Be honest, how do you feel about your iPhone 3G?

SuperDave

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
As a V1 user from day one, I have mixed feelings about my iPhone. I was wondering how everyone else feels about their new iPhone 3G after a few days of owning one. I'm interested to hear from both ends, those who have never had an iPhone and those who upgraded. Pros, cons, indifferences, everything. However, be honest.

For me and my V1, I don't like the service or the fact that I get dropped calls a lot. It has, however, helped me find locations, get through boring classes and jury duty, and impressed tons of people.

Thanks!

BigCiX

Zealot
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Bakersfield, CA
well this is my first iPhone so i can't compare it to the 1gen. so far i like the 3g version.

muckymucky

Bronze
Aug 19, 2007
aye Bay~Bay~

Grabbed the White 16GB model on Friday after a 7 hour line:

The phone is sexy (even tho its wrapped atm with saran wrap until the invisibleshield arrives)

The 3G coverage works full bars in areas where you need it: i.e. at the mall, amusement parks (Great America), the City, on Campus, the bigger Freeways

the app store is amazingly simple but i just wish the bugged apps would update themselves

GPS is fun to use with all the other apps like social networking app: Loopt, the camera's geotagging, having your little cousin watching your pin move on google maps while you took your distraction away by distracting it, etc.

overall, im 100% satisfied with the new 3G because i've waited for a 3G and GPS version of the iPhone even before V1 hit the stores.

The Battery feels not much different but even if your using it more and 3G sucks more out of it, 50% im next to a computer/laptop so i can just plug it into the USB.

waiting for that invisibleshield to come in and Uni (college) to start back up and this phone will be even more awesome~

hope this tells you my full experience of the phone so far.

p.s. and the "OMG U GOT THE NEW 12 HOUR-LINE WAIT iPhone!?!?! OMGG" responses are really satisfying.

love,
rey

Denny Crane

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
Alabama
As a V1 user from day one, I have mixed feelings about my iPhone. I was wondering how everyone else feels about their new iPhone 3G after a few days of owning one. I'm interested to hear from both ends, those who have never had an iPhone and those who upgraded. Pros, cons, indifferences, everything. However, be honest.

For me and my V1, I don't like the service or the fact that I get dropped calls a lot. It has, however, helped me find locations, get through boring classes and jury duty, and impressed tons of people.

Thanks!
I find the call quality to be better on the 3G than it was on version 1. The majority of stuff people complain about like the battery drain are things that I knew about going in. I had a 3G Treo 750 before I purchased the previous iPhone. It went through battery life like crazy. Therefore, I knew what I was getting into with this one.

I find this one easier to hold. The first iPhone was very slippery with the smooth metal back. I'm not terribly fond of all the fingerprints the black 3G picks up, but, again, I figured that would be the case after seeing the pictures prior to launch.

Overall, I think it is a big step up for folks that had a regular cell phone previously. For someone that had the first iPhone, not so much.

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
3G, GPS, and the new plastic back makes $300 well worth it.

I am very happy compared to the V1 release.

BigCiX

Zealot
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Bakersfield, CA
i was worried about the battery but after today i feel much better. lastnight i ran my iPhone until the battery died complete. charged it overnight and changed my setting before taking it off the charger about 8:30 this morning. Here's what i did different:

- 3G was off except when i browsed the net (browsed for about 10 mins today)
- Push was hourly
- Auto brightness was set to off
- Wi-fi off
- BlueTooth off
- Location on

As if 9:52pm i currently have about 45% of my battery life left. Did about 10-15 minutes of talk time. Sent about 5 emails, received about 10 and sent off 8 text messages. Much better after switching 3G off and completely draining the battery.

Romanesq

Bronze
Jul 11, 2007
I love it more than my original iPhone. 3G rocks and I will not turn it off. It does not cause audio interference on my desk near my Audioengine speakers, nor does it buzz in my car with the CD or radio on. That's because it's not on 2g.

And the quality of voice is so much better with 3G. That was a compromise I gave up when I came from T-mobile. Now it's all good.

Frankly, this phone rules even without the next 1,000 apps that will be coming.

sonicwind

Bronze
May 12, 2008
One word: IT'S F#@K1N@ AWESOME!

Yeah, there are some things that could be better. But the things that it is are just great. Still hands down better than any other "advanced feature" phone. Actually, the lack of 3G made it unacceptable before. Any stability or battery problems will get worked out shortly with a firmware upgrade. But seriously, all 3G phones currently have battery problems. I've been using them since they came out. The little Blackjack was so bad that it came with 2 batteries and it has a tiny, no touch screen.

But, if you haven't got one by now, you won't be getting one any time soon, because they're all sold out and it takes 3 months to manufacture more.

nobopyon

Bronze
Jul 11, 2008
Dallas, TX
But, if you haven't got one by now, you won't be getting one any time soon, because they're all sold out and it takes 3 months to manufacture more.
Unless you live in dallas area, looks like Apple store still have some availability, just checked online since my friend was asking me where to go get it.

I love love love my 3G iPhone.
I, myself, also new to iPhone by my choice.
I didn't get first one simply I knew I wanted 3G network, and knew 3G iPhone will come out... (yes, it was a looong wait...till they came out...but finally!).

Battery drainage problem?! doesn't really bother me too much, just keep charging it.
If you drive and want to use GPS, then use car charger like you would on other GPS unit.
If you travel, then bring with extended charger for emergency, but it's not too hard to find outlet to charge it anyhow...

For my daily use, so far, I haven't drained out completely yet, because at work I just simply plug into my computer..

There is a few lag or bug I noticed, but it's just came out and for sure, it will get improved with more updates...

ejmonkey3

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
i was pretty on the borderline because of all the small issues but im really happy, besides i got like 20 days to truly decide if i like it but for now its a keeper.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
I love it 100%

And when I have 3G coverage, the web experience, compared to V1, makes me love it 150% :)

eric325

Bronze
Aug 7, 2007
I just love the look of my white 3g much more than my original. Besides browsing the internet on 3g is so much faster then edge. Just simply love it.

desibhar

Bronze
Jul 1, 2008
I'm happy with the iPhone, regardless of what the battery whiners say.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
i love my 3g iPhone. the whole experience is much improved over my v1 just with the addition of 3g. The app store over 3g is great as well. And unlike most, I actually prefer the plastic back to the original back. I like the feel and the way the iPhone fits in my hand. So far not a single complaint!

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
I had a Sony Ericsson Z520a. It wasn't a bad phone. It was just a boring phone. And I hardly used my phone to make calls. Using the internet was frustrating.

Compare that with the iPhone 3G. It's like night and day. I intentionally waited for the faster internet speeds because that's what I would use the most. Everything is a positive. It's even a better PHONE. My friends say I sound clearer.

bunnunce_boy3

Bronze
Jan 3, 2008
its an iPhone so i love it..compared to my v1, i hate it...im sure most of the issues will be fixed...its just a matter of time

rmfnla

Bronze
Interesting thread.

I have mixed feelings.

I think the V.1 was better made but I like the shape of the new back. I think it should have been matte finished (like the plastic portion of the V.1) rather than super-slick, especially the black, but it does feel good in the hand.

I've only had the 3G for one day but the sound seems better and the reception seems stronger, even in Edge mode.

I downloaded the new eBay application on the V.1 before I got the 3G and then on the 3G and it was mUCH faster on the new phone.

All of this stuff notwithstanding, it's the "cool phone," especially here in LA-LA Land, and as we all know, it's all about cool.

mad_vtak

Bronze
Dec 21, 2007
I got the White 16GB, and i love it. Battery does seem to drain the battery more, i keep usb cable at work. BUt also if you notice the 1st gens with 2.0 also drain the battery but not as much.

So far i love it and i have no regrets.

debest74

Bronze
May 4, 2007
Palo Alto, CA
I'm so jealous of all of u :) I was not going 2 get it and keep using my bb curve (I sold my v1 iPhone a long time a go)but now that I read all of your good comments about it I want it...but can't find one :(