Be Very Careful with ZiPhone 3

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
So yesterday, in an effort to help someone with a problem they were having getting ZiPhone to jailbreak, activate, and unlock their phone, I downloaded and installed it on my work PC.
I don't sync with this PC, all I do is charge my phone if necessary (rare instances).
So yesterday, after I installed ZiPhone, I looked it over and then closed the program. Today, after a very rigorus session of break. com video watching over Edge, I decided to charge it up again.
Suddenly, ZiPhone launches. I even verified that it was not running in the Task Manager when it started. My phone has all sorts of text scrolling down it and I am afraid to do anything at this point for fear of jacking up the phone.
It finished and my phone rebooted and everything looks ok, but I don't know what the hell just happened or what changed.

As a warning, do NOT launch ZiPhone 3 before you are ready to do anything. This could really mess someone up. I am just glad that my phone seems to be fine, and the only possible change would be that it's unlocked (although I would need to test it). Again, ZiPhone was not listed as running in the task manager or processes, but something was waiting for my phone to be connected. Be careful.

Sep 29, 2007
I'd just tell everyone to deleat the .exe file after using it like I do to save HD space. Also it may be your computer I have never heard of ZiPhone opening due to iPhone. I have a mac and ZiPhone 3 and iLiberty do not launch when I plug in my iPhone

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I jailbroke with it the other day with it and all went well. However, I deleted it after I used it - in fact, I ran it from the Disk Image.

- John

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
ZiPhone was probably launched because iTunes recognized something...

and *maybe* it wanted in as well..

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
iTunes doesn't run automatically on this PC. I've disabled all of that with the exception of AppleMobileDevice.

It's just weird, so I wanted to warn people.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Just a quick update. I figured out what happened to my iPhone after ZiPhone ran. I was checking in Installer for any new updates and well, nothing but BSD Subsystem and Open SSh were installed... according to Installer. I had to go through everything and reinstall them.
Luckily, I keep a text file of all my sources and apps so it wasn't too much of a pain, with the exception of iAno, since it's been completely revamped to Pianist.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Just a quick update. I figured out what happened to my iPhone after ZiPhone ran. I was checking in Installer for any new updates and well, nothing but BSD Subsystem and Open SSh were installed... according to Installer. I had to go through everything and reinstall them.
Luckily, I keep a text file of all my sources and apps so it wasn't too much of a pain, with the exception of iAno, since it's been completely revamped to Pianist.
Hey Hawk - hopefully nothing untoward happens again for you - but just in case, have you checked out TimeCapsule yet? Very nice backup app - you can create restore points for your Installer sources, webclips, Notes DB, SMS DB, Voicemail, Safari bookmarks, Maps data and so on. Really great app ...

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Hey Hawk - hopefully nothing untoward happens again for you - but just in case, have you checked out TimeCapsule yet? Very nice backup app - you can create restore points for your Installer sources, webclips, Notes DB, SMS DB, Voicemail, Safari bookmarks, Maps data and so on. Really great app ...
Isn't that for a MAC though? I'm on XP at home.

I will say that I installed Safari here on my work XP box and it runs very smoothly. A lot like Firefox, but possibly a little faster. The only bad thing is that it doesn't adhere to opening links in a new tab. Opens a new window everytime.

Buffy

Zealot
Gold
Jan 20, 2008

I will say that I installed Safari here on my work XP box and it runs very smoothly. A lot like Firefox, but possibly a little faster. The only bad thing is that it doesn't adhere to opening links in a new tab. Opens a new window everytime.
I went in and edited preferences to have it open in a new tab every time, and you're right; it won't do so unless you right-click and manually select. I could get into the habit pretty easily, though.
Hey! You changed your avatar...does that mean...?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I love the concept of that app but perhaps I'm missing something... with the backups stored locally on the phone, how will that help you in the case of a restore? Is there a way to SSH in there and back them up on your desktop?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I went in and edited preferences to have it open in a new tab every time, and you're right; it won't do so unless you right-click and manually select. I could get into the habit pretty easily, though.
Hey! You changed your avatar...does that mean...?
It's even easier to shift-click for new window and ctrl-click for new tab. At least on a PC.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com

No, not for a Mac (though it's namesake is) - it's a pure iPhone app. And to answer Psylichon's question, yes you can use SSH to copy its restore files over to your computer - so you can just chuck them back on and restore when needed. Obviously it would be sweeter to be able to just sync these across effortlessly, but this is still a potential huge timesaver ...

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
No, not for a Mac (though it's namesake is) - it's a pure iPhone app. And to answer Psylichon's question, yes you can use SSH to copy its restore files over to your computer - so you can just chuck them back on and restore when needed. Obviously it would be sweeter to be able to just sync these across effortlessly, but this is still a potential huge timesaver ...
What directory are the backup files in?

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I just found this app in Installer. I am going to try it out tonight. Thanks!

Lefouineur

May 4, 2008
Ziohone 3 and no free space

Hi!

I installed yesterday ZiPhone 3. It works fine but iTunes mention thant I have no free space (only 480 Mb)! I erase all music, videos and photos!

Can I erase something? Where are the stuff who full my iPhone?

I use a Mac and I can surf folders directly from the iPhone.

Thanks for your help!

JT

phred26

Bronze
Feb 17, 2008
Oakville, ON, Canada
I actually had that happen to me. I was on 1.1.3 and I finally decided to update but I was really nervous about it. But I downloaded ziPhone and I was watching videos on youtube about how to do it, roughly 3 hours later I plugged my iPhone into my laptop to check something (not to update cause I was still too nervous) and it just started without warning luckily it worked fine and now my iPhone is 1.1.4