Beats Music Lowers Yearly Subscription Rate

Discussion in 'iPhone Apps and Games' started by chris, May 28, 2014.

1. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

After Apple's acquisition of Beats, an update in the store reflects a few changes. Most notably, the yearly subscription is now $99, down from the previous price of $119. Users can also enjoy a 14-day free trial of Beats.

Beats Music (free) is available for download from the App Store.

I wrote my thoughts on Beats Music in this preview a few months back.

#1 chris, May 28, 2014
    Last edited: May 26, 2015
  2. ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams Evangelist
    Gold

Hmm, I wonder if AT&T will do away with the $14.99 a month deal they currently offer...

3. sk1wbw

sk1wbw New Member

I tried Beats for a few days. I like how it’s similar to the Google Music app in that you can download music, but the app itself is about the ugliest and most poorly laid out app that I’ve ever used. I deleted it after a few days.

4. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Which is your favorite? There are parts of the Beats app that I don't enjoy – particularly "the sentence". I want music quick and relevant, without having to create a sentence. I use Songza which has music for all moods and times.

5. sk1wbw

sk1wbw New Member

I use iTunes Match. I’ve never had a problem with it. And for $25 a year, it’s a much better deal. Plus we have SiriusXM and I also have Radium on my iPhone and Mac, so I’m pretty much never a click away from what I want to hear. I just can’t see spending $100 a year to listen to music.

6. Santa

Santa Evangelist
    Gold

Aren't you paying $100/yr forSiriusXM?

#6 Santa, Jun 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  7. sk1wbw

sk1wbw New Member

Well, my wife is for the truck, so it doesn’t count as me spending the money. :)

8. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I have Sirius also. While the stations are good, they are very repetitive. I agree, paying for music through a subscription isn't for everyone. I've always owned my music, but I think it might be generational. iTunes downloads are down at a time when iPhones are soaring. People can buy a song 24/7 and download it. It's a trend, seeing a shift from purchase to renting.

I subscribed to Beats for three months. I also spent a bunch of time researching the services for an article. My iTunes library is dialed in, where as my services are not. I think if you invest the time, you can create some amazing playlists that are limitless. Still, it was tough for me to cross that barrier from purchase to rentals. I want to embrace streaming services, but still tepid about moving away from what I know.

9. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I'm skipping Beats. I've deleted Spotify. I now listen to music on my iTunes Radio channels, my Radio Paradise app and the songs I have purchased from iTunes (not many). I'm happy with that. It's free except for any occasional new purchase. I really like Radio Paradise. That couple in Paradise, Ca know what I like to hear.

10. Santa

Santa Evangelist
    Gold

I think I've been doing subscription for about 5 years. I can't imagine being without it. It's such a great way to try out new artists and new releases. No cost. Listen to it once... don't like it? delete it. Listen it a couple of times... like it? Add it to one of my playlists.

Plus my daughter and I pass playlists back and forth all the time. And she picks out some wacko stuff I'd never pay for, but it's fun to listen to every once in a while.

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

What subscription service do you use?

12. Santa

Santa Evangelist
    Gold

Rhapsody.

I started with Yahoo Music in 2007. When they killed their service they moved me to Rhapsody. I've been using them ever since.

13. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Didn't you turn me on to Rhapsody when I left it off my article of best music streaming services?

Oh by the way, Beats can be had for $75 a year. Target is selling Beats Music gift cards at a substantial discount.

14. Santa

Santa Evangelist
    Gold

Yes I did. And I've never forgiven you for not adding it to your review.

15. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

What's funny is that an editor for the Wall Street Journal just tweeted something about adding Songza and Rhapsody to his article. Rhapsody gets no love. I do remember using it and enjoying it. It was around the holidays, so I made heavy use of the Andrea Bocelli collection.