Belkin Auto Kit killed my iPhone ?

Oct 5, 2007
Not 100% sure if the Belkin Auto Kit killed my iPhone , but be warned...

My iPhone (software unlocked and jailbroken with 3rd party apps) was working fine (only had it for a week). One day i connected it to my Belkin Auto Kit for iPod w/ Dock Connector (Belkin Part # F8V7058-APL which is supposedly OK for iPhones ) to charge in my car (which has been working fine for 2 years on my iPod Video !) About 30 min. later i grabbed my iPhone and noticed it was hot and the screen was full of colorful lines. I disconnected and power cycled the iPhone and it came back on shortly but the battery was very low. From that point on it was acting very dodgy like freezing up, WIFI did not work and i kept getting pop ups on the screen stating "iPhone needs repair -".

I decided to restore the phone using 1.0.2 which gave me the "iPhone could not be restored, an unknown error occurred (6)" at the end of the process and the phone could not be restored.....

I tried on 2 diff. Macs (G5 iMac and Macbook Pro) but same issue on both. Also tried to restore to 1.0.1 but same problem. I then tried to restore to 1.1.1 but now iTunes only detects the iPhone in recovery mode and when i click OK (to restore), iTunes just unmounts the phone and will not even start the restore process. If i keep the iPhone connected, it will mount again a while later but iTunes displays the same recovery mode message and then unmounts when i click OK.

My iPhone is now dead (bricked). It will not power on at all, screen is black.

I am not the only one with this issue. Read "Moshe Levin" 's post in this forum. He had the same issues.

So be careful !

Heidelberg, Germany

Jun 28, 2007
Northern Virginia
what killed you phone was more likely unlocking and 3rd part apps, some of those apps are really buggy
I highly doubt that!
He said that when he returned the iPhone was hot and had strange coloring on the screen. More than likely, the car charger overheated the iPhone.
Don't be so quick to blame this on 3rd party apps. We have no report of a 3rd party app destroying the hardware of an iPhone.
Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
I was just using deductive reasoning, since Apple is one of the few companies to use the same pin connection for most of its devices, it would be highly unlikely for there to be any variant in current or voltage from the charger to over heat the battery, hence the next logical suspect is non oem add ons.

Sep 11, 2007
I killed my iPhone with a car charger, too (not Belkin). I plugged it in and the screen went whacky with vertical lines. Unplugged it and it seemed okay, but it got hot, the battery drained and I couldn't reinstall the software either. Apple replaced the phone outright, so that was good. But I'm afraid to use a car charger ever again!

Sep 14, 2007
Not sure if iPod chargers are really OK for the iPhone, unless specifically having the iPhone lable on them. There is a difference in chargerw. My iPod charger is 12 volt output, while the iPhone is 5 volts. Would explain the hot phone. Sorry to hear about your phone. Have you tried Apple to see if they replace it?

Jun 17, 2007
Sunny South Florida