem only I had, but partner has been on 1.1.3 and never had a problem, so i would suggest if you try .4 and have issues go back again. One of the bug fixes could be a prelim to the 2.0 PG controls Apple intend to include in next release. Shame because I like being up to date, and shame i had to go through 3 restores to get back to where I was so for me 1.1.4 is not worth it...

aaronsiphone

Bronze
Dec 28, 2007
ive never had a problem with iplayer and im on 1.1.4 ive never even heard of parental controls.......how can the phone tell how old you are?

scudder

Bronze
Mar 4, 2008
Edinburgh
ive never had a problem with iplayer and im on 1.1.4 ive never even heard of parental controls.......how can the phone tell how old you are?
It counts the rings in your trunk of course!
Strange u have no probs with it, even after clean install and no packages installed it kept coming up with a PG screen. I don't understand why, but then I have that problem with a lot of stuff :oops: