Benefits of restarts?

TheJustPull

Bronze
Oct 12, 2011
I saw somewhere people suggested re-starting your iPhone a few times a day. I'm assuming this helps with memory management? What are some other benefits and how often do y'all restart yours?

Dec 10, 2009
Clarksburg, WV
I dunno about a few times a day, seems excessive.
You can manage backgrounding apps from the task manager, and delete cookies in settings.
I will do a hard reset about once a week.....

Mugwhamp

Bronze
Jan 3, 2012
I saw somewhere people suggested re-starting your iPhone a few times a day. I'm assuming this helps with memory management? What are some other benefits and how often do y'all restart yours?
I think people as well as machines need to reset occasionally. My experience with the iPhone is that doing a soft (or hard, if necessary) reboot once a week seems to keep the system running smoothly.

Sent from my iPad 2 iOS 5.1 using iCafe app

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
I also agree that a few times a day is excessive. I 'try' to do a reset/reboot of my device before plug gaining it in for the nightly charge. It does seem to help keep things running smooth.

Apple iAddicted

Contributor
Bronze
Feb 20, 2012
Every other morning for me

Sent from my 32GB iPhone 4s on iOS 5.1!
Only thing iPhone is missing is an expandable memory port! Come on Apple give us a microSD port already!

BillF

Mar 5, 2012
Just curious; do you really notice any discernible difference with those resets? I've had my 4S a few weeks now, have lots of apps, but have never reset it. I do shut down apps pretty religiously though.

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
I think I do. It doesn't hurt anything and like all electronics, it's not a bad idea to give them a fresh restart every so often.

BillF

Mar 5, 2012
Agree it's usually good to reset stuff once in a while, but was curious if a performance difference was noticed.

TheJustPull

Bronze
Oct 12, 2011
It might make things open a bit snappier, but I was trying to figure out the benefits because lately I've heard lots of talk about people doing re-starts.