Best/cheapest way to ship iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone 4' started by Jdsmitty10, Nov 10, 2012.

1. Jdsmitty10

Jdsmitty10
    Expand Collapse
    Bronze

Oct 19, 2010
    Hello,
    I sold my wife and I's iPhone 4's 16 gig last night for $260 +9.99 ship and $246+ 9.99 shipping. I am real happy that I am making money by upgrading to the iPhone 5.

For those of you who have sold and shipped iPhones in their original boxes how did you ship them? Would they fit in a small priority mail flat rate box? Best and cheapest ways to ship?

Thanks for your input!

2. Sponsored Advertisement

3. imutter

imutter
    Expand Collapse
    Genius
    Gold

Apr 4, 2011
    It depends
    Flat rate boxes are always more for me (e-bay) they only are cheaper if you have a very heavy item.
    If it goes a close distance I like UPS (look at zones)
    Otherwise I use USPS try sending it media what is the cheapest

4. iErik

iErik
    Expand Collapse
    Zealot
    Gold

Oct 27, 2007
    Don't use Media Mail - it can only be used for educational materials.

If it were me I'd just try to find a plain box and ship it USPS Priority. The iPhone is small enough where it usually costs less than using a medium flat rate box (it definitely won't fit in a small). Also, make sure you get delivery/signature confirmation, especially if you sold on eBay.

5. chris

chris
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Administrator

Jun 10, 2006
    I used USPS and insured for the full amount. I think it was around $16 or so. Better safe than sorry.

6. imutter

imutter
    Expand Collapse
    Genius
    Gold

Apr 4, 2011
    I ask the buyer if they want to upgrade to insurance.
    But then I do not sell electronics/phones on e-bay.

7. Bambamone3

Bambamone3
    Expand Collapse

Sep 19, 2012
    Ok I sold two 4s's in the og box and shipped them in a small flat rate box along with a otterbox case and some other cases. Keep in mind that there will be a small bulge in the box but the iPhone box is and extra layer of protection in itself. And a little extra tape would help. Hey If it fits it ships lol.

8. snowtrooper1966

snowtrooper1966
    Expand Collapse
    Genius
    Gold

Dec 10, 2009
    Use your own box, ship postal service priority with insurance and delivery confirmation.
    As a seller on eBay, insurance and delivery confirmation is the best policy.
    Keeps you (delivery confirmation, should any issues arise, such as buyer claiming they never received item) and the buyer protected.

9. kaelinlei

kaelinlei
    Expand Collapse
    Bronze

Oct 17, 2011
    I have sold multiple iPhones on eBay. I always ship it Priority Mail (or UPS) with signature confirmation, tracking and insured. If you don't have signature confirmation on orders over $250 and the buyer says that they didn't get it, you are held liable. Delivery confirmation or not, signature confirmation is a must. I had forgotten to do that with one of my phones and I almost had a heart attack when I read that in the seller rules. Never forgetting that again!

Sent from my iPad using iCafe app

10. bitemyapple

bitemyapple
    Expand Collapse
    Bronze

Jan 21, 2014
    I just sold a 5c over on Swapper. I was going to have it shipped by Friday, I believe that is the rules. Anyways, I was just curious on which service to use, the cheapest/trusted? FedEX, USPS, UPS, etc. Who do I use and how should I properly protect the iPhone, it'll be shipping to Seattle, WA. It's going from coast to coast.

I already do have a small box, but I don't know if I could something smaller to save money. The box I have already has labels on the sides, does that matter? And I don't have any packing paper or bubble wrap. Should I get the packing material at one of the delivery stores or buy it from say a K-Mart or Walmart?

And does it cost extra to make the buyer have to sign for it when it's dropped? The last phone I sold on Swappa, thankfully it was only $120, the final delivery transcript said that it was just left at the front door. He could of easily said he never got it. I'm using PayPal again, but I don't know it works, what I'm protected by. I don't want him to say it was broken when he received it when it really wasn't. How do I properly protect myself?

I sold the iPhone for $450, I thought I should of waited to got more, I was kind of mad at myself that I jumped the gun at that low of a price. Anyways, Swappa took $10 from me for their share, PayPal took $13.06 in fees for the transaction and transferring of the money to my bank account. I ended up pocketing $426.94. The 16gb 5c retails for $549.99 at VZW. I guess that's not too bad.

Now I just got to figure how ship this phone as cheaply as possible, but still get it there in one piece.

Thanks everyone...

11. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin
    Expand Collapse
    Genius
    Gold

Oct 29, 2013
    I'd use the USPS. It's by weight, not package size. Might cost about $3 or so. As for how you package it, I don't know what you have available. Anything to give it padding.

12. bitemyapple

bitemyapple
    Expand Collapse
    Bronze

Jan 21, 2014
    Why do you recommend USPS? At UPS it cost me about $15 to ship my old HTC Rezound to Colorado. It was like 1lb maybe.

#11 bitemyapple, Feb 5, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  13. bitemyapple

bitemyapple
    Expand Collapse
    Bronze

Jan 21, 2014
    I see Media Mail is only $2.69 from USPS. I wonder if Media Mails also mean they ship phones.

14. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin
    Expand Collapse
    Genius
    Gold

Oct 29, 2013
    I imagine so. The USPS will ship most anything. There is a short list of no-no's. But a phone is not on that list.

15. bitemyapple

bitemyapple
    Expand Collapse
    Bronze

Jan 21, 2014
    I just got to find out if they require the buyer to sign for it or if that cost extra? And I need to find out if I can buy insurance there and how much it would cost. I don't know if I should get insurance on it or not, doesn't PayPal protect me in that area?

16. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin
    Expand Collapse
    Genius
    Gold

Oct 29, 2013
    Was your first sentence a statement or question? Call and ask. They will insure packages, but they do charge. I don't know about PayPal.

17. Europa

Europa
    Expand Collapse
    Senior Moderator

Dec 12, 2008
    It won't be that cheap. Priority mail packages shipped through them are a minimum of around $5.75, but that's with no insurance.

18. Europa

Europa
    Expand Collapse
    Senior Moderator

Dec 12, 2008
    It's extremely slow. I wouldn't ship it to the seller that way if you want good feedback. I highly recommend insuring it as well.

19. Napoleon PhoneApart

Napoleon PhoneApart
    Expand Collapse
    Senior Moderator

Jun 19, 2007
    Media Mail can literally take weeks. I've seen something sent to me via Media Mail travel up and down the east coast several times before finally taking a final detour into my area. It can even travel to within ten miles of me and then take off again.

20. alicepattinson

alicepattinson
    Expand Collapse
    Bronze

Feb 3, 2013
    I think the most cheapest is the Post Office :) But delivery time will be 25-30 days

21. Napoleon PhoneApart

Napoleon PhoneApart
    Expand Collapse
    Senior Moderator

Jun 19, 2007
    Media Mail is a Post Office service.