Before I do this

lewisdg

Jan 5, 2008
Sorry for the maybe noob question but I have not found a conclusive answer to this yet.

I have an official o2 iPhone that is activated and working on the 18month contract - it is ootb 1.1.2. I want to jailbreak it - which I know how to do. My question is , lets say 1.1.3 comes out next week and I want to upgrade, how do I get it to a state whereby I can upgrade without the risk of bricking. I understand that if I upgrade the phone will now longer be a jailbroken phone until somebody has got round 1.1.3

cheers guys, I hope this is clear

Lewis

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
When and if a new update comes out all you have to do is connect your phone to iTunes and restore it, then when it is finished just click update.
Yeah, the update will simply erase mods---it'll be like doing a restore but to the new version. I'm not sure what updating does to an unlocked iPhone, though.

mythrowbacknikes

Bronze
Dec 21, 2007
When and if a new update comes out all you have to do is connect your phone to iTunes and restore it, then when it is finished just click update.
I have nothing against you, but I am going to ask someone to confirm if this is true.. I am in the original poster's shoes.. I was going to make a thread word for word, but the OP did it for me.. thanks.

So.. If I mod right now (which i know how to do), and want to upgrade to the upcoming version, I can simply restore the iPhone and update? Is there a guaranty my iPhone won't brick when updating? Afterall, it's a $400 device..

one more question..

when and if i jailbreak.. will there be any problems with the iPhone? any bugs? and will there be a problem with the iPhone and iTunes connectivity? the songs will go in with no problem..