Best Buy for the win

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
So my wife has been wanting a DSLR looking camera, that isn't actually a DSLR. She wants great photos and she likes the look of the lens. When I initially saw the Sony NEX series, I thought it would be perfect for her, until I saw the price. My having a very good DSLR in the Nikon D7000 and a portable Canon S95, it's hard to justify adding a new camera to our household. I never mentioned it and then recently, she saw a commercial for it -- I think it was on X-Factor. She pretty much confirmed what I initially had thought -- this would be a great camera.

Over the past few months, the inevitable happens. Our daughter will do something cute and I'll be summoned to grab the camera. I'll then have to explain why it's not charged, etc. There's also the issue with my computer being the 'family' computer for images. Let's just say the current system isn't great.

Flash forward to this weekend, when Best Buy lures me into their website for a deal on open box items. I start looking around and boom -- Sony NEX 5N Open Box - $375. Still a bit pricey, but they were offering a coupon for 10% off. I do some research and people seem to really enjoy this camera. I call up and they explain it's a display model, without any accessories. I have them put it on hold and make my way to Best Buy. The staff was super friendly and explained how it didn't have everything, but they put together a kit for me. The price would all come out to about $303. I'm like -- great. So they start ring things up and it's not coming up roses. I'm stuck at $384 or so. They explain that it's for the battery, charger -- which was still half off. They keep checking with an assortment of managers. Coming, going. Finally, she comes back and says, "we are selling you the camera for $200." They also discounted the charger and battery, which I did need. In the end, with tax and a price matched 16GB SanDisk Extreme, it was $286.

Her birthday is next month and cannot wait.

I picked up a case, strap, lens cap and screen protector from B&H. I think she'll understand the lack of box. This way she gets a nice solid kit to start with.. I think she's going to love this thing and the bonus for me is that I get my camera back to myself + she'll be taking more photos of Ava. Double bonus!

This isn't my first good experience with Best Buy. I hope they stick around, because I've been nothing but happy with them.

Dec 10, 2009
Clarksburg, WV
Nice, she will be stoked!
I too have had nothing but great experience w/BestBuy open box deals.
Twice in the past month sales staff has further discounted open box pricing and offered deals too good to pass up....

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Nice, she will be stoked!
I too have had nothing but great experience w/BestBuy open box deals.
Twice in the past month sales staff has further discounted open box pricing and offered deals too good to pass up....
The girl today could not have been nicer. From the phone call to the in-store experience.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
That's great to hear. I've had good experiences with BestBuy in Manhattan the couple of times I've been there as well. The sales representatives are very helpful and they seem very knowledgeable, at least the ones I dealt with, and they do give nice discounts. Early Happy Birthday to your wife from me!

Oct 24, 2010
Denver, CO
Sounds like a great deal, I'm sure your wife will love it. I've always been a big fan of Best Buy. My wife and I were quite pleased when they opened up a couple of miles from our house a few years ago. We were a little worried when they were announcing some store closures last year, but our store survived.

jmp316

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 10, 2008
Nice! I hope your wife isn't a member of this forum...

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
She doesn't frequent the site. When she does visit it's usually me asking her to check something out. My secret is safe.

Sent using iCafe app