Because I have no where else to vent...

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
I'm at a get together last night and I'm sitting next to my wife. One of the new iPhone commercials comes on and I simply nudge my wife and point to the TV. A guy next to me sees me do it and says the following. You want one of those things? They are way too expensive and you'll spend $200 a month by the time it does everything you want! Wrong. I've used Apple products since I can remember. My dad sold Apple for JR Holcomb's for 25 years. I've talked many of friends and family into purchasing Apple computers. But how to you explain that to a J****** who thinks I just want to next big thing (i.e. xbox 360, ps3, etc.)

Sorry to sound like a weiner...but my wife doesn't need to hear me vent.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Ignorance is bliss, thats how I think of events that unfold like this.

You have to realize that if someone is going to say it costs $200 dollars a month, that they obviously have no idea what they are talking about. He must be of the "oh did you see that youtube of that girl who's iPhone bill was as thick as a phonebook?" club.

Lastly, that should have been your cue to pull yours out and start using it. Show this person up with class, and let them secretly desire the object of their hatred all they want.

gerstyd

Bronze
Sep 17, 2007
Ignorance is bliss, thats how I think of events that unfold like this.

You have to realize that if someone is going to say it costs $200 dollars a month, that they obviously have no idea what they are talking about. He must be of the "oh did you see that youtube of that girl who's iPhone bill was as thick as a phonebook?" club.

Lastly, that should have been your cue to pull yours out and start using it. Show this person up with class, and let them secretly desire the object of their hatred all they want.
i actually spend less money per month on the iPhone than the blackjack i had. I would also never even think of going to this forum on my blackjack, yet as i type i am lying in bed typing on my phone. Best phone ever.

Oh and ding i have another star! Woot!

EJW2202

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
I hate when people start bashing it because of the price and from what they hear just from the news. It makes me not want to take it out sometimes but I do anyway because at the end of the day why should I care. I enjoy it!

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
I'm at a get together last night and I'm sitting next to my wife. One of the new iPhone commercials comes on and I simply nudge my wife and point to the TV. A guy next to me sees me do it and says the following. You want one of those things? They are way too expensive and you'll spend $200 a month by the time it does everything you want! Wrong. I've used Apple products since I can remember. My dad sold Apple for JR Holcomb's for 25 years. I've talked many of friends and family into purchasing Apple computers. But how to you explain that to a J****** who thinks I just want to next big thing (i.e. xbox 360, ps3, etc.)

Sorry to sound like a weiner...but my wife doesn't need to hear me vent.
Your phone bill should not anywhere near $200. My husband and I have 2 lines-he has a regular phone w/data plan and I have iPhone and the bill is about $130. (Should go down next month since I used to have BB and the data plan on that was more).
Why are you worried about what some other guy next to you thinks? I would work on convincing your wife. I worked on my husband for a couple months before I got my iPhone.;)

wrhutch

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
Pottsboro Texas
I see this all of the time. It's my belief that these attention seeking people are just too lazy to research their topics before using them to gain attention. I usually just smile and say that I still plan on my purchase.

i had almost the exact opposite experience last night.
i was at a cookout and received a text and tried as covertly as i could to respond to it without drawing attention to myself, and of course a friend who i haven't seen in a while shouts IS THAT AN iPhone OMG and so a bunch of people passed it around and were generally in awe. i was happy that they were intrigued, because i love the thing, but as more people came out onto the porch to gawk i wanted to explain to each person, "listen, they asked to see it, i swear i'm not showing it off." but i guess i'm just real paranoid.

also, it's amazing how many people's first incredulous response is about viewing photos. i always want to say "OMG IT CAN DO SO MUCH MORE" but i don't so as not to geek out too hard.

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
I see this all of the time. It's my belief that these attention seeking people are just too lazy to research their topics before using them to gain attention. I usually just smile and say that I still plan on my purchase.

And usually the loudest one in the room.

I have people say misinformed stuff to me all the time; mainly I just chalk it up to the fact that they don't know what they're talking about; or its their defense mechanism to explain why they don't have what you have.... usually b/c they cant afford it, so its easier to put it down.