Becoming bricked just by Restoring

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
So I decided to not be jailbroked anymore, and I restored. I don't know why, but I became bricked. Then I did steps a friend told me to do to get unbricked.

Now, I decided to restore iPhone again because syncing and syncing apps to iPhone wasn't working. I restored, and for some reason I'm bricked again.

If anybody is out there to help me, any help would be appreciated. Why is restoring making me be bricked?

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
well, if you can reverse it then you aren't bricked. your iPhone is probably stuck in either recovery mode or DFU mode. what process are you using to restore, have you tried updating? what type of computer are you running? we need more info to be able to help you fix the problem.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
I am running Windows Vista. To restore, I am holding power button, plugging cord into phone, and then pressing restore.

I am on 2.2 firmware.

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
i am not familiar with vista, but why are you holding the power button and then pressing restore? normally (on a mac) i just plug it in and click restore in iTunes. if you can't get your computer to recognize your iPhone, put it into dfu mode by following this link.

http://sleepers.net/blank/dfu-mode/

let me know if that works

it also wouldn't hurt to redownload the 2.2 update as in rare occasions you can get a corrupt file. here is a link for that.

http://www.quickpwn.com/2008/11/firmware-22-download-links.html

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Holding the power button and plugging it in, then pressing restore seems to only work to get it away from that screen, and to restore it successfuly.

iTunes recognizes my Phone. I am downloading 2.2 again now.

As of right now, iTunes says it cant read the contents of iPhone.

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
yah, make sure you know where you save that new copy of 2.2 firmware, then when you restore make sure you restore with that copy of firmware and not your older one. on mac i have to click control and then restore, and select the firmware, so on vista i'm assuming its a right click of some sort.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Ok. Right now iTunes keeps freezing. It was syncing my apps, and freezes! I've had to restart pc multiple times because of this. Should I restart pc, save the 2.2 firmware in iTunes, and try to sync again?

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
ok i would recommend trying it on another computer. be sure to download a copy of 2.2 firmware to it from the link i just provided. once you are done with that you won't have any contacts and will have to sync with your current computer to get them back (if you haven't synced with your dads comp before). if the computer is the issue, then this may pose another problem. if you can, sync your info with your dads computer before you restore, but i am not sure if this is an option with the present state of your iPhone. keep us posted.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Ok. For some reason I cannot sync my apps. It installs them to phone, but they all do not go on there. Only a few. Any ideas?

Should I put 2.2 firmware on iTunes just for the heck of it?

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
you might be SOL with your contacts, sucks a lot, but you seem to be in an odd predicament. i would wait and use your dads computer before going any further. one of my friends had countless issues with his windows pc and brought it to my house and my mac was able to get him all squared away. not quite sure why that is, but for some reasons windows just messes up some iPhones, which seems to be the case in your situation.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Ok. I tried again to put 2.2 on there, but it says Could not be restored. Unknown error has occurred. (5)

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
what is the present state of your iPhone? is it stuck at the boot screen or running normal but just not able to restore?

if it is running i would just wait until tomorrow and use your dads computer.

if it is stuck at the boot screen (or anywhere else for that matter) i would put it into DFU mode and see if that helps.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Right now I reinstalled iTunes, and then did the "Hold Power button, connect, and restore". That works to get iPhone back showing the icons and working. When I sync, it only syncs a few apps to my iPhone, not all of them.

Ok, now my iPhone is restored to factory settings. I can see my icons and all that. I am restoring from a backup now. Can you help me figure out why everytime I restore, it seems to do this issue? Also, when I sync, all my apps arent synced to phone, only a few are.

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
have you ever synced it with your dads comp? i would just wait until tomorrow to do the restore on that. if you haven't synced it with his comp you are gonna lose your contacts (unless you can resync it with your comp) so i would start writing any down that you know or have on there right now.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
I have not synced it with my dads computer.

Ok, now my iPhone is restored to factory settings. I can see my icons and all that. I am restoring from a backup now. Can you help me figure out why everytime I restore, it seems to do this issue? Also, when I sync, all my apps arent synced to phone, only a few are.

iTunes keeps freezing!

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
so if it is restored to factory settings, why are you restoring again?

i really have no clue why every time you restore it it has this issue, more than likely its because your PC is a POS. try eliminating variables, like i said wait until tomorrow, try to back it up and restore with your dads comp, and if it works you can safely assume that the problem lies within your pc. from there you can either sell your pc or take it out back like i do and break it with a sledge hammer.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Right now my iTunes is frozen. I was told to not restart pc, because that could be why I am getting these errors.

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
dude, why are you restoring if your iPhone is restored? i'm tryin to help but you aren't giving me much to work with here