Best Buy clinging to Air

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
So, I was looking at the air on my lunch today at BB. After some inquiry, I think I might get one this weekend. I asked the manager how many they had in stock (I could only see one) and he said "only one, but they are on hold until Sunday when we open". What? I can't buy one from BB until Sunday am. That's odd. However, I could buy it today, and they'd have one delivered in 3 days.

They must be running some special this weekend, would be my guess.

BTW - I have $350 in gift cards to BB, hence go there and not Apple.

One more thing: they had about 20 MBP's in stock. That doesn't seem "dwindling" to me.

Spikefood

Bronze
Oct 3, 2007
Why would you waste your money? You could get a Macbook or Macbook Pro instead. At least then you would have more than one USB port, Ethernet, and a disk drive, just to name a few.

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
Why would you waste your money? You could get a Macbook or Macbook Pro instead. At least then you would have more than one USB port, Ethernet, and a disk drive, just to name a few.
*agrees*

i think the airs are too expensive and not worth the money for what little they can do...

May 6, 2007
United States
This, my friend, is solely your opinion. In my opinion, the MacBook Air is simply a very different machine from a MacBook or a MacBook Pro. An Air is for the travelers, giving way to a little bit of performance.

Those looking for performance, yes, will likely opt for the MacBook or the MacBook Pro. But Apple is revolutionizing the notebook industry with the Air, demonstrating that nanotechnology in computers can be taken further.

This may be your opinion, but suggesting that someone else's opinion is ridiculous is not a fair thing to do. The Air is an amazing product, and obviously the original poster does as well.

Case and point, feel free to express your opinion but keep the feelings of others in mind.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Glad to see you're heading in the MBA direction. I'm still waiting for the Apple store near me to get some in stock. And yes, I did bash it in the beginning.

May 6, 2007
United States
Glad to see you're heading in the MBA direction. I'm still waiting for the Apple store near me to get some in stock. And yes, I did bash it in the beginning.
I agree, I am happy to see people diving in to the revolution that is the Air. I must admit that I was a bit skeptical at first sight of the technical specs on the Air, but I soon had an epiphany of Apple genius! :laugh2:

I must also admit that I doubt I will be purchasing an Air anytime soon, but I assume that I myself will eventually succumb to the madly thin devices. :p

For now, I must continue to save up for the MacBook Pro.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
I've had a MB and MBP and they were both too big for what I wanted. I have a 20" iMac already, so when I'm at home, I don't need a disk drive (DD). Plus when I travel, I can rip movies to the HDD and not worry about a DD either. Don't think I'm some fresh n00b who is computer illiterate, for that is quite the oppsosite. Search my posts, and you'll see that I have the same opinion as you, except I've analyzed my situation and have found that a MBA would suit my lifestyle just fine.

The only "must have" I think for me would be the Ethernet dongle, which I would end up using.

But thanks for lookin' out. :)

thegasguru

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
I've had a MB and MBP and they were both too big for what I wanted. I have a 20" iMac already, so when I'm at home, I don't need a disk drive (DD). Plus when I travel, I can rip movies to the HDD and not worry about a DD either. Don't think I'm some fresh n00b who is computer illiterate, for that is quite the oppsosite. Search my posts, and you'll see that I have the same opinion as you, except I've analyzed my situation and have found that a MBA would suit my lifestyle just fine.

The only "must have" I think for me would be the Ethernet dongle, which I would end up using.

But thanks for lookin' out. :)
Same here: I'd much rather watch a movie from the hard drive than from the CD drive.

But I prefer to travel with a pocket wifi router than the ethernet dongle. Why not just make a wifi cloud and rest your MBA on your beer belly rather than having to fiddle with the cable?

x666x

Bronze
Jan 24, 2008
Argh, I need to pay off iMac #2 before I can get an MBA... The wait is killing me!

Spikefood

Bronze
Oct 3, 2007
This, my friend, is solely your opinion. In my opinion, the MacBook Air is simply a very different machine from a MacBook or a MacBook Pro. An Air is for the travelers, giving way to a little bit of performance.

Those looking for performance, yes, will likely opt for the MacBook or the MacBook Pro. But Apple is revolutionizing the notebook industry with the Air, demonstrating that nanotechnology in computers can be taken further.

This may be your opinion, but suggesting that someone else's opinion is ridiculous is not a fair thing to do. The Air is an amazing product, and obviously the original poster does as well.

Case and point, feel free to express your opinion but keep the feelings of others in mind.
So when your traveling and need to say, pop in a CD, what do you do? Or you want to use a microphone to talk in a businesss conference, what then? I could live without the extra USBs and the Ethernet, maybe even the microphone port. But the CD drive, thats just ridiculous.

And about "attacking" other peoples opinions I'm far from it. I said nothing offensive, I could have easily said "your an idiot if you buy an Air" but I didn't. I simply asked why the OP would waste his money on a product without even a CD drive.

Doby45

Silver
Aug 21, 2007
Powder Springs, GA
The OP may never need to use a CD. I have a CD drive in my laptop and I can count on one hand in 2 years the number of times I have used it. Once again, the value of the CD drive is your opinion. THAT is what CantWait was getting at.

For that point I also have a Motion LE1600 tablet that does not have a CD drive and I have never found that to be a problem either.

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
rxmxsh-Do you travel a lot? Is that why you want the Air, or do you just like it? Are you getting the 1.6 or 1.8?

I need a new computer and I am trying to decide between the Air and a Macbook. I only use iTunes, iphoto, internet, watch shows, etc. I have no real businesss use for my home computer. This mac I want to buy will be my internet surfing/mess around on computer.

Thanks-I would like your input. I am trying to make non-rash decision.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
rxmxsh-Do you travel a lot? Is that why you want the Air, or do you just like it? Are you getting the 1.6 or 1.8?

I need a new computer and I am trying to decide between the Air and a Macbook. I only use iTunes, iphoto, internet, watch shows, etc. I have no real businesss use for my home computer. This mac I want to buy will be my internet surfing/mess around on computer.

Thanks-I would like your input. I am trying to make non-rash decision.
I used to, and this would have been perfect for that. Now, not so much. This is going to be my "play" computer, pretty much used for what you described. I played around with it today, and loaded it up pretty good (opened a lot of programs) and it didn't do too shabby. Yes, it's no monster, but it'll suffice for just playin' around. When I need power, I'll mosey on in to my office and hit up my iMac.

So with that in mind, this won't heat up on your lap, and it's not heavy/large. It's just right. :D

Test-Pilot

Bronze
Jan 20, 2008
The lack of a CD drive is (IMO) inconsequential. Like someone else already said, watching a movie directly from the hard-drive is better (again, IMO) than from a CD or DVD drive. And for installing software, I've already installed Office as well as some games onto my wife's MBA using our desk-top PC and the "Remote Drive" feature of the MBA. It was seamless and easy, and she doesn't have to carry around the extra weight. So, (again IMO) the other laptops are more of a waste of money when you're looking to make your wife's commute easier and her carry-around load lighter.

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
I used to, and this would have been perfect for that. Now, not so much. This is going to be my "play" computer, pretty much used for what you described. I played around with it today, and loaded it up pretty good (opened a lot of programs) and it didn't do too shabby. Yes, it's no monster, but it'll suffice for just playin' around. When I need power, I'll mosey on in to my office and hit up my iMac.

So with that in mind, this won't heat up on your lap, and it's not heavy/large. It's just right. :D
Thanks for the review. It is really helpful. Can you load stuff on Air from a CD from another computer if it is a PC, or only Mac? (edit-got answer from Test-pilot, I think).

I got a new fast, powerful computer at work for work. I have no need for a lot of power at home.

Spikefood

Bronze
Oct 3, 2007
Thanks for the review. It is really helpful. Can you load stuff on Air from a CD from another computer if it is a PC, or only Mac? (edit-got answer from Test-pilot, I think).

I got a new fast, powerful computer at work for work. I have no need for a lot of power at home.
Watch the demo of the Air on the Apple website, it explains everything.

http://www.apple.com/macbookair/guidedtour/

Test-Pilot

Bronze
Jan 20, 2008

Yes, the Remote-Disc feature works on both PC and Mac. Very easily too, I might add.

It's like having a separate and wireless DVD-drive.

Jun 7, 2007
Queens, NY
So when your traveling and need to say, pop in a CD, what do you do? Or you want to use a microphone to talk in a businesss conference, what then? I could live without the extra USBs and the Ethernet, maybe even the microphone port. But the CD drive, thats just ridiculous.

And about "attacking" other peoples opinions I'm far from it. I said nothing offensive, I could have easily said "your an idiot if you buy an Air" but I didn't. I simply asked why the OP would waste his money on a product without even a CD drive.
Isn't that what most people said when the first iMac's came out? no 1.4 floppy, how would we ever live? I know it seems ridiculous but hey its the truth. Everyone wondered whats going to happen to the 1.4 floppy....but x years later no one seems to care about it. We learn to live and move on. But I think with the Air, it was more of a technological decision to keep the cd rom out than a deliberate decision. It may not have one, but I think if you are willing to purchase an Air, your decision would have to be based on how much you use CD's. For instance, most of us has 1, 2 or 3 iPods per house hold, tell me the last time you actually fired up your portable cd player to listen to a cd? even in your cars these days, its all about the ipod connections to get the music playing. yes i still do have audio cd's...but they are collecting dust cause 100% of my music are on my ipod.

and again that ^ is my opinion. can I get an Amen?