Before I send my new Jawbone back...

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I am wondering if anyone else has this issue with volume: if I turn the volume to 80% or higher it starts to break up noticibly. I am referring to the sound I hear, not what callers hear. If I keep the volume below 80% this does not happen.

When I first got the JB I had the volume all of the way up and was ready to return it as the sound quality was so poor. Only after lowering the volume did the sound change dramatically. But I'd like to be able to turn it all of the way am. So I am wondering if the speaker in my JB is somehow defective, or if this is normal.

Thanks for any input!

--
Mike

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Mine does the same, I turn mine down a little. When I first got the JB I used the factory settings and the sound was clear, then I turned it up and it was static, turned down and you know the rest...

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Mine does the same, I turn mine down a little. When I first got the JB I used the factory settings and the sound was clear, then I turned it up and it was static, turned down and you know the rest...
Thanks, that's exactly what I was hoping to hear (well, kinda ;)).

Anyhoo the volume at 80% isn't that bad. And it could be better if it fit in my ear better (looking to try the Jabra Eargels tip I read about a week or so ago). But all in all it's really the most "usable" BT headset I have ever owned.

--
Mike

Jul 23, 2007
I am wondering if anyone else has this issue with volume: if I turn the volume to 80% or higher it starts to break up noticibly. I am referring to the sound I hear, not what callers hear. If I keep the volume below 80% this does not happen.

When I first got the JB I had the volume all of the way up and was ready to return it as the sound quality was so poor. Only after lowering the volume did the sound change dramatically. But I'd like to be able to turn it all of the way am. So I am wondering if the speaker in my JB is somehow defective, or if this is normal.

Thanks for any input!

--
Mike
Read this.... Addresses your issue:

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/review/l...bluetooth-headset-verdict-best-yet-301978.php

Jul 23, 2007
Well, I suppose... if by "addresses" you mean buying a totally different product! ;)

--
Mike

Well according to the review it's louder and clearer than the Jawbone. I have just ordered the nxZen nx6000 and the BlueAnt Z9. The sales person mentioned the Sound ID, but I don't like the way it looks.

I will provide a review with recordings of multiple environements for:
Apple BT, Jawbone, nxZen nx6000, and the BlueAnt Z9. Ya... I'll have them all. The Apple is my least favorite, but everyone loves the way it looks.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Well according to the review it's louder and clearer than the Jawbone. I have just ordered the nxZen nx6000 and the BlueAnt Z9. The sales person mentioned the Sound ID, but I don't like the way it looks.

I will provide a review with recordings of multiple environements for:
Apple BT, Jawbone, nxZen nx6000, and the BlueAnt Z9. Ya... I'll have them all. The Apple is my least favorite, but everyone loves the way it looks.
At first I thought that it was indeed better than the Jawbone, based on that review. But if you read (pretty far down) the comments you'll see the people who had both actually said the Jawbone was better. Moreover, the iPhone's BT is a bit weak, and the JB seems to compensate for that (a little). I don't know if the nX6000 will do as well as far as static is concerned.

But by all means please post a review on it when you get it; especially if you can compare it to the JB. I really wish all BT headsets worked as well as a typical cordless phone--just work, no static, etc. Oh well...

--
Mike

Paul830

Bronze
Aug 13, 2007
Cleveland, OH
I took my Jawbone back because of volume issues and the fact that the noise canceling did not work as advertised. From all the reviews I read it seemed to be the best bluetooth head set out there... The packaging was awesome, as well as the design... however, the performance was mediocre at best... IMHO...

HanHookie

Sep 9, 2007
I took my Jawbone back because of volume issues and the fact that the noise canceling did not work as advertised. From all the reviews I read it seemed to be the best bluetooth head set out there... The packaging was awesome, as well as the design... however, the performance was mediocre at best... IMHO...
I agree, unfortunately I'm stuck with my Jawbone (30 days have passed and I purchased from an AT&T store). Anyway, my gripe with this thing is that it cannot maintain a clear connection between my phone and the ear piece. I assume that the purpose of a HANDS FREE unit is to not have to hold it. So of course when using the Jawbone I put the phone in my pocket...when I do that, the audio breaks up hardcore. My girlfriend says it sounds like I'm underwater. AMAZING. Whoo hoo, $120 digital crap distortion. Just what I ordered. If the phone is 3 inches from the Jawbone, it sounds amazing...if its a little further, it breaks up like hell. I'm a tall guy, but I don't think that the distance from my ear to my pants pocket is THAT far... Does anyone else have this crackly audio issue? (I had a blackberry 8300 prior to the iPhone, and it behaved the same exact way...so its the Jawbone, not the phones)

mjeagent

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Northern Virginia
I have had similar experiences with the Jawbone and my iPhone.
I have used the Jawbone with other devices (bb, treo, etc.) and found it to work flawless with these devices.
I have poor hearing so I am forced to have the volume up high during calls.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
I saw the ad with the leaf blower, so when the gardner came next door I went and stood about 5 feet from him when the leaf blower was blowin..I called my answering machine and left a message. When I replayed it, I was surprised how quiet it was, only my voice.

But, I did the same thing with the top down on my Solstice, called the machine, and around 45 the canceled me out, but below that it worked fine.

tangfj

Aug 31, 2007
Interesting that you have these issues because I have had the jawbone for quite some time and haven't had any of the problems you have had even with the volume all the way up.

HanHookie

Sep 9, 2007
It's so strange. It wants to work...I know it does. Cmon Jawbone. Anyway... at times the Jawbone is crystal clear even when the iPhone is in my pocket. I'll be stationary, sitting down, and all of a sudden a crazy enraged surge of static happens and its really hard to hear, both ways. This makes me wonder if nearby signals (that I'm not aware of) are interfering... it might be the 'talking via bluetooth while using the microwave' type of deal... (anyone notice that?) anyway, guess all radiowaves cant get along.

garretwp

Bronze
Sep 3, 2007
For anyone with sound volume issues with the Jawbone. Try the Jabra ear gels. They will improve the volume. I have to turn the sound down for the Jawbone with the Jabra ear gels to get a comfortable volume. It does improve the volume level and comfort. You also do not need to wear the ear hook.

- Garrett

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
For anyone with sound volume issues with the Jawbone. Try the Jabra ear gels. They will improve the volume. I have to turn the sound down for the Jawbone with the Jabra ear gels to get a comfortable volume. It does improve the volume level and comfort. You also do not need to wear the ear hook.

- Garrett
Thanks for the advice, but what makes the ear gels produce more volume, the ear piece going farther in the ear?

Also, which is the best brand, I did a google search, and several types were shown?

williamrob42

Bronze
Jul 25, 2007
Hey Tinman,
I am disappointed in the Jawbone, which I thought would be a great device for bluetooth. Actually for me the Apple headset the sound was much better in the earpiece. To me the jawbone sounds like everyone is in a can. LOL.. Anyway I am going back to the Apple Bluetooth. What do you think?:cool: