Best Camera on a smartphone ever?

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by ZR_Yancy, Sep 27, 2014.

1. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

2. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I was on a plane yesterday flying through some really rough turbulence, so I decided to take some video out my window in order to show it. I forgot about optical image stabilization on the Plus. The videos came out looking as if I was flying through calm skies. My Plus was shaking like crazy. I'll try to post some of the videos when I finally get home tonight.

3. Lstrike

Lstrike New Member

Nokia 808 is not a Lumia. Just making a distinction between Lumia (windows phone) vs Nokia 808 which is Symbian based.

Anyways I have actually had/have both phones. The 808 is an incredible camera device but unfortunately an abandoned one. I still use mine but truthfully have been looking for a truly converged device to only carry one phone. Symbian was relatively powerful in features and once it got the last update was actually decent. The ecosystem was of course dead.

The 1020 was a well rounded device and I truly loved it overall excellent device but the camera although excellent was not at the level of the 808. With updates over the time it's been out it got better but not 808 good. The worst part was the speed between shots which was very slow.

Both phones xenon flash made them amazing for freezing night shots. I've taking some excellent images with great details and very little noise. The sensors were very large which absolutely helps with gathering up light.

Honestly my iPhone 6 Plus is performing admirably in my usage so far. The OIS has led to some amazing shots. Detail is overall good (not 808 or 1020 good) but so far I find the iPhone to be far more consistent. Also it is much faster shot to shot. Color compared to the 1020 is also most natural as the 1020 leans to yellow. With OIS and the processing on the 1020 it tends to over brighten scenes at night you get some shots that look very different than real life. Way to bright to the point where it doesn't even look like night.

The 808 is a champ all around but with no OIS you have to be carefully at night when you dial it in. You can get some great shots but you need a tripod or to set it somewhere still. If you don't do that it's easy to get blurry shots. Again take your time with it and nothing on the market comes close on a camera phone. Honestly though what does it matter on a phone that couldn't possibly be recommended for the average user?

The Lumia 1020 is excellent but I occasionally got some shake out of nighttime or indoor shots plus some yellowing of whites plus, worst yet, by the time you figure out the shot came out poor and attempt to reshoot the moment is gone. The camera is just to slow.

The iPhone 6 plus to me is currently the most rounded camera to come out on a phone for sure. And this is coming from a guy who has had the Samsung GS5, Sony Xperia Z2 (major let down), Nokia n8, Nokia 808, Nokia Lumia 1020 as of late.

I will still need to give it a couple weeks under various lighting conditions to see if it is good enough to ultimately allow me to sell the 808 which I still carry to this day. I will udpdate here soon.

4. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

I could tell the minute I used the camera

5. Cjvdh

Cjvdh Zealot
    Gold

I guess I will have to make my own judgement of the camera once I personally receive it as I can't seem to get a straight answer from people some say it's the best ever and some say they don't notice a difference from the iPhone 5 camera they previously used.

6. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

The thing is, the average user who doesn't know much about photography may not know what to look for so it really comes down to the knowledge of the individual you're asking.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

New features in ProCamera 8 and Camera+ will make my photos better on my iP 5. Great cameras.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

8. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Here is one of the videos I shot out of the plane's windows when we were hitting some heavy turbulence. The camera tapped the windows several times and you can see a slight shake when that happens, but generally the phone was bobbing and weaving quite a bit while filming.

9. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Here's a video of the landing. The phone bumped the window a few times, but everything else was ready steady.

10. ricks2gtouch

ricks2gtouch Zealot
    Silver

Dang, that OIS really works great.

11. jaydoc1

jaydoc1 Contributor
    Silver

Thought I'd share as well. My wife is the unofficial videographer on our Jeep adventures and we just used the 6 Plus for the first time this weekend on Chihuahua Gulch by Keystone, Colorado. This is a short video of the first section. (select HD obviously) This was an incredibly rocky/rough road.

Contrast that with this video shot with her 5S on the Alpine Loop. Fast forward to 3:48 (or watch the whole thing if you like). The road is ten times smoother than Chihuahua but watch how the video is all over the place. Blame YouTube for the sounds of silence at the beginning of the video. Apparently Moby doesn't want "Extreme Ways" on amateur video.

12. Muckcityjustin

Gold

Pretty smooth landing. Kudos to the captain.

13. Njshoremom4gurlz

Njshoremom4gurlz Contributor
    Silver

Awesome Videos!!!!!

14. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Well, the OIS made it even better. :D