best app to track lost/stolen iPhone?

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
ive never had a phone get lost or stolen before, but i don't want to take any chances on this one. im looking for an app that will be able to track my phone's location in case it ever get lost or stolen. ive seen a few of them in cydia, but i want the one that works the best. and i would like to know what everyones thoughts are on any theyve tried.
thanks a bunch. :)

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
haven't had any experience, but i've read a little and cylay sounds like a good one to me.

smittylube

Bronze
Feb 19, 2008
Silicon Valley
I heard mobile me might work as one person started using it & the original owner found new addresses & phone #'s showing up. then they tracked him down!

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
I heard mobile me might work as one person started using it & the original owner found new addresses & phone #'s showing up. then they tracked him down!
yeah, ive heard that story...

and to follow up on my original post, i tried iLocalis and it seems pretty good. you can go online and you can see where your phone is on a map.

its set to check location every few minutes by default, but i have that feature turned of as to not waste battery life. of course, if i ever lost it, i could go online and turn tracking on.

and also has this cool feature where you can text commands to your phone and you can make the iPhone call the number you text from, or reply with its gps coordinates.

and also, which i think is a new feature you can go online and lock the screen on the phone. what this means that its will display a black screen with the word "locked" and you wont be able to do anything on the phone until you go and unlock it. kinda freaky, but still really cool.

cylay was too weird and confusing and this one is a lot simpler to use. definitely recommend it. :cool:

Ainkor

Bronze
Jan 4, 2009
The biggest bummer of all of these programs is that they assume that the person who has your phone (if stolen) will not replace the SIM. In regards to loosing one, they might be good for that though.

sstalk

Bronze
Mar 25, 2009
Lakeside, CA
Is iLocalis only for jailbroken phones? Because I can't find it in the App Store.

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
Is iLocalis only for jailbroken phones? Because I can't find it in the App Store.
yes, its in cydia. the appstore wont let you run apps in the background so, theres no way for this to work under current SDK restrictions. sorry. :(

sstalk

Bronze
Mar 25, 2009
Lakeside, CA
Thanks for replying with that info Ezekiel. I will have to remember that app once I JB my phone.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
its set to check location every few minutes by default, but i have that feature turned of as to not waste battery life. of course, if i ever lost it, i could go online and turn tracking on.
Sounds cool, I just hate leaving apps running in the background eating up memory. How much system memory does it use if it's running but set to "never" check location? I would set it to never as well, since it's pointless until it's lost and at that point you can adjust that setting from a computer.

rojocrandall

Bronze
Mar 2, 2009
haven't had any experience, but i've read a little and cylay sounds like a good one to me.
Been usng Cylay for a few weeks now - I do not recommend them. Besides a lack of communication, for the last week or so, when I check my location on their web site, it says I my phone is somewhere near Buenos Aires in Argentina...when in fact it is in Southern California.

cconway

May 15, 2009
how could i tell if someone put a tracking app on my phone? I am suspicious that my husband did so he wouldn't get caught cheating

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Look and see if there are any new apps installed. Is it jailbroken?

Redon

Apr 26, 2009
Orlando, FL
Been usng Cylay for a few weeks now - I do not recommend them. Besides a lack of communication, for the last week or so, when I check my location on their web site, it says I my phone is somewhere near Buenos Aires in Argentina...when in fact it is in Southern California.
Im in alaska according to Cylay =P I live in florida.

Redon

Apr 26, 2009
Orlando, FL
how could i tell if someone put a tracking app on my phone? I am suspicious that my husband did so he wouldn't get caught cheating
This is a Apple iphone-tech forum. Not cheating husbands forum.